NFL owners are 'f-----g terrified' of Trump, report says

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

NFL owners are 'f-----g terrified' of Trump, report says

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 am

Ellipsis in original.

NFL owners are 'f-----g terrified' of Trump, report says (Fox)

Synopsis:
The ubiquitous unnamed source strikes again.

... After a tumultuous 2017 season, which saw NFL attendance and TV ratings drop as President Trump and others criticized on-field protests by many of the league's players, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced this week that the league would fine any team or league employee if they failed “to stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.”

Trump came out in support of the NFL’s decision Thursday and blasted players who kneel during the anthem. ...

Analysis:
In any case it's not Trump they are afraid of, it's their customers.
They may be Trump voters (some of them), but Trump cannot order them to attend games.

But it's Fox and "blaming" Trump makes him look good their customers.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: NFL owners are 'f-----g terrified' of Trump, report says

Postby Pyrrho » Sat May 26, 2018 12:22 am

They are probably more afraid of falling attendance and lower TV ratings.

Follow the money.

They could solve the kneeling question by not having the TV cameras pan over the line of players during the anthem.

What a waste of time, effort, and babble over five minutes of bad singing.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Sat May 26, 2018 12:55 am

I have 0 fucks for them
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

xouper

Postby xouper » Sat May 26, 2018 4:33 am

Grammatron wrote:I have 0 fucks for them

My sentiments exactly.

Pyrrho wrote:Follow the money.

Exactly.

What other business allows their employees (on company time) to make a controversial political spectacle in front of paying customers that don't want to see it?

The NBA doesn't allow it, and their rules are more strict than the new NFL rules, so anyone who complains about the new NFL rules and does not also complain about the NBA rules, is a hypocrite.

So where is all the outrage about the NBA rules against player protests during the anthem?

Enquiring Minds Wanna Know™.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 am

It is not like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOWPusM_1RY fucked up a ham sandwich before.

--J.D.

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akqs5jmnMak

P.P.S. What?
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat May 26, 2018 10:51 am

xouper wrote:
Grammatron wrote:I have 0 fucks for them

My sentiments exactly.

Pyrrho wrote:Follow the money.

Exactly.

What other business allows their employees (on company time) to make a controversial political spectacle in front of paying customers that don't want to see it?

The NBA doesn't allow it, and their rules are more strict than the new NFL rules, so anyone who complains about the new NFL rules and does not also complain about the NBA rules, is a hypocrite.

So where is all the outrage about the NBA rules against player protests during the anthem?

Enquiring Minds Wanna Know™.

I think the customers who are complaining about it, up to and including the President of the United States, are overreacting and are acting like children.

It is only controversial because the news media and political hacks have made it controversial. Ignoring it has not occurred to people...and there is money to be made by sensationalizing it, political capital to be made by exploiting it.

Companies can rightfully set whatever rules they like, and can penalize their employees however they wish. Freedom of speech is still viable, even if there are consequences such as losing one's job. These days, society seems all too wiling to sacrifice that freedom, even people who are vociferous about defending that freedom, even people who have sworn oaths to defend that freedom, and I find that to be far more troubling than a handful of professional athletes silently taking a knee or raising a fist.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

xouper

Postby xouper » Sat May 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I think the customers who are complaining about it, up to and including the President of the United States, are overreacting and are acting like children.

Some customers are overreacting and are acting like children, but in my opinion, most aren't.

Perhaps I am not clear on the point you are trying to make.

Most customers who don't like what they see on TV simply change the channel, or in the case of a live event in a sports stadium, simply stop buying tickets. That is not necessarily a childish reaction or an overreaction. That's simply how a free market works.

No one is required to see or listen to anything they don't want to see or hear. Free speech does not include the right to make anyone listen or watch. Walking away from something one does not want to hear or see is a perfectly normal reaction.

In my opinion, the NFL player-protesters are behaving like spoiled brats. They are claiming a right for themselves that almost no one else in the US has. Those players do not have my sympathy.

Pyrrho wrote:Companies can rightfully set whatever rules they like, and can penalize their employees however they wish. Freedom of speech is still viable, even if there are consequences such as losing one's job. These days, society seems all too wiling to sacrifice that freedom, even people who are vociferous about defending that freedom, even people who have sworn oaths to defend that freedom, and I find that to be far more troubling than a handful of professional athletes silently taking a knee or raising a fist.

Except that the First Amendment applies only to government, not private organizations.

No one has a right to come onto your private property and say (or express) whatever they want. More specifically, in the workplace, no employee (while on the job) has the right to make controversial political protests in front of the paying customers. The NFL players are demanding a right that almost no one else has.

Example: When the Dallas Cowboys wanted to express their support for recently shot Dallas police officers, the NFL said no. Where was the outrage at the NFL then for suppression of speech? And there are many more examples of how the NFL restricts players expression while on the job. No celebrating in the endzone, etc. As is their right as a private business. And none of that is a violation of any labor law.

Now that I've complained and expressed my opinion, are you going to accuse me personally of overreacting and acting like a child? :wink:

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun May 27, 2018 6:39 am

All of these posts, save mine--Humble, Yet MagNIfIcent, are conduct detrimental.

In the Image

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun May 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Does anyone in a regular working class or middle class job have the right to protest on the job?

When I worked in private industry it didn't even come up. That's how inconceivable it was.

As a federal employee covered by the Hatch Act, I would face official discipline just for wearing a discreet campaign button.

xouper

Postby xouper » Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Pyrrho wrote:It is only controversial because the news media and political hacks have made it controversial.

Respectfully, I disagree. Here's my interpretation:

The initial protest event by Kaepernick was intended to be controversial, as he readily admitted.

www.nfl.com/news/story/ wrote:
. . . "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," . . . Kaepernick said that he is aware of what he is doing and that he knows it will not sit well with a lot of people, . . .

Intentionally disrespecting the American flag as part of a political protest is automatically a move that is designed to stir up controversy. That's one obvious way to get media attention for your cause. It did not become controversial only after the media or politicians jumped into the fray. The media and politicians jumped in precisely because it was already controversial.

That is not to say that the media (and politicians) did not fan the flames in this case, but clearly it is not possible to fan the flames if there isn't any flame to begin with.

Perhaps our disagreement on this point stems from a core principle: I believe that intentionally showing disrespect for one's country is automatically controversial, by definition. And I believe that refusing to stand for the anthem is an intentional act of disrespect for the flag and the country, by definition. And I suspect I am not in the minority in my belief.

www.cbsnews.com/news/ wrote:Most Americans think refusing to stand for the national anthem is disrespectful to the country, the military and the American flag.

xouper

Postby xouper » Sun May 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Does anyone in a regular working class or middle class job have the right to protest on the job?

Answered in a previous post: viewtopic.php?p=915882#p915882

xouper wrote:In my opinion, the NFL player-protesters are . . . are claiming a right for themselves that almost no one else in the US has.

As a former customer of the NFL, I have the right to refuse to patronize their business, and I have the right express why.

If that causes some people to think of me as being childish, then so be it. I will not be bullied into remaining a customer of a product I no longer want.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun May 27, 2018 11:54 pm

Yeah OK, but have you ever heard of it happening?

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon May 28, 2018 2:06 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Yeah OK, but have you ever heard of it happening?

If you are asking do I know of anyone whose employer allows them (while on the job) to express controversial political opinions that might offend customers, then no, I have no such personal knowledge. I tried searching for examples, but my google-fu has failed me.

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 am

Speaking of fallacies:

xouper wrote:Perhaps our disagreement on this point stems from a core principle: I believe that intentionally showing disrespect for one's country is automatically controversial, by definition. And I believe that refusing to stand for the anthem is an intentional act of disrespect for the flag and the country, by definition. And I suspect I am not in the minority in my belief.

It would be a fallacy if I were arguing that my belief is correct merely because it is supported by a bigly number of people.

I assume Doctor X (and certain others) already know the Latin name for that fallacy: argumentum ad populum.

But that is not the argument I was trying to make.

(I mention this only in case anyone perceives an ambiguity in my previous post and would be helped by clarification of what I intended to say.)

I mention the population merely in support of my claim that protesting the flag is automatically controversial even before any media (or politicians) get involved. (It may not be sufficient support — there may be other requirements to meet — but that's another story.)

For Doctor X (and certain others), here is the Latin etymology: controversia.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon May 28, 2018 2:28 am

"Conduct unbecoming."

Quod erat demonstrandum

Shantih shantih shantih

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Update:

NFL stars 'threaten to sit out games until Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid are signed by new teams'
Daily Fail

Several NFL stars are reportedly considering not playing until Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid are signed by teams.

According to columnist Shaun King, the protesting players are hoping that up to 25 per cent of the league will join them in sitting out.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Update:

NFL stars 'threaten to sit out games until Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid are signed by new teams'
Daily Fail

Several NFL stars are reportedly considering not playing until Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid are signed by teams.

According to columnist Shaun King, the protesting players are hoping that up to 25 per cent of the league will join them in sitting out.

I predict less than .25%. Four and a quarter.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Considering the players have union representation, would this be a "wildcat strike"? :lmao:

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Does anyone in a regular working class or middle class job have the right to protest on the job?

When I worked in private industry it didn't even come up. That's how inconceivable it was.

As a federal employee covered by the Hatch Act, I would face official discipline just for wearing a discreet campaign button.

It happens all the time. Calling kneeling a protest is a stretch though. It has more in common with wearing a flag pin than manning barricades in the streets. Using the word "protest" makes it sound far more intrusive than it is, which is not at all.

It is an employee-employer issue for the most part. It is however curious when people who claim to be economic conservatives see nothing wrong with the president forcing a private business to adopt a code of employee behavior that suits his political preference.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:37 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:It is however curious when people who claim to be economic conservatives see nothing wrong with the president forcing a private business to adopt a code of employee behavior that suits his political preference.

Especially this bit.

Of course it could be argued that the NFL is part of the "deep state" :BigGrin3:

Return to “Sports & Recreation”