A pitcher who can hit?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

A pitcher who can hit?

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 am

There was Babe Ruth, and as far as I know very few others. And he's Japanese!! :upsidedown:

Of course, Ruth gave up pitching because he was so good at hitting. But he was no slouch at pitching.

He's going to the Angels.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2170 ... hei-ohtani

Shohei Ohtani is an international superstar along the lines of Ichiro Suzuki, and a 23-year-old talent with the long-term horizon of a Mike Trout or Bryce Harper. Most important, Ohtani wants to be a pitcher and a hitter on a regular basis. With the possible exception of Babe Ruth and Brooks Kieschnick, few players have aspired to that level of versatility.

So before Ohtani went about the business of picking a team, agent Nez Balelo and CAA took an unusual step and sent a questionnaire asking teams to outline their plans, philosophies and systems in place to help make this unprecedented partnership work.

"I didn't think the questionnaire was a big deal, because teams already had figured out they better have answers to those questions," said the general manager for a team that did not make Ohtani's final cut. "If you couldn't figure out what was going to be important, then you had no shot."

On Friday afternoon, the mystery came to an end. Ohtani and CAA announced that he had picked the Los Angeles Angels over six other finalists. Come spring training, Ohtani will join Trout and surefire Hall of Famer Albert Pujols in making Tempe Diablo Stadium a star-powered Cactus League destination.

The Angels can take gratification in having outlasted the competition. But in some respects, the hard work is just beginning. Here are some hurdles Ohtani and his new team will have to traverse in his transition from Japanese sensation to Major League Baseball fixture.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: A pitcher who can hit?

Postby Doctor X » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I believe he insisted on being the only Japanese player on a team.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 pm

I didn't hear that. I assume that means the Angels don't have another Japanese player? Kind of a weird condition. But apparently he was free to choose pretty much any team that made a bid and he didn't want to go to an east coast team.

There may be an investigation:

https://deadspin.com/mlbs-stupid-rules- ... 1821128785
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 pm

I heard that is why he did not want to go to the Seamen Mariners which, nowadays, is basically a stop for Japanese Original tourists.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Watching him pitch right now before I have to leave for work. He's perfect through 5 innings.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 am

Well, I had my doubts about whether he would live up to the hype, but although the season has barely begun, so far at least he has had a very very impressive start, both as a pitcher and as a hitter.

He has made two starts as a pitcher and won both starts. In his second start today, he didn't allow a hit or a walk until the 7th inning. He also struck out 12. I watched some of this game before going to work this morning and he had a wicked splitter going that was making lots of batters swing and miss. Also a 4-seamer that touched 99 or 100 on the radar multiple times. Nobody seemed to be able to hit either of them. He also has a slider and a curve, but didn't use them very much.
Meanwhile on the days when he wasn't pitching he has been the DH 4 times and homered in 3 of those games. So he's been making an impact both at the plate and on the mound.

Shohei Ohtani flirts with perfect game in mesmerizing first home start

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Los Angeles Angels right-hander Shohei Ohtani, the two-way player from Japan making his second major league start, struck out 12 Oakland A’s across seven shutout innings on Sunday in a 6-1 win. Pitching for the first time at Angel Stadium, Ohtani did not allow a hit until there was one out in the seventh inning.

In 2 1/2 breathtaking hours of power and finesse, the 23-year-old Ohtani mixed fastballs that reached 100 mph with a curveball that fluttered at 68 mph. In between, Ohtani frustrated A’s hitters with an array of split-fingered fastballs and sliders.

He retired the first 19 hitters in order, 11 by strikeout. Only three balls reached the outfield. By the fifth inning, Angels fans rose and cheered two-strike counts, urging Ohtani forward, celebrating his dominance.

Attempting to become the first regular two-way player of significance in nearly a century, an effort that has brought him recognition as “the Japanese Babe Ruth”, Ohtani is batting .389 with three home runs in four games as the Angels designated-hitter. As a pitcher, he is 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA, with 18 strikeouts in 14 innings.

Apparently 25 swing-and-misses (not counting foul balls).

I don't know if you can actually watch this video, but it's a condensed version of the game on MLB.com:

https://www.mlb.com/video/cg-oaklaa-4818/c-1918944883
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:36 am

Yet.

Due to Some Plan no one can fathom, the Tampa Bay DEVIL Rays are "pitching bullpen" as in they basically approach some games with a bull pen. How does this work?

They gave up 6 runs in the 8th inning with two outs to erase a 7-2 lead into a 7-8 loss.

How is this relevant?

Their pitchers are batting. I would write "hitting," but that would imply they actually make contact with the ball.

Back to this guy. See if he lasts a season.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 am

These things do happen in baseball. Runs often come in bunches. There's no way to "take a knee" to run out the clock like in football, you have to make outs or it's not over.

Point taken though, he still has to prove he can be good for a whole season. Everyone has a slump eventually. But at least he got off to a good start, which is something.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:44 am

Seriously, I have nothing against him. "Back in the Day," though, you could see it happening. Nowadays, things have been specialized, and "teams know you" so they can decide how to pitch to you. MLB pitcher end up devoting their time to what makes them money and keeps them on a team: pitching.

So out of curiosity, Highest Batting Averages for Pitchers in the DH Ear, and it just does not compare.

Looking up the "most hits by a pitcher" kept getting me "most hit by pitcher or "most batters hit." I suppose, by default, Babe Ruth gets "most home runs" since he was only surpassed by Hank Aaron.

As a Glorious Red Sox fan I use to torment MFYs fans that, for years, "Dice-K" Matsuzaka had MOAR RBIs THAN A-FRAUD McSLAPPY!11!!!11 IN THE POAST GAMES!!11!!

He plated two in the 2007 WS.

Excuse me . . . I need a moment. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 am

Yep. I'm pretty sure all of those pitchers on that list were National League pitchers, because you need a minimum of 50 PAs to qualify. And to be fair, I don't think Ohtani has 50 PAs yet. By the end of the season he should probably have some sort of American League record at the very least, because generally pitchers never hit in American League games except on very rare occasions, or during interleague play when they play away games at National League teams. (And other than the World Series, there was no interleague play prior to 1997.)
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Are you going to be watching the Red Sox-Angels game today? I'll be at work so I can't watch but I'll follow the progress.

Should be an interesting one for a few reasons: Ohtani is pitching. He was going to pitch on Sunday, but that game was postponed for weather. Both teams are off to very hot starts. The Angels are 13-3, the Sox 13-2 so far. So should be a good game. Of course, anything can happen in baseball.
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 am

Leadoff hitter Mookie Betts took him deep in the first.

He did it for the Mookie! Did it for the Mookie! Did it for the Mookie!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

shemp

Postby shemp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 am

Ohtani has struggled. 66 pitches in 2 innings. Sox up 3-0. His off-speed stuff is not impressive and his control is poor.
Last edited by shemp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

shemp

Postby shemp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:11 am

And that's it for him. 2 innings, 3 earned runs, 66 pitches, 34 strikes.

Edit: And the Sox jump all over his replacement with 3 homers, 8-0 middle of the 3rd.
Last edited by shemp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 am

Apparently they didn't even send him out there for the third.

Just not his best night I guess.
William Shakespeare

shemp

Postby shemp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:25 am

I bet a lot of people in Japan changed TV channels quickly.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 am

Probably, yeah. It's a workday here for most people anyway. It's still just 12:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. Game started at 11:07 Japan time.
William Shakespeare

shemp

Postby shemp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:54 am

It's reported now that Ohtani developed a blister.

On the local telecast, Johnny Gomes is in the booth and showed the differences between the Japanese and American balls. The Japanese ball is rougher and slightly smaller. So I can see where it will take some time for Ohtani to get used to it. When Daisuke Matsuzaka came over to the Sox in 2007, he had a so-so first season (15-12, 4.40), then he was great (18-3, 2.90) in 2008. Then he wrecked his arm and went south fast.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 am

I thought he pitched well. . . .

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 am

3 homers on the night for Betts. Good thing I have him on my fantasy team.

Unfortunately he's one of the few bright spots so far.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Sports & Recreation”