Only Don't Tell Me You're Innocent, ESPN

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Only Don't Tell Me You're Innocent, ESPN

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 pm

"Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry."

From an interesting article:
ESPN Firing Over A Hundred Employees Today

By Clay Travis
Apr 26, 2017 at 9:44a ET

For several years I have been writing on this site about the coming business implosion at ESPN. Today, with the announcement that over 100 on air talent at ESPN were being let go, many will finally come to realize what Outkick readers have read here for the past several years -- ESPN's business model is fundamentally broken and there is no saving it. The continuing collapse of ESPN is the biggest story in sports -- the sub-prime mortgage crisis with bouncing balls.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

That collapse has been aided by ESPN's absurd decision to turn into MSESPN, a left wing sports network, but that's more a symptom of the collapse than it is a cause of the collapse. ESPN's business is collapsing and the network is desperately trying to find a way to stay above water. You know how a drowning person flails in the water before slipping under? ESPN's left wing shift is that flailing. They think going left wing will save them. The reality is the opposite, ESPN going left wing was like giving a drowning person a big rock to hold and thinking it would keep them from drowning. Instead, it just made them sink even faster. This is not a fatuous claim. ESPN does have a very stark double-standard on politics, even after Keith Untermensch was sacked.

That's why ratings are down 16% this year compared to last year and viewers are abandoning the network in droves.

Middle America wants to pop a beer and listen to sports talk, they don't want to be lectured about why Caitlyn Jenner is a hero, Michael Sam is the new Jackie Robinson of sports, and Colin Kaepernick is the Rosa Parks of football. ESPN made the mistake of trying to make liberal social media losers happy and as a result lost millions of viewers. They also do not really want to be lectured about Right-Wing/PsychoCon agenda either.

ESPN has spent the past several years disputing all of my columns about their business imploding, sending one person after another, and one website after another in wave after wave to argue that I'm wrong, that my numbers are off, that their business remains sound. As recently as seven weeks ago the head of ESPN PR was Tweeting me about this Outkick article, "Your number is vastly inaccurate, click-chasing, and irresponsible."
Your number is vastly inaccurate, click-chasing and irresponsible. https://t.co/WT7Er0gHsU
— Chris LaPlaca (@espn_chris) March 6, 2017

Today I fired back at him.
Care to retract your "vastly inaccurate, click-chasing and irresponsible" Tweet to me? https://t.co/dnbJ6b77LK
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) April 26, 2017
If anything the only way I was "wildly inaccurate" was by underestimating how many people at ESPN were going to be fired.

As with most big stories Outkick has covered -- conference expansion, the fake Missouri protests, the Peyton Manning mooning incident, Ryan Lochte's peeing outside and being robbed -- this site has been 100% right and the worldwide leader in sports has been 100% wrong. That's why Outkick is growing like gangbusters and ESPN is firing people left and right. "Can I Have a Gloat?!" [Oh, you heartless gloater!--Ed.]

The simple truth of the matter is this -- ESPN spent way too much on sports rights just as its cable and satellite subscriptions began to collapse. On track for $8 billion in programming costs in 2017, ESPN will rack up its 15 millionth lost subscriber since 2011. Every single day so far in 2017 over 10,000 people have left ESPN. The numbers are astonishing and the collapse is rapid. All those lost subscribers add up to big money -- that's over $1.3 billion a year in money that comes off ESPN's books every year. Which is why the CowardlyCunt [Stop that.--Ed.] cannot watch Vancouver FAIL on ESPN. There is no listing for hockey since ESPN bought no rights for hockey. Instead, you can find information on--I am not making this up--WNBA, soccer, college baseball, and--for DanishDynamite--the Little League World Series. And ESPN is on the hook for billions and billions a year for all the years ahead. That's guaranteed payments to leagues that ESPN can't escape no matter how many employees it fires.

As I've written before, if the current subscriber loss trajectory keeps up ESPN will begin losing money by 2021. And if the subscriber losses accelerate it will happen even sooner than that.

[Discussion on how ESPN locked itself into rights fees to different professional sports. This has not prevented other networks, including non-cable-based, covering sports though. "Snipped"--Ed.]

From 1979 to 2011 ESPN was part of the greatest business in the history of media. But from 2011 on we're going to witness the biggest media collapse since AOL. It's creative destruction writ large and ESPN is a dead company walking. Today sucks for many employees, but it was inevitable because the sports rights bubble has burst and the fallout is really just beginning.

Out-Kick the Coverage
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Re: Only Don't Tell Me You're Innocent, ESPN

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 pm

It's people quitting cable I think. Whether their coverage leans to the left, right or neutral is probably secondary. It's people like Rob who never watched ESPN or other sports to begin with, but nonetheless were subscribers because it comes with the cable package. And now they have found how to get what they want to watch for less without paying for all the stuff they don't watch too.

I am seriously thinking about dropping my own cable subscription too. So much stuff I pay for but never watch. The waifu and kids watch tv sometimes, but mostly channels that I now get for free without a cable subscription via "terrestrial digital broadcasting". The only thing I would miss is not being able to occasionally watch MLB games or NFL games. But the latter are hard for me to watch anyway because Sunday afternoon is Monday morning Japan time. So I only see a couple games a year anyway. Usually I am at work on Monday mornings.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:It's people quitting cable I think. Whether their coverage leans to the left, right or neutral is probably secondary. It's people like Rob who never watched ESPN or other sports to begin with, but nonetheless were subscribers because it comes with the cable package. And now they have found how to get what they want to watch for less without paying for all the stuff they don't watch too.

I am seriously thinking about dropping my own cable subscription too. So much stuff I pay for but never watch. The waifu and kids watch tv sometimes, but mostly channels that I now get for free without a cable subscription via "terrestrial digital broadcasting". The only thing I would miss is not being able to occasionally watch MLB games or NFL games. But the latter are hard for me to watch anyway because Sunday afternoon is Monday morning Japan time. So I only see a couple games a year anyway. Usually I am at work on Monday mornings.
NFL has a streaming service for people outside North America. I think MLB does as well. Probably would be cheaper than cable.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Indeed. At this point it's mostly inertia. Also I have a package deal. One company sells me cable, mobile phone service, Internet service and the regular old land line.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 am

And your tentacle hentai?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:59 am

ESPN, and a multitude of others, are being propped up by the likes of cable services such as Comcast that [almost] will not allow you to have strictly internet without TV. You can get just internet but it will end up costing as much if not more than if you bundle it with TV.

And ESPN still does not allow streaming unless you have a cable TV account or Sling TV, the latter being possible the worst streaming service known to man to the point of being unusable. They plan to launch their own standalone service circa 2020. They are foolish squared.

I remain happily unaware of how much I can save on car insurance.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 am

[youtube][/youtube]

"Aw Trent Dilfer? You won't see him no more."

--J. "Today I Settle All Kraft Family Business" D.

AL East Champs!!

RCC

Post by RCC » Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Those that think this is political are a bit stupid. Or maybe a lot stupid. ESPN spends a ton of money trying to keep SportsCenter viable for some reason, even though YouTube has more or less rendered highlight shows totally obsolete. That's one problem.

There are a ton of reasons ESPN is going in the crapper, but noticing social ills in the, on the whole, very conservative sporting establishment isn't much of one. There is nothing new there, just typical unthinking hypocrisy that only sees the faults of others:

ESPN SHOWED MEN KISSING ON MY SPORTS CHANNEL!!! GET THAT STUFF AWAY FROM ME BECAUSE I WANT TO WATCH SPORTS AND REST FROM A HARD DAY OF POSTING ON FACEBOOK ABOUT THE SILLY SWJs AND THEIR SAFE SPACES AND TRIGGER WARNINGS!!! ESPN SHOULD WARN PEOPLE BEFORE SHOWING GUYS KISS!!! THAT REALLY UPSET ME!!!

etc.

ESPN tries to be a news source. Any decent news source does investigation pieces and other objective reporting. Investigative reporting is generally anti-establishment by definition, and the sports establishment is, on the whole, quite conservative. So investigative reporting is going to usually be on the liberal side of the establishment. Which, in ESPNs case, is unfortunate because with all the media rights they are holding, they have a strong interest in supporting the establishment. Making people question the morality of watching the NFL is maybe not smart when you hold the rights to Monday Night Football.

ESPN is probably better off not trying to be a significant hard news source and just embrace being a propaganda outlet for the establishment. Not because of politics, but because of the fundamental conflict of interest and financial good sense.