What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Your face makes me hot.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 pm

No.

You decided to be hot, because you thought so. The face part was incidental.

Season 2 of West World begins tomorrow. Finally. Hope it doesn't suck too much.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 am

WW Season II is off to a good start.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am

No spoilers!

--J.D.

P.S. Funny, practicing my Anax-Speak, I am watching a sequel to a "J-Horror" film. The [Japanese--Ed.] Original is based on a sort of urban legend of a woman whose mouth has been split apart. When you see her, she asks you if she is "pretty"--the most dangerous question in anime and J-Horror, it seems.

Whatever you do, she will disembowel you, then bend, fold, spindle, and, depending on the time of day, mutilate your children, waifu, and dog. She will probably possess the body of That Secretary You Fantasize [CENSORED--Ed.] in the copyroom to do all of this to you.

In other words, "Nyarl-Level Fun" to wile away the wee hours.

Well, half-way through it is an interesting "slice of life" examination of a family. It is actually very good. Naturally, I am waiting for "she" to show up and slaughter everyone.

In other words, it reminds me of some 'murican :freedom: horror films like the Japanese Original Tremors or Ginger Snaps--or even Teeth--where "we all know this is suppose to suck, but we're fucking going to make an effort to make a decent film, fuck you!"

In the rain.

"Am I not kawaii?!"

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:05 am

Holy Shit!

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

sparks wrote:WW Season II is off to a good start.
I was surprised by how it did not suck and was still interesting.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:56 pm

I still don't like how they jump around in time, but it is ... interesting. Keeps me coming back. Like a slow motion train wreck.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Westworld's still good, I think there has been some clunky redesign of characters and timeline elements (see spoilers below), but it doesn't take away from the story so I am ok with it.
Spoiler:
Young William/MIB seems to have become more evil randomly even though he was shown to be a lot more empathetic in Season 1. Also Delos is more involved and instrumental in the park existing than it would previously suggested.
Last edited by Grammatron on Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Delos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures

Netflix.

Get to know Barbie and her BFFs -- including next-door neighbor Ken -- in this animated vlog of adventures filmed inside her family's new dreamhouse.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 04, 2018 6:04 am

Started watching The New Legends of Monkey on Netflix.

I think it's not bad. It's Australian made, but very much in the vein of Chinese Kung Fu genre stuff. I guess you could call it a sort of kung fu comedy. Each episode is half-hour length and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I watched the first 3 episodes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6807662/
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun May 06, 2018 12:37 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 pm

ANON

In a world without anonymity or crime, a detective meets a woman who threatens their security.
Brand new on Netflix.

Probably best that you not watch. This is Science Fiction that is way too close for comfort.

Everything is recorded. Luke 12:3 to the tiniest detail. Maybe I need to rethink that Alexa.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 am

Been finishing off the season of Last Man on Earth

Which, 4 seasons in, is very misnamed. It's like Game of Thrones in reverse, they constantly find more and more people alive. But it is a funny show.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 09, 2018 3:22 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Been finishing off the season of Last Man on Earth

Which, 4 seasons in, is very misnamed. It's like Game of Thrones in reverse, they constantly find more and more people alive. But it is a funny show.
Didn't he like drive all over the goddamned country looking for people and not find a soul before giving up? I only watched a couple episodes of season one, fwiw. Then once he gives up and stops looking for other people, that's when they start to show up.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 am

Actually, he finds another person (or to be perfectly accurate, another person finds him) by the end of episode 1. By the end of season one, There were four more (I think). But yeah, he had given up and was about to commit suicide when she found him.

Over the subesequent seasons, the core group has stayed the same but they have found a few others who have either since left for various reasons or died (one tried to fly an airplane and crashed it, another just found she didn't fit with the group so went off on her own. Things like that). The core group has had a couple of babies too.

Finally this season...
Spoiler:
They found a bunker with dozens and dozens of people, encountering them at the end of the season finale
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 am

"No mercy!"

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 10, 2018 7:42 am

I cannot adequately convey how awesome of a job they did with Cobra Kai.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu May 10, 2018 10:32 am

It was everything I'd hoped for. Except (not a significant spoiler) no Tamlyn Tomita. Who's that rich skank and why didn't you go back to Okinawa and bring Kumiko to a US dance school and marry her!

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 10, 2018 11:04 am

You get a sense that, despite appearances, they both have had "issues." The second episode wonderfully opens with Sinatra's "Ain't it a Kick in the Head," as LaRuso lives his Wonderful Life . . . only his children do not respect him. It is clear that this is his second wife.

Same with "Johnny," the mother of his kid was a disaster, as is his kid he never sees.

LaRuso plays a part that everyone else finds, in a way, sad--the whole "shashimi." Now he defends a bully. What I found very interesting is:
The film is utterly unrealistic. We all know this. In retrospect, they finally figured out that karate is not Japanese. Fine.

Ralph does not teach.

He has the pictures of "Mr. Miyagi" and all of that--a quick scene of him teaching his daughter--but he never continued. Why? Done for comedy at first, he loves to refer to his past. Even his current wife knows all of is stories. He has told them too many times.

"Johnny" we can understand, given his treatment by his teacher "Kease." But he is still a fuck-up, who caused much of his own fuck-ups.

I like the nice reference where his student is cleaning his dōjō without all of the "wax on" bullshit. Then Johnny realizes there are business rules that Mr. Miyagi never heard of! I must admit laughing when he told the kid to clean the toilet, "on your knees!" while he smiles to himself.
Again, I loved the intro-ending to "Sweep the Leg, Johnnie," video, because I liked that the actors all had the sense of humor to do their roles. I am sure the two are sick of being asked for decades to repeat lines and all of that. This is not just some "cash-cow": they made an effort to make a real series that actually explores the characters of what was a "fun" 1 inch deep plot "80's" film.

In a way, it reminds me of Ginger Snaps which was an independent, low-budget, all of that horror film, but you got the sense everyone involved wanted to make a good film.

I am very impressed. They could have gone "cheesy," but they are clever. Like reminding how out of touch, in a way, both characters are.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!