Overanalyzing 80s pop music

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Overanalyzing 80s pop music

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:12 pm

She lightly hits things. So do I. So do you. So doe he. So do they, So do we
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 am

We're going to sway back and forth, descending towards Electric Avenue.
Then we'll elevate it.

I think that's related to raising the roof.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Related:

Making Wham's "Last Christmas" eight times as long yields a minor ambient masterpiece

They didn't just loop it, no, they actually time stretched the thing, and here's the genius part--they then pitch corrected it.

It really has to be heard, even if you don't make it through the whole thing. They even slowed the video down for it.

It was oddly satisfying and traumatic in equal measures. I felt like I was lost in the space of my brain and everything was magnified in impact, every image lingered upon, every emotional moment wallowed in. So like I was a teenager again, which makes this choice of song era particularly relevant.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Heard that Sweet Caroline was really a creepy ode to Caroline Kennedy.
- new minimalist ethos -

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 pm

ed wrote:Heard that Sweet Caroline was really a creepy ode to Caroline Kennedy.

You might have heard it on this forum

viewtopic.php?p=844430#p844430
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Billie Jean

This song is about a crazed fan who had a baby and was so obsessed with Jackson that she believed it was his. She sent packages and photos of the child to him, eventually sending him a gun and ordering him to commit suicide at the same time as she would kill her baby and then herself, so that they could be "together as a family". The police tracked down the woman, saved the baby and proved that it was not Jackson's. He was so disturbed by the whole affair that he wrote a song about it; one of his biggest hits to date.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:51 am

gnome wrote:even if you don't make it through the whole thing

:lmao:

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 am

Cyndi Lauper

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

They want to get laid by somebody worthy.

Really. That's it. You can't really over analyze that.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Elevate yourself. Repose.
An apparatus of sufficient creativity so as to transform electromagnetic energy into an auditory sensory input.
The preservation of the performance of the instrumental, vocal, and terpsichorean elements in a visual input format.
Barrel-House dance accompanied by a satchel.

You exist in a hall of dance.
Allow you hippocampus to erase all traces of your competitive thralldom with the similarly indentured.
Engage with me the creation of a mixture of bovine lactations, festively flavored powders, and the utilization of a blender.
You engage in commerce of success comparable to the creation of breakfast foods.
Yet should you attempt to purchase such.
Recite the doggerel of childish literature.

Discuss the popular music.

Discuss the popular music.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:40 pm

gnome wrote:Related:

Making Wham's "Last Christmas" eight times as long yields a minor ambient masterpiece

They didn't just loop it, no, they actually time stretched the thing, and here's the genius part--they then pitch corrected it.

It really has to be heard, even if you don't make it through the whole thing. They even slowed the video down for it.

It was oddly satisfying and traumatic in equal measures. I felt like I was lost in the space of my brain and everything was magnified in impact, every image lingered upon, every emotional moment wallowed in. So like I was a teenager again, which makes this choice of song era particularly relevant.

This caused me to review the lyrics to the song, so I might as well give it my treatment.

Last Christmas I confessed I've been crushing on you.
We made out for a little while and I was sure we'd immediately become a couple.
But then next day you started seeing that other guy. You slut.
I'm gonna get a girl this Christmas and she'll be better than you!
But I still kind of want to fuck you too.
Do you even remember me? We swapped spit and groped each other for two hours. You slut.
I was stupid to think you could be faithful, even though you didn't promise me anything.
But if you're up for it I'd still bone you, just checking.
I caught you in a vulnerable moment and tried to turn it into a sex thing.
But you're the one that used me.
You fucked me over but I'm going to get a better girl today, in fact I already have, so there.
Next year I'll probably do the same thing.
--Soldier, TF2

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:56 am

Human

Come on, baby, dry your eyes
Wipe your tears
Never like to see you cry
Won't you please forgive me
I wouldn't ever try to hurt you
I just needed someone to hold me
To fill the void while you were gone
To fill this space of emptiness

[Chorus]
I'm only human
Of flesh and blood I'm made
Human
Born to make mistakes
[/Chorus]

[Interlude]
The tears I cry aren't tears of pain
They're all to hide my guilt and shame
I forgive you, now I ask the same of you
While we were apart, I was human too
[/Interlude]

[Chorus]
I'm only human.......wait..........what? What did you say?

Arrgh!! I knew it! I fucking knew it. You little slut. Who was it? Was it Jim? It was Jim from accounting, wasn't it. I saw the way you look at him. You fucking CUNT!!
Such potential!

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 am

You should be aware of the existence of a Lady of the certainty,
That all elements of the set defined as objects that disperse light equals the set of gold,
And currently she has initiated the legal processes necessary for the monetary acquisition of an upward conveyance that leads to the destination classically known as שָׁמַיִם.
At the time she arrives at the place designated for the conductance of commerce she is cognizant,
The should she find the emporiums in a state unable to entertain clients,
With the utterance of a singular λόγος she shall find success in the acquisition of the ultimate purpose of her conveyance.

And currently she has initiated the legal processes necessary for the monetary acquisition of an upward conveyance that leads to the destination classically known as שָׁמַיִם.

Located on a wall exists a semiotic transmitter,
Nevertheless, she desires certitude,
Since you must agree with the general observation that a λόγος conveys a secondary significance.
Contained within an arboreal presentation located somewhat adjacent to a minican creek,
Exists ἡ ὄρνις τῇς μουσικῇς who vocalizes in a rhythmic manner,
Contain within an irregular period the subject of the entirety of our ratiocinations consists of displeasure with our understanding of our current situation.

This proves an efficient causality to my attention upon the situation.

I receive an emotional response when I turn my attention towards and gaze upon the cartographical opposition of the East
Whilst the πνεῦμα under my possession lacrimates in regards to my process of exit.
Within my rationcinations my eyes have passed to my V1 regions of my occipital lobes via mine II cranial nerves, with some stimulation of my lateral geniculate bodies, and certainly passage to my V2 then parietal regions,
Circular formations of one of the primary forms of carbon dioxide and other materials expressed by the oxidation of organic matter through other arboreal bodies which may, or may not, contain the aforementioned ἡ ὄρνις τῇς μουσικῇς
Whilst, simultaneously, the my cranial nerve VIII, with, of course, some stimulation of my medial geniculate bodies, conveys to my Wernicke's Area the oral expressions of the set that contains anyone with a propensity to remain stationary in an upright posture while, simultaneously, engaging their optic nerves, lateral geniculate bodies, V1 then V2, et cetera in a sustained fashion whiles, obviously, maintaining saccades to prevent retinal extinction.

In a volume near the lower limits of our auditory apparatus which, of course involves not only the traditional tympanic, stapial, and malleal transmission to VIII, but osteoconductance comes the warning that in a time period in the very foreseeable future, should we as a collective decide upon a song that suits our fancies,
Then the musician dedicated to an ancient wood-wind instrument shall, with certitude, direct us towards rational thought processes.
Surely, then, the Earth will continue its rotation such that the Sun will appear to rise over the horizon which, said stationary upright personages engaged in that activity will interpret as an occurrence for their welfare,
Whilst the mass-collection of arboreal bodies will reflect the sound waves emitted by those with a propensity towards gelastic seizure activity.

Should you encounter the predominately Victorian enhancement of the feminine posterior within the natural barrier against the Great Unwashed maintained by your gardeners,
Rest assur'd that this merely represents seasonal maid activity intended for the sovereign of the traditional holiday that initiates the month of May.
Indubitably, the existence of two roads upon which you have the ability to progress does not prove a subject of contention,
Nevertheless, should you consider the entire journey,
You will find sufficient time in which to decide replace the path upon which your currently trod with another.

You suffer from a persistent and stubborn tinnitus that appears to encompass the entirety of your cranium,
However, though this point may prove unfamiliar to you,
The musician dedicated to an ancient wood-wind instrument has made appropriate overtures to invite you to an assignation as it were.
Lady whom we hold with a special place within our hearts, we do wonder if your VIII nerve conveys the sound wave created by atmospheric shifts,
As well as remain uncertain if it has become apparent to you that the aforementioned upward conveyance that leads to the destination classically known as שָׁמַיִם in which your are currently engaged in the acquisition.
Has as a foundation the same atmospheric shifts that, at this point, produce sound waves at the lower-levels of detection of your internal auditory apparatus which represents, actually, a plural, rather than singular, in the Latin.

Simultaneous with our circuitous ambulation upon one of the aforementioned paths,
Which, given the current position of the Sun, produces blockage of its light sufficient to create representations of our bodies which prove to possess a length greater than what we assume the classical conception of our personalities would demonstrate,
We cannot avoid the recognition of said lady familiar to us who also ambulates,
And emits the entire visible spectrum of radiation whilst, with all propriety, signals her sincere desire to reveal to us,
That all yet transmutes into gold.
Further, should you vigorously concentrate such to limit the influence of your visual, olfactory, proprioceptive, as well as tactile afferent systems to permit the primacy of your auditory senses,
Finally, after all of this time, you will recognize the fruits of the labors of, without contradictory evidence, the aforementioned musician dedicated to an ancient wood-wind instrument,
At a time similar to a most curious Deuteronomistic passage in which YHWH seems to admit to polytheism whilst demanding a monotheist such that an infinite set becomes a singular element whilst singular elements achieve the status of an infinite set,
To find yourself a separation from a geological entity often refined over aeons of under the influence of, for example, the ultimately rhythmic progression and recession of glacial that remains stationary rather than converts your potential energy into kinetic, and probably sound as well as heat energy.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Doc wins.
Such potential!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Bruce wrote:Doc wins.

Doesn't he always?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Doctor X wrote:You should be aware of the existence of a Lady of the certainty,
That all elements of the set defined as objects that disperse light equals the set of gold,
At the time she arrives at the place designated for the conductance of commerce she is cognizant,
The should she find the emporiums in a state unable to entertain clients,
With the utterance of a singular λόγος she shall find success in the acquisition of the ultimate purpose of her conveyance.

Located on a wall exists a semiotic transmitter,
Nevertheless, she desires certitude,
Since you must agree with the general observation that a λόγος conveys a secondary significance.
Contained within an arboreal presentation located somewhat adjacent to a minican creek,
Exists ἡ ὄρνις τῇς μουσικῇς who vocalizes in a rhythmic manner,
Contain within an irregular period the subject of the entirety of our ratiocinations consists of displeasure with our understanding of our current situation.

I receive an emotional response when I turn my attention towards and gaze upon the cartographical opposition of the East
Whilst the πνεῦμα under my possession lacrimates in regards to my process of exit.
Within my rationcinations my eyes have passed to my V1 regions of my occipital lobes via mine II cranial nerves, with some stimulation of my lateral geniculate bodies, and certainly passage to my V2 then parietal regions,
Circular formations of one of the primary forms of carbon dioxide and other materials expressed by the oxidation of organic matter through other arboreal bodies which may, or may not, contain the aforementioned ἡ ὄρνις τῇς μουσικῇς
Whilst, simultaneously, the my cranial nerve VIII, with, of course, some stimulation of my medial geniculate bodies, conveys to my Wernicke's Area the oral expressions of the set that contains anyone with a propensity to remain stationary in an upright posture while, simultaneously, engaging their optic nerves, lateral geniculate bodies, V1 then V2, et cetera in a sustained fashion whiles, obviously, maintaining saccades to prevent retinal extinction.

In a volume near the lower limits of our auditory apparatus which, of course involves not only the traditional tympanic, stapial, and malleal transmission to VIII, but osteoconductance comes the warning that in a time period in the very foreseeable future, should we as a collective decide upon a song that suits our fancies,
Then the musician dedicated to an ancient wood-wind instrument shall, with certitude, direct us towards rational thought processes.
Surely, then, the Earth will continue its rotation such that the Sun will appear to rise over the horizon which, said stationary upright personages engaged in that activity will interpret as an occurrence for their welfare,
Whilst the mass-collection of arboreal bodies will reflect the sound waves emitted by those with a propensity towards gelastic seizure activity.

Should you encounter the predominately Victorian enhancement of the feminine posterior within the natural barrier against the Great Unwashed maintained by your gardeners,
Rest assur'd that this merely represents seasonal maid activity intended for the sovereign of the traditional holiday that initiates the month of May.
Indubitably, the existence of two roads upon which you have the ability to progress does not prove a subject of contention,
Nevertheless, should you consider the entire journey,
You will find sufficient time in which to decide replace the path upon which your currently trod with another.

You suffer from a persistent and stubborn tinnitus that appears to encompass the entirety of your cranium,
However, though this point may prove unfamiliar to you,
The musician dedicated to an ancient wood-wind instrument has made appropriate overtures to invite you to an assignation as it were.
Lady whom we hold with a special place within our hearts, we do wonder if your VIII nerve conveys the sound wave created by atmospheric shifts,
As well as remain uncertain if it has become apparent to you that the aforementioned upward conveyance that leads to the destination classically known as שָׁמַיִם in which your are currently engaged in the acquisition.
Has as a foundation the same atmospheric shifts that, at this point, produce sound waves at the lower-levels of detection of your internal auditory apparatus which represents, actually, a plural, rather than singular, in the Latin.

Simultaneous with our circuitous ambulation upon one of the aforementioned paths,
Which, given the current position of the Sun, produces blockage of its light sufficient to create representations of our bodies which prove to possess a length greater than what we assume the classical conception of our personalities would demonstrate,
We cannot avoid the recognition of said lady familiar to us who also ambulates,
And emits the entire visible spectrum of radiation whilst, with all propriety, signals her sincere desire to reveal to us,
That all yet transmutes into gold.
Further, should you vigorously concentrate such to limit the influence of your visual, olfactory, proprioceptive, as well as tactile afferent systems to permit the primacy of your auditory senses,
Finally, after all of this time, you will recognize the fruits of the labors of, without contradictory evidence, the aforementioned musician dedicated to an ancient wood-wind instrument,
At a time similar to a most curious Deuteronomistic passage in which YHWH seems to admit to polytheism whilst demanding a monotheist such that an infinite set becomes a singular element whilst singular elements achieve the status of an infinite set,
To find yourself a separation from a geological entity often refined over aeons of under the influence of, for example, the ultimately rhythmic progression and recession of glacial that remains stationary rather than converts your potential energy into kinetic, and probably sound as well as heat energy.

--J.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mFW8YYxr5o
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 am

That took longer to read than the song would play for.

*tip of the hat*
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:37 am

--J.D.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 am

Doctor X wrote:Image

--J.D.

What the fuck is that arrangement written for!? It looks like it might be cowbell.
:cowbell:

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 am

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 am

After we all die, no one will ever discuss this topic in this much detail ever again.

I don't know if I should cry or be relieved.

Unless DocX wins the lottery and founds his own school, there's never going to be a college course that covers the intricacies of ancient 80s pop music.
Such potential!

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”