What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
User avatar
ed
Posts: 32837
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 736 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by ed » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:33 am

Finished The Good Wife. A soap opera but pretty well acted with a really fun ensemble cast. Lots of old stars in small and not so small roles.

The sequel is called The Good Fight with some of the old cast members. It is so over the top full of progressive politics that it the last few episodes were borderline unwatchable, for me at least.

Started watching Turn, about Revolutionary War spies. A bit of a stem turner so far (one episode). Will report back.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 21950
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 354 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Been watching the Handmaiden's Tale. Not 100% sure what to make of it politically, as it is an obvious dystopian example of one kind of radical ideology. So without worrying overly about the "relevance" of it, as most fictional political dystopias are hamfisted caricatures by nature--I've been enjoying it within its own context. So less "TRUMP IS MAKING THIS HAPPEN!!!1!" and more "This would be fricking scary and there really are people that think like this."

It is, however, a show that suffers a problem I've seen before: most of the supporting cast is way more interesting than the main character. I mean, Elizabeth Moss isn't a horrible actress, I don't lose my immersion or cringe or anything--but for a show that relies a LOT on reaction shots of her face, she doesn't have a lot to offer.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:01 pm

When I watch it, I am less "TRUMP IS MAKING THIS HAPPEN!!!' too and more "This must be what living under ISIS would be like, just with a different religion"
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

ed wrote:Finished The Good Wife. A soap opera but pretty well acted with a really fun ensemble cast. Lots of old stars in small and not so small roles.

The sequel is called The Good Fight with some of the old cast members. It is so over the top full of progressive politics that it the last few episodes were borderline unwatchable, for me at least.

Started watching Turn, about Revolutionary War spies. A bit of a stem turner so far (one episode). Will report back.
Since you watched those shows you should now watch The Good Place (note, reading the season 2 synopsis reveals a spoiler for season 1), which has fuck all to do with the other two shows you mentioned, but just for the sake of "Good [noun]" completism. Plus its a funny show in its own right.

Here's a taste in the form of one of my favorite scenes.

Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Been watching the new season of Luke Cage. Not as good as the first season, but a damned sight better than Annoying Rich Guy Knows Kung Fu...errr....Iron Fist or The Defenders. Or even the disappointing second season of Jessica Jones
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67148
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3326 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Image

--J. "Travel Safe" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 21950
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 354 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
ed wrote:Finished The Good Wife. A soap opera but pretty well acted with a really fun ensemble cast. Lots of old stars in small and not so small roles.

The sequel is called The Good Fight with some of the old cast members. It is so over the top full of progressive politics that it the last few episodes were borderline unwatchable, for me at least.

Started watching Turn, about Revolutionary War spies. A bit of a stem turner so far (one episode). Will report back.
Since you watched those shows you should now watch The Good Place (note, reading the season 2 synopsis reveals a spoiler for season 1), which has fuck all to do with the other two shows you mentioned, but just for the sake of "Good [noun]" completism. Plus its a funny show in its own right.

Here's a taste in the form of one of my favorite scenes.

The sad thing is that it is a spoiler that there is a spoiler.

So just forget all the chatter and watch the show :)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 21950
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 354 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Been watching the new season of Luke Cage. Not as good as the first season, but a damned sight better than Annoying Rich Guy Knows Kung Fu...errr....Iron Fist or The Defenders. Or even the disappointing second season of Jessica Jones
I had a hard time imagining it could be anything but--mainly just because Tennant's Kilgrave was a really tough act to follow.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 pm

True. But I think that if Season 2 had been my introduction to the show, I would be wondering what all the hoopla was about.

Maybe they need to give up on Jessica and just make The Kilgrave Show
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33363
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1693 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:46 pm

gnome wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Been watching the new season of Luke Cage. Not as good as the first season, but a damned sight better than Annoying Rich Guy Knows Kung Fu...errr....Iron Fist or The Defenders. Or even the disappointing second season of Jessica Jones
I had a hard time imagining it could be anything but--mainly just because Tennant's Kilgrave was a really tough act to follow.
I also think that fewer episodes would improve all the current MCU Netflix shows. Eving I am Danny Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist, Protector of K'un-Lun, Sworn Enemy of the Hand (a phrase that would be less repeated) would be significantly less terrible.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm

For Iron Fist, the ideal number of episodes would have been zero
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21261
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1366 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:06 am

I've been watching Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary. It recently became available on Netflix in Japan.

Quite good if you like Ken Burns documentaries or are interested in learning more about the Vietnam war.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:18 am

Having recently finished my binge re-watch of all 12 seasons of Red Dwarf (though it wasn't really a RE-watch of seasons 10-12), I decided to continue my re-acquaintance with British comedy by re-watching Black Adder.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67148
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3326 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:57 am

FRESH HORSES!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19795
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I've been watching Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary. It recently became available on Netflix in Japan.

Quite good if you like Ken Burns documentaries or are interested in learning more about the Vietnam war.
I finished the whole series. Very well done. Won't make the proponents of that war happy, though I'm not sure there are any of those left.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21261
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1366 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I've been watching Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary. It recently became available on Netflix in Japan.

Quite good if you like Ken Burns documentaries or are interested in learning more about the Vietnam war.
I finished the whole series. Very well done. Won't make the proponents of that war happy, though I'm not sure there are any of those left.
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could be a proponent of it in retrospect, although it's understandable how they got into it in the first place and the pressures that made them prolong it long after it became blindingly obvious that it was a mistake.

There was a secret memo that laid out the war aims thusly:

70% avoid an embarrassing defeat.
20% contain China.
10% to help the Vietnamese people.

We fought a war mainly to avoid losing face.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25705
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2686 times
Been thanked: 2737 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Netflix's Lost In Space. I approve.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67148
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3326 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 am

After finishing a documentary on Gram The Ameri☭ans, enjoying the documentary The Staircase.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19795
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am

Doctor X wrote:After finishing a documentary on Gram The Ameri☭ans, enjoying the documentary The Staircase.

--J.D.
Spoiler:
This case was justice denied. He fucking did it. Having watched the Staircase and two other documentaries on this crime (Forensic Files and Cold Case), I can tell you that this one made very little mention of a lot of the very incriminating evidence against Peterson.

The Staircase leaves you wondering, 'who really done it?' Fact is, he done it.

His lawyer was incredible. If I get in bad trouble, I want him.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67148
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3326 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 am

A Very English Scandal.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!