Satellite internet service

The war between wetware and hardware.
Anaxagoras

Satellite internet service

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:20 am

Do you think this is going to be a better deal ultimately either in terms of price or quality of service?

Do you expect to get your internet service via satellite within 5 years or 10? Or is it mostly just for people who live out in the boonies where there is no other good option?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/29/1717 ... k-spectrum

I wonder if this would be world-wide? Would this be a way for people in China to bypass government censorship of the internet?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Satellite internet service

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Here's they're application.
https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=185534&x
It would be world-wide capable but probably not enabled.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:08 pm

When I was working, a lot of my clients were out in the boonies where there was no other option. And a lot of my family are in that position too. A rather uniform complaint is that it is really slow and unreliable.

So until they fix that, I don't think it will ever be anything other than the last resort for people who can't get anything better.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:When I was working, a lot of my clients were out in the boonies where there was no other option. And a lot of my family are in that position too. A rather uniform complaint is that it is really slow and unreliable.

So until they fix that, I don't think it will ever be anything other than the last resort for people who can't get anything better.

This will pretty much fix that. The satellites will be in low earth orbit so ping time (latency) is going to be close to (or even less than) what a land-based ISP's provide (~10ms). You can expect speeds 1440 Mbps up and down on fastest tier. Even gaming will be fine.

There may be issues on very cloudy days.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Would this be a way for people in China to bypass government censorship of the internet?
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43681&p=819140&hilit=osten+neues+iran#p819140

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Rf of any ilk sucks. Spend the money on fiber optics.

It's the only way to be sure.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:38 am

sparks wrote:Rf of any ilk sucks. Spend the money on fiber optics.

It's the only way to be sure.
Technically, of course, but any "landline" will be under local gubment control.

It's also an argument in the Fermi paradox discussion: we don't detect them as after a brief radio communication flare everything goes through cable/fiber, &c. (And low-power rf for things like phones.)
On our old (and rotten) planet, most if not all "world" radio emitters have been dismantled.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Far more optimistic than previous versions that assumed such transmissions would cease at around the 50 year mark due to nuclear annihilation.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Return to “Computers”