SSDs

The war between wetware and hardware.
gnome

Re: SSDs

Post by gnome » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 pm

How about this beauty?

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm

I prefer the Japanese Original.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm

In ten years systems will not have a hard drive (HDD or SSD). I'm pretty sure of that. It (they) are already unnecessary given the available technology. I submit that the technology to do away with them is already cheaper to build than what we have now.

I'll go further and predict that in the future 20 years, the line between the microprocessor and memory will be so blurred as to be irrelevant.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 am

What will be used for storage? And I realize my question might be like asking where they'll keep the buggy whips in a motorcar.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:01 am

gnome wrote:What will be used for storage? And I realize my question might be like asking where they'll keep the buggy whips in a motorcar.
Or better yet, what will be used for execution?

If all of your ram is nonvolatile and just as fast as your processor, the line is blurred.

They're leaking this technology out drip by drip but the technology is already mature.

http://skepticalcommunity.com/forums/vi ... or#p751905

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:08 am

The line is already blurred some time ago with CPU cache.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:00 pm

gnome wrote:And I realize my question might be like asking where they'll keep the buggy whips in a motorcar.
I thought everyone kept theirs next to the stick shift.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:35 am

I recently replaced my old laptop with a new one and the new one has an SSD. I have to say, I love it. Booting it up takes roughly as long as waking my old machine up from "sleep mode" did.

Right now, its my only hard drive, and its a bit crowded because it's only 256 GB (and I remember when a 1 GB hard drive was considered fucking enormous) but I am keeping most of my shit on the cloud and only keeping the OS and a few games that I am currently playing on the SSD so its doing the trick
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:I recently replaced my old laptop with a new one and the new one has an SSD. I have to say, I love it. Booting it up takes roughly as long as waking my old machine up from "sleep mode" did.

Right now, its my only hard drive, and its a bit crowded because it's only 256 GB (and I remember when a 1 GB hard drive was considered fucking enormous) but I am keeping most of my shit on the cloud and only keeping the OS and a few games that I am currently playing on the SSD so its doing the trick
If I may ask, where do you keep your backup files?

The cloud is not a safe place to keep the only copy of files you cannot afford to lose.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 am

For me, the cloud is the backup.

The backup backup is CDs.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 pm

xouper wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I recently replaced my old laptop with a new one and the new one has an SSD. I have to say, I love it. Booting it up takes roughly as long as waking my old machine up from "sleep mode" did.

If I may ask, where do you keep your backup files?

The cloud is not a safe place to keep the only copy of files you cannot afford to lose.
One Drive, but there is nothing important or irreplaceable on there. If some hacker steals my campaign info for the game I am running he is welcome to it. Lots of PDFs of books and things Mostly

I don’t tend to keep anything anything like important photos or sensitive docs on my laptop anyway. It’s basically my playtoy
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 pm

External drives for me. They are now small, fast, self-powered (via the cable, of course) and dirt cheap.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Witness wrote:External drives for me. They are now small, fast, self-powered (via the cable, of course) and dirt cheap.
I guess that depends on what you mean by dirt cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728KDTCF/

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 am

Witness wrote:↑ You know exactly what I meant.
Yes I did. I was just funnin' ya. :wink:

These are dirt cheap:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-4TB-Black ... /190528556

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:10 pm

:mrgreen:

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 am

I wish to remind that my new Internal SSD is Image

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu May 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Anyone caring anything about this thread will love
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... r-q1-2018/
For those not in the know, Backblaze is a cloud backup and storage company of a different breed. They tell you how they do it and keep statistics on failure rates.

For those that really haven't thought it through, cloud storage is nothing more than just a bunch of hard drives (or SSDs!) located elsewhere.

Well worth the read.

As an aside I am amazed they can squeeze 12g on a mechanical drive, regardless of the failure rate.

As my second aside, how much do I need? I can't even fill a quarter gig.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu May 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Yet, it is under someone else's control. Not exclusively yours, once you upload.

Therefore, FAIL.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm currently using a cloud backup system called CrashPlan. Besides "version backups" that let me look for previous versions of files, the other feature that got me using it was its highest security option--where it is secured and encrypted with a passcode that only I have, not even them. It means that they can't help me if I lose it, but it also means (unless they're flat out lying about it all) that they literally cannot access my files or accidentally (or through a hack) provide access.

I guess I'm trusting that they don't actually have my passphrase anywhere, but at least at the time they signed up the research I did suggested they were fully legit. It's already saved my butt once.
--Soldier, TF2