SSDs

The war between wetware and hardware.
Witness

SSDs

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:17 am

Samsung 256 GB. :mrgreen:

[Image restored – can't be in bad terms with an elder god… :cthulhu: ]
Last edited by Witness on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Re: SSDs

Post by Grammatron » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:05 am

Funny

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 am

What's the empty space for?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:34 am

It's where the cloud sits.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:49 am

It's a 3.5 drive so conformance to form factor.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:49 pm

When'll a 2 Tb be available for under $100?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:24 pm

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:44 am

Dandy! I expect I can wait another year.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:30 am

sparks wrote:Dandy! I expect I can wait another year.
You must be a Cleveland fan. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 am

sparks wrote:Dandy! I expect I can wait another year.
But how do you justify paying 5 cents per GB when HDD prices are 1 cent per GB?

Backblaze (a cloud storage and backup service) has exobytes of drive space--HDD and SDD--and isn't shy about sharing their experiences and outlook.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hdd-vs-s ... a-centers/
A worthy read.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:22 am

I don't justify the difference in price, that's why I asked the question which you so admirably answered. And if I read you and that graph correctly, SDD will be the same price per GB as HDD in about a year.

As for the cloud, fuck that shit. Anything in the cloud is just waiting to be ripped off or otherwise tampered with. Won't have it. Besides, in order to use it, doesn't one have to be connected to the webz? So now, the price of a decent connection must be figured into the equation, right?

Thanks for the linky... Imagine that shit: Storing video in a bacterium.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:49 am

sparks wrote:I don't justify the difference in price, that's why I asked the question which you so admirably answered. And if I read you and that graph correctly, SDD will be the same price per GB as HDD in about a year.

As for the cloud, fuck that shit. Anything in the cloud is just waiting to be ripped off or otherwise tampered with. Won't have it. Besides, in order to use it, doesn't one have to be connected to the webz? So now, the price of a decent connection must be figured into the equation, right?
Good points all. A major cloud/backup service has different concerns than you and I.

I don't think that chart really tracks the price of HDD's; it keeps them static going forward but that can't really be the case. As SDD's become cheaper, so too MUST HDD's because the price per GB is the only advantage that an HDD has. But for me, the average consumer, that price difference becomes less important. Like you, I am less likely to pay 5 times a nickle than I am 5 times a penny.

I care about speed. They really don't.
I don't care about power use. They really do.

As an aside, I think the SSD makers are keeping the prices artificially high. I think they can make their chips at less than a penny per GB.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm going for small SSD for OS, programs and current projects and large HDDs for long term storage and backups. They're all going to fail eventually but I reckon that's the best GB per $ solution right now.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:I'm going for small SSD for OS, programs and current projects and large HDDs for long term storage and backups. They're all going to fail eventually but I reckon that's the best GB per $ solution right now.
Same here, save that I try to keep software out of control freak Windows' reach on a drive different than C.
So my SSD is split: a part for a lean, hopefully unpolluted, Windows; the rest as fast scratchdisk for Photoshop & video editing software.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:03 pm

I've also installed Windows on my backup HDD and made it bootable in case of SSD failure and other disasters. A stitch in time...
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 am

After 5ish years, replaced my Hybrid SSD--back then you could get 1 TB for ~$150 as opposed to 250 GB for ~$500 of SSD--which I have to say is an achievement. Still works but I have been getting odd errors. No diagnostic program seems to understand Hybrids--the day I got it one declared "it the SMART!" while another, "it dead as well as your hopes and dreams, Jesus hates you, I'm raping your mom, now go kill yourself!"

Anyways, I waited over time. Recently, the thing would take FOREVER to boot. Sometimes you would have to cancel the boot and restart. I endured this for a few months until it became clear "Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Bang Ding [Get on with it!--Ed.]"

Fuck does the old computer boot fast now. With all of the programs exploding on the screen like Anax's anime. One of the advantages of the Hybrid is it learned to put the "Boot Stuff" on the SSD part so, for a few years, boots were faster--though not this fast!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:09 am

Witness wrote:Image

Samsung 256 GB. :mrgreen:
Busted link
- new minimalist ethos -

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Doctor X wrote:After 5ish years, replaced my Hybrid SSD--back then you could get 1 TB for ~$150 as opposed to 250 GB for ~$500 of SSD--which I have to say is an achievement. Still works but I have been getting odd errors. No diagnostic program seems to understand Hybrids--the day I got it one declared "it the SMART!" while another, "it dead as well as your hopes and dreams, Jesus hates you, I'm raping your mom, now go kill yourself!"

Anyways, I waited over time. Recently, the thing would take FOREVER to boot. Sometimes you would have to cancel the boot and restart. I endured this for a few months until it became clear "Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Bang Ding [Get on with it!--Ed.]"

Fuck does the old computer boot fast now. With all of the programs exploding on the screen like Anax's anime. One of the advantages of the Hybrid is it learned to put the "Boot Stuff" on the SSD part so, for a few years, boots were faster--though not this fast!

--J.D.
How fast? From pressing the on button to everything loading, (including me inputting my password), takes 40 seconds. Not bad!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:04 am

It is much less than that.

Short Answer: after second boot when I did not have a lot of programs running prior, it was under ten seconds and I was legitimately surprised. I got so use to slower boots--and even sssssssssllllllllloooooowwwwwerrrr as I pontificate below.

[Typically long-winded reply follows.--Ed.]

And that is not just "Apple t3h aw3s0m3 and ur PEEEEEE--as in "urine!" See what I did there?--C SUXXORZ the BIG!!111111" talk.

I suppose the next time I can "time" the boot and let you know how fast to "boot" then "recovery of all programs that were open."

Again, leaving the hilARIous partisanship aside, it will depend upon "what" you want to open on "boot." If I set it so very little opens--a few background applications but no browsers or video rendering program--it take about ten seconds to my login prompt than another tenish to "good to go."

Prior to the Hybrid--and I am not even sure what OS that was!--say a minute or so for the whole operation. As you know, that seems like a long time.

With the Hybrid, booting became much faster--say 45 to 30 seconds. You did not enjoy all of the other benefits of a SSD. Your "most popular" programs like your OS went on the SSD portion. So other programs--like Anything Adobe--crawled as they do.

This is why I sensed a problem: booting took very long. I suspect one part of the drive was failing . . . or something.

I have a program that could keep an eye on the SSD portion of my Hybrid. Its read/write specs were about a 10th of what this SSD does. So even the Abomination That is Adobe programs do not "hang" for a minute before loading. Another sign of "UR HD is t3h Dieingz" was those programs taking minutes to load.

I had a lot of both Apple and Peee[Stop it!--Ed.]C techies recommend the SSD years ago. I was waiting for . . . heh . . . heh . . . size--"250 GB?! What is this? 2003?"--and price. Assuming you maxed your RAM, they heralded this as "the thing" to do. The processors are faster but not that much given the prices. I just waited for the price. Mac or PC, I was not spending the near equivalent of half the price of a computer for 500 GBs. There were also "issues" with SSDs so I waited.

So: you may have faster processors if your computer is more recent. This one is nearly ten years old. If you mean, I think, a "desk top," well, PC or Mac desktops will outpace a laptop based on the processors available as well as the RAM.

If you are talking a laptop, then expect that time to be much faster.

Fuck it. I currently have two browsers, a translation program, and a video program running. I will time the reboot.

In the:

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 am

I did it twice. I use the VLC "Nightly" for HD which does not have an updated code-signature which causes Mac to pause whilst checking it. I fixed that. It did not effect anything other than the final loading of VLC:
  • Reboot to Login Screen 30s
    [Type in Password]
    _____
    Pages Load 4s
    Firefox Loading 25s
    Firefox all tabs restored 1:35
    Safari all tabs restored 1:45
    Invader Zim warning me to "Prepare to Meet Your Horrible DOOM!" [Final boot program running--Ed.] 2:00
VLC was ready to go long before FF.

If I do not have FF, Safari, and a few other programs running, when the pages come up, it is pretty much ready to go.

In the:

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!