Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for ...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Neither party has relied on "swing voters" for a long time. Elections are won by riling up your base to vote against those other bastards, not by getting the 5% or so of voters who are persuadable to join your side, especially because they aren't really all that persuadable. Even non-partisan aligned voters tend to vote the same party time after time. It's almost like most "swing voters" are just Republicans or Democrats who don't like labels.

ANd the "rile up your base" strategy has the side effect of making parties cater increasingly toward extremes. And here we are.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:20 pm

The last election was lost by DNC because they took chunks of key election states for granted.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

xouper

Postby xouper » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm

corplinx wrote:https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2018/07/05/rap-sheet-acts-of-media-approved-violence-and-harassment-against-trump-supporters/

Sadly, you have to get the tallied list of media complicit acts of violence or uncivil behavior from a site like Breitbart (which automatically makes it wrong of course).

I still contend that there is no way to deescalate this and when the right finally get sick of it, the weaker and less armed left will want to hit the reset button suddenly.

The real media ignoring the problem or exacerbating it pushes righties into the fringes since only the fringes are pointing out the plain fact that the media wants trump supporters confronted with ostracism or violence.

Update: The list has grown to 133 incidents.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2018/07/05/rap-sheet-acts-of-media-approved-violence-and-harassment-against-trump-supporters/

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Neither party has relied on "swing voters" for a long time. ...

The presidential election numbers show different (as previously noted).

However that is not necessarily a conscious strategy so you may be right as far as that goes.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Democrats staying home had a far greater effect than any crossing of party lines

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Democrats staying home had a far greater effect than any crossing of party lines

Those are swing voters too.

If they were scared off by Hillary before the election, they will continue to be scared off by all these other antics.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:35 pm

Member when the mainstream media labeled every tea partier a black lynching dog whistler neo confederate hick for one guy hanging Obama in effigy?

The Democrats have actual seditious statements, actual violence, and verbose marching orders. It all gets mansplained away by the media and they get turned into heroes.

So, on the shunning front (which is really a call to Dehumanize wrong-thinkers to make violence against them more acceptable); the Democrat who started #walkaway has already been called Alt-Right by the media.

Welcome former Democrat to the smear machine! First they make sure to either call you Alt-Right or if someone Alt-Right follows you on twitter, an "Alt Right Hero".

You start out a neo-nazi with the non-Fox media and aren't human again until you post something about punching Trump supporters.
Last edited by corplinx on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:35 pm

They are swing voters only insofar as "not making a choice is still a choice"

If you want to mangle the definition of swing voter to that degree, though. Sure, Swing voters decide every election. Right down to city dog catcher.

But that also means that the strategy both parties are using is best described as "Trying to make sure your party produces fewer swing voters than the other one"

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:40 pm

We have statistics and data to show that swing voters exist and how they vote. I am not sure what your point is Nyar.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:They are swing voters only insofar as "not making a choice is still a choice"

That is always the case.

Look up voter turn out figures, and remember those figures are for registered voters.
Folks who are legally eligible to vote but just plain never gave a shit aren't even counted.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Grammatron wrote:We have statistics and data to show that swing voters exist and how they vote. I am not sure what your point is Nyar.

Yes. They exist. They comprise roughly 5% of the electorate and we know how they vote. They tend to vote primarily for one party or the other despite eschewing the labels of either one.

And my point is that neither party really gives a shit about a small minority of voters whose potential for "swinginess" is overstated. Let me put it this way, barring a few exceptions (of which you are not one, Gram) I don't think anyone on this board considers themselves hardcore full on member of either party. I.e. one of these semi-mythical potential "swing voters" being discussed.

Do you feel particularly catered to? By either party? Does it seem like either party is bending over backwards for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCXTu5jE-Ng

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Between the religious nutjob party and the violent leftist anarchist party, I feel underserved.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:We have statistics and data to show that swing voters exist and how they vote. I am not sure what your point is Nyar.

Yes. They exist. They comprise roughly 5% of the electorate and we know how they vote. They tend to vote primarily for one party or the other despite eschewing the labels of either one.

And my point is that neither party really gives a shit about a small minority of voters whose potential for "swinginess" is overstated. Let me put it this way, barring a few exceptions (of which you are not one, Gram) I don't think anyone on this board considers themselves hardcore full on member of either party. I.e. one of these semi-mythical potential "swing voters" being discussed.

Election are won and lost with new strategies using new mass media techniques all the time. Take a small base of voters in a key district for granted and it's billions down the drain.
Do you feel particularly catered to? By either party?

Almost never. But I care about certain issues and sometimes my priorities and priorities of politicians align.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:53 pm

My point exactly

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Almost never. But I care about certain issues and sometimes my priorities and priorities of politicians align.

I don't doubt that happens from time to time. And when it does, it is purely by accident, not design

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:02 pm

xouper wrote:
corplinx wrote:https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2018/07/05/rap-sheet-acts-of-media-approved-violence-and-harassment-against-trump-supporters/

Sadly, you have to get the tallied list of media complicit acts of violence or uncivil behavior from a site like Breitbart (which automatically makes it wrong of course).

I still contend that there is no way to deescalate this and when the right finally get sick of it, the weaker and less armed left will want to hit the reset button suddenly.

The real media ignoring the problem or exacerbating it pushes righties into the fringes since only the fringes are pointing out the plain fact that the media wants trump supporters confronted with ostracism or violence.

Update: The list has grown to 133 incidents.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2018/07/05/rap-sheet-acts-of-media-approved-violence-and-harassment-against-trump-supporters/

Update: The list is now 254 incidents of media approved attacks on Trump supporters.

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 pm

lol breitbart.

What, is Infowars down?

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 pm

omg, he used a breitbart link!

checkmate atheist, amirite?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Not unless it has tits.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:lol breitbart. What, is Infowars down?

Fail #1: I don't use Infowars as a source for anything. I don't even go there.

Fail #2: I had expected better from you than to try to smear the reputation of a poster here by falsely insinuating guilt by association for an association that does not exist.

Fail #3: If you want to dispute the accuracy of the report, you need to do better than trying to dismiss them using the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem.

Edited to add: Perhaps I misinterpreted, and you were making a (lame) joke rather than an actual rebuttal.
Last edited by xouper on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”