Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for ...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 pm

corplinx wrote:Welcome to the blacklist Elon!
Unlike some of the other examples in this thread, I think this is 100% legit.

We're not talking about shunning friends and family here, only deciding what car to buy.

GM is more of a Democrat company anyway. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm

This is a growing, but feels like recent, phenomenon of everything Republican being boycotted and suppressed.

For those unfamiliar, In & Out is a wildly popular burger chain that is not franchised but entirely privately owned.

Apparently if you are an entity that deal, or supports Republicans you are to be shunned.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Shut the fuck up, Donnie!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Boycotting a restaurant that supports a cause you don't like is not "shunning" as I have understood it, and is in fact a totally legitimate way to deal with the situation.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm
Boycotting a restaurant that supports a cause you don't like is not "shunning" as I have understood it, and is in fact a totally legitimate way to deal with the situation.
Both are in fact totally legitimate way to deal with the situation. But I don't see why this is not "shunning"; what's the difference?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 pm

The difference is shunning is personal.

For example breaking all ties with Aunt Minnie because she won't stop eating at In And Out.

And then breaking all ties with Uncle George, even though he never eat that crap, because he won't shun Minnie.

Go back to the OP for less hypothetical examples.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 pm

For example breaking all ties with Aunt Minnie because she won't stop eating at In And Out.

And then breaking all ties with Uncle George, even though he never eat that crap, because he won't shun Minnie.

Go back to the OP for less hypothetical examples.
This all feeds into the same ends. How do you know to shun Aunt Minnie? Well she eats at disapproved establishments, shops at wrong stores, and read incorrect books. How do we know those are incorrect, wrong, and disapproved? Well we go and see who donated to Republicans.

I welcome this idiocy only because it's a strategy of failure.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 pm
Not necessarily.

One can shun responsibilities or social events or Mountain Dew or publicity or other things without targeting anyone personally.

According The Dictionary™, there is a huge overlap in the definitions of shun and boycott, and they are often used interchangeably.

A boycott can also be personal, just ask Captain Charles Boycott or Laura Ingraham.

:bricks:

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Does anyone doubt that if they had the means the Democratic Party would form a totalitarian government where all political opposition would be outlawed?

There is absolutely nothing equivalent on the GOP side. The GOP base doesn't show up at Democrat events to protest them and assault the participants. They don't call for boycotts of DNC donors, or try to dox them and get them fired. They don't block progressive speakers from speaking.

IMHO there's a lot of projection going on when they accuse Trump of being a fascist.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 pm

WildCat wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 pm
IMHO there's a lot of projection going on when they accuse Trump of being a fascist.
Exactly.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 pm

I am speaking of "shunning" as practiced by certain religious cults such as Jehovah's Witnesses and more recently some Democrats.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 pm
I am speaking of "shunning" as practiced by certain religious cults such as Jehovah's Witnesses and more recently some Democrats.
I shall defer to Rule #12.b: If you are the person making the argument in the opening post, you get to define what you mean by the words you use.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:10 am

WildCat wrote:
Does anyone doubt that if they had the means the Democratic Party would form a totalitarian government where all political opposition would be outlawed?
Remember when that happened during the two Clinton Administrations and the Obama Administration?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL Champions!!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 am

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:10 am
WildCat wrote:
Remember when that happened during the two Clinton Administrations and the Obama Administration?

--J.D.
Did I claim they had the means then?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 am

WildCat wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 am
Doctor X wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:10 am
WildCat wrote:

Did I claim they had the means then?
So it was another fatuous claim?

Like that Clinton Bush Obama Trump will "tear up the Constitution?"

Relax.

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:40 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 pm
Shunning the non-believer is very close to what I see these extremist are suggesting. You may be seeing things in a more nuanced way than I

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am

I would disagree in that this is beyond "shunning" as refusing to acknowledge another. This is an active hostility to someone.

Someone who is . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

--J. "Be Seeing You!" D.

AL Champions!!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 am
It was a logical conclusion based on the available evidence. Good luck finding any "progressive" these days willing to speak out in support of free speech, and they are rapidly replacing the old-school liberals who actually defended free speech.

Bear in mind 8 years ago we had 4 Supreme Court justices who decided that corporations were excluded from the protections of the 1st Amendment, and corporate news media was protected only by being explicitly exempted from the law that bears the godlike John McCain's name. And both Hillary and Bernie ran on overturning the majority opinion, and I will bet that every single Democrat running in 2020 will do the same.

I stand by my statement. Freedom of speech today is under assault by the left almost exclusively. They tried to chip away at it and lost by a single vote at the SCOTUS. They will try again, if anything their opposition to free speech has only gotten stronger since then.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 pm

WildCat wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:05 pm
Doctor X wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 am
It was a logical conclusion. . . .
Ipse dixit yet incorrect again since this statement premise:
based on the available evidence.
proves quite wrong.
Good luck finding any "progressive" these days willing to speak out in support of free speech, . . .
Journey over to www.popehat.com or listen to Alan Derscherdekurt or even visit with the ALCU.
and they are rapidly replacing the old-school liberals who actually defended free speech.
AND HER LITTLE BAND DOG TOTTO TOO?!11!!!

This then becomes a stringing together of non sequitur to create a grand argumentum ad veritatem obfuscandam fallacy.
I stand by my statement.
1-14

Sorry . . .

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!