This is the "serious" Kanye thread. We'll see if it lasts.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: This is the "serious" Kanye thread. We'll see if it lasts.

Postby gnome » Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Trust me, it's not good will or concern for suffering I'm figuring into any politician's behavior. I'm speaking of getting votes and reputation.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Fri May 04, 2018 1:49 pm

gnome wrote:Trust me, it's not good will or concern for suffering I'm figuring into any politician's behavior. I'm speaking of getting votes and reputation.

Right. And creating jobs and wealth and stuff is beyond their ability, pandering and band-aids are not.

The people that can create wealth stay in the private sector.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 04, 2018 2:21 pm

ed wrote: The people that can create wealth want to stay in the private sector .

FTFY, Tovarishch :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 pm

ed wrote:
gnome wrote:Trust me, it's not good will or concern for suffering I'm figuring into any politician's behavior. I'm speaking of getting votes and reputation.

Right. And creating jobs and wealth and stuff is beyond their ability, pandering and band-aids are not.

Remember, I didn't say that they had to actually be the ones to do it, just that they can take credit for it.

What I'm arguing against is Wildcat's assertion that politicians deliberately keep people poor so that they can get votes by offering welfare dollar. I believe indifference more than I believe that. His assertion implies the politician has a choice--and I think if their choice mattered, most would rather run on good news than bad, even if it benefits them to be seen offering relief.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Postby ed » Fri May 04, 2018 3:07 pm

gnome wrote:
ed wrote:

Remember, I didn't say that they had to actually be the ones to do it, just that they can take credit for it.

What I'm arguing against is Wildcat's assertion that politicians deliberately keep people poor so that they can get votes by offering welfare dollar. I believe indifference more than I believe that. His assertion implies the politician has a choice--and I think if their choice mattered, most would rather run on good news than bad, even if it benefits them to be seen offering relief.

I think that poorer people are more easily manipulated and manipulated by cheaper things. So Wildcat is right insofar as politicians prefer a pliable electorate. Tell me, why do you think the dems are in favor of open borders? You think they want rich Swedes coming in?

They don't have to do anything to make people poor, they only have to do nothing.

Case in point: how are the politicians addressing the black on black gun violence in Chicago? They could, you know. Why do you think they aren't? And here the result of their slime is not just poverty, it is loss of life. No, they well and truly do not give a shit about anything other than power. The data shows it.
- new minimalist ethos -

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm

It's not indifference that causes Democrats to fight tooth and nail against development and school reform. Poor, uneducated, government-dependent people are reliable Democrat voters. It's no coincidence that California is the bluest state and has the highest poverty level in the country and is near last in school performance.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

ed

Postby ed » Fri May 04, 2018 5:57 pm

WildCat wrote:It's not indifference that causes Democrats to fight tooth and nail against development and school reform. Poor, uneducated, government-dependent people are reliable Democrat voters. It's no coincidence that California is the bluest state and has the highest poverty level in the country and is near last in school performance.

ETA

It's not indifference that causes Democrats to fight tooth and nail against development and school reform. Poor, uneducated, government-dependent people are reliable Democrat votersbecause the payoffs necessary to assure their loyalty are minimal.

I ask again, why are the democrats in favor of open borders? And does that serve the interests of the country long term?
- new minimalist ethos -

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”