Did something happen w/ North Korea?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Did something happen w/ North Korea?

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:59 am

I think you may have gotten your sports metaphor slightly mixed there. :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 am

Inspired by Sir Desmond Glazebrook:

2:10, oddly enough right after "Sun readers don't care who run the country so long as she's got big tits."

Unfortunately, some of the ones when his entire responses are nothing but mixed sports cliches does not seem hosted.

--J. "He Actually Tries to Stop Dishonesty!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:47 am

I'm starting to feel more pessimistic about this.
Actually just reverting to my earlier pessimism.

It really was a little too good to be true that North Korea would suddenly change its stripes like that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ar/564620/
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I think you may have gotten your sports metaphor slightly mixed there. :notsure:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I'm starting to feel more pessimistic about this.
Actually just reverting to my earlier pessimism.

It really was a little too good to be true that North Korea would suddenly change its stripes like that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ar/564620/

The only shift in NK policy that will ever matter is if they decide they no longer want reunification.

Until that can be established, every NK action can be safely assumed to be aimed at that goal and shouldn't be taken at face value.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:40 am

US intelligence agencies determine that North Korea is constructing new missiles: report
U.S. intelligence agencies indicate North Korea is building new missiles, officials told The Washington Post on Monday, weeks after President Trump declared the nation is "no longer a Nuclear Treat."

Satellite images taken in recent weeks appear to show that at least one and possibly two liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) are being worked on at a large research facility in Sanumdong, outside of the capital of Pyongyang.

This is the same facility where the country first produced intercontinental ballistic missiles that could reach the U.S., the newspaper noted.

The classified intelligence comes weeks after Trump's June summit with leader Kim Jong Un.

“We see them going to work, just as before,” said one U.S. official who spoke to The Post on the condition of anonymity.

U.S. spy networks can reportedly view supply trucks and other vehicles around the missile facility daily.

A bright-red covered trailer, identical to the those the country used to transport previous ICBMs, was photographed on July 7 at the facility’s loading area.

Independent missile experts told the newspaper that they are observing the same activity.

The facility is “not dead, by any stretch of the imagination,” said Jeffrey Lewis, director of the East Asia Nonproliferation Program at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies.

The nonprofit group analyzed the photos obtained from satellite firm Planet.

“It’s active. We see shipping containers and vehicles coming and going,” Lewis said. “This is a facility where they build ICBMs and space-launch vehicles.”

Satellite images also show the Sohae Satellite Launching Station being dismantled, a step toward fulfilling the promises Kim made to Trump.

The two leaders signed an agreement committing the U.S. to unspecified “security guarantees” in exchange for a denuclearized Korean Peninsula.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 am

You knew that U.S. Intelligence was Lying for Her Turn.

And maybe even the Iraq?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:18 am

The North Korea Peace Process Is All in Trump’s Head
Some say last week’s cancellation of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s trip to Pyongyang signaled a breakdown in the U.S.–North Korean disarmament talks, but this misses three much larger points, which go way beyond Korea and speak to the failings of President Trump’s foreign policy as a whole.

First, the talks were never going anywhere to begin with; there is nothing to break down.

Second, the Trump administration’s policy on North Korea is in complete chaos.

Third, the reason it’s in chaos is that Trump himself has no idea that it is in chaos, or that the talks have been moribund from their beginning, or that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is taking him for a ride and everyone knows it, except Trump.

Our story begins on Friday, when Trump tweeted:
This jolted close observers. The day before, Pompeo had hired Steve Biegun, a Ford Motors executive who had worked in George W. Bush’s National Security Council, to be his special envoy to North Korea. The trip was to be their maiden voyage as a team. But then North Korea’s chief negotiator (and former top spy) Kim Yong-chol sent Pompeo a belligerently toned letter, which suggested to the secretary—who persuaded Trump—that a trip would be pointless. Hence Trump’s tweet.

If that had been Trump’s only tweet, it might have been a shrewd move. In past negotiations, North Koreans get cranky as a way of testing their interlocutors; a piss-off note from Trump might have compelled a concession, even if just a superficial one.

But Trump didn’t stop there. He proceeded to blame the lack of progress not on the North Koreans but rather on the Chinese, who, “because of our much tougher Trading stance,” are not “helping with the process of denuclearization as they once were.”

Finally, Trump added:
If Kim had been concerned for a moment that his bluff had been called and that the Americans were about to get tough, Trump’s final tweet allayed his worries—and perhaps made him laugh. It assured Kim that he can continue stalling on disarmament—that he can do almost anything he wants—without facing any punishment because, like other autocrats who have learned the art of dealing with Trump, he’s bamboozled our narcissistic president into thinking that the two of them are friends.

. . .

This is how Trump thinks international politics works. Back in June, when he proposed letting Russia back into the G-8, he explained his thinking: “If Vladimir Putin were sitting next to me at a table … I could say, ‘Would you do me a favor and get out of Syria? Would you do me a favor, would you get out of Ukraine?’ ” Soon after this bizarre remark, Trump held his infamous summit with Putin and, whatever else happened (this remains a mystery), no such favors were granted.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 am

But ... Trump is the Great Deal Maker!!!11 :lmao:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:07 am

Then you will blame him for not talking when the war comes.

--J.D.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:09 am

You know me Doc, I'll blame that sonofabitch for everything I think I can pin on the pissant bastard. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:29 am

So you blame him for Obama?

--J.D.

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 pm

I blame him when the Red Sox lose.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:09 pm

North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho meets with Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif in Tehran on Tuesday [Aug. 7].

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:23 pm

That North Korean flag looks crinkled and all kinds of cheap, which makes sense I suppose.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:27 pm

"Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy ... " :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale