Facebook and all those other bastards (Ecrasez l'infame)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: Facebook and all those other bastards (Ecrasez l'infame)

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Image
The number of fingers checks out, but I really thought he had more pointy ears. :(

Seen from here, I'm under the impression the Congress critters didn't do their homework and were quite clueless about the Facebook mysteries. :roll:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote: This made me curious so I downloaded my data too. What I find truly scary isn't the stuff I actually told them, or even the stuff that can be easily surmised (i.e. I see that I am targetted for D&D ads. The fact that I am part of 5 or 6 D&D related groups makes it a no brainer that such interests me). What I find truly scary is the stuff that falls into neither of those two categories but that their algorithms figured out about me anyway. I.e I am NOT part of any groups for the TV show Orphan Black nor have I mentioned it much on FB. Yet it has me pegged as a fan.

Some things are wrong. It has me pegged as someone who like First Person Shooter Games and I absolutely despise those. And as a huge fan of Johnny Cash, apparently, not sure why. I think he's okay and there are a couple of his songs I like but he shows up in my "ad topics" list 4 or 5 times. I don't think I ever input my address, or if I did I did it at my old house when I first started FB in 2008 or so. Yet they have a correct and current address for me. But yet, they also have a phone number for me that is at least 7 years out of date. Not so sure I want to correct their error, all things considered.

And I agree with the article's author, that you have no idea who is accessing your data and I am not sure I like that. Also, I am not sure WHY some of these people have accessed my data. They list "Advertisers who uploaded a contact list with your info". Some make sense Amazon, for instance, or any of several game companies. But "Oklahoman's for Energy Options?" WTF, I am not from Oklahoma, why do they need my info? Or the California Republican Pary. I am neither Republican nor (more to the point in this case) from California. What the hell does the "New England Council of Carptenters" want with the info of a computer programmer from Nevada?

Interesting stuff. If anyone has FB, I recommend they do the download.
Maybe some of those things that don't apply to you are because you have a Facebook friend who was targeted?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Makes sense I guess.

Still curious what the Johnny Cash thing is all about. Exactly what did I do to convince some bot that I am a Johnny Cash superfan?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 am

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 pm

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Still curious what the Johnny Cash thing is all about. Exactly what did I do to convince some bot that I am a Johnny Cash superfan?
You shot that man in Reno just to watch him die?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 am

They never proved that

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am

You've used that line here before, though. If you've said it on FB a couple of times, maybe that's the Johnny Cash angle?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:55 am

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 am

What I THINK it might be is that I do happen to like his renditions of Ghost Riders in the Sky and The Cremation of Sam McGee and am pretty sure I might have posted THOSE on FB a time or two.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:00 am

Still, liking a couple of his works hardly seems like it would be sufficient to make him pop up four times in the list of things FB thinks I am into.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Facebook admits it does track non-users, for their own good
The Register
... When non-Facebook sites add a “Like” button (a social plugin, in Baser's terminology), visitors to those sites are tracked: Facebook gets their IP address, browser and OS fingerprint, and visited site. ...
NoScript + AdBlock + third part cookies disabled does the trick. 8)

I think. :|
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 pm

Hackers advertise stolen card details on Facebook
Criminals are using hundreds of groups on Facebook to advertise stolen credit card details, cyberattacks and logins for hacked Amazon and Netflix accounts.

Brian Krebs, a security researcher, identified nearly 120 groups apparently dedicated to fraud, hacking and money laundering — activities normally associated with the “dark web”. The groups had more than 300,000 members and had been on Facebook for an average of two years, although some had been active for nine years.
:lol:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun May 06, 2018 4:17 am

The Register wrote:Cambridge Analytica dismantled for good? Nope: It just changed its name to Emerdata

The company formerly known as Cambridge Analytica shocked the media today when it announced an immediate shutdown and liquidation of its business.

That "shutdown," however, may be short-lived as official documents indicate those behind the controversial analytics company will be launching as a new firm with a less-toxic brand.
Details: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/0 ... _shutdown/

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Witness wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Image
The number of fingers checks out, but I really thought he had more pointy ears. :(

Seen from here, I'm under the impression the Congress critters didn't do their homework and were quite clueless about the Facebook mysteries. :roll:
Funny, he also bears a slight resemblance to H.P. Lovecraft....does make me wonder.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Facebook rumors incite hatred, leading to deadly end in Sri Lanka

Basically there's a sort of modern-day blood libel being spread through Facebook leading to modern-day pogroms.

Facebook doesn't really have many people to moderate content in other languages, so usually misinformation is left up even if reported.

The rumors are being spread that there's a conspiracy by Muslims to sterilize Buddhists by sneaky means.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed May 16, 2018 11:29 pm

There are race/religious riots happening in Asia (India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Pakistan) without the benefit of Facebook. To go back in history, pogroms in Europe against Jews under the pretense of them murdering Christian babies did not need Facebook either.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu May 17, 2018 1:16 am

Grammatron wrote:There are race/religious riots happening in Asia (India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Pakistan) without the benefit of Facebook. To go back in history, pogroms in Europe against Jews under the pretense of them murdering Christian babies did not need Facebook either.
I don't think facebook was needed for the The Armenian Genocide either...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu May 17, 2018 1:48 am

Grammatron wrote:There are race/religious riots happening in Asia (India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Pakistan) without the benefit of Facebook. To go back in history, pogroms in Europe against Jews under the pretense of them murdering Christian babies did not need Facebook either.
This is true and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, I'm just pointing out that now a lot of this sort of misinformation is being spread via Facebook, and the company doesn't seem to be doing much to stop it.

After the Kanto earthquake in Japan in 1923 there were false rumors spread about ethnic Koreans poisoning wells, and committing looting and arson, which also led to a lot of innocent people being lynched.
William Shakespeare