Facebook and all those other bastards (Ecrasez l'infame)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Facebook and all those other bastards (Ecrasez l'infame)

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:52 pm

A Bunch of Senators Just Showed They Have No Idea How Facebook Works. They Want to Regulate It Anyway.
Reason

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D–Vt.) brought along a poster on which his office had printed out images of various Facebook pages. Leahy asked whether these were Russian propaganda groups. "Senator, are you asking about those specifically?" Zuckerberg asked. He of course had no way of knowing what was going on with those specific pages, just from looking at pictures of them. "I'm not familiar with those pieces of content," Zuckerberg finally conceded.

:lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm

If we have "Freedom of the Press" in this country, where is the constitutional warrant to regulate Russian propaganda?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Conspiracy Theory sighted on the RW of the web:

Democrat Party regulars are giving Zuck a hard time in order to prevent him from running for president as a Democrat in 2020.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Shopped! :p

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Seen today in downtown Chicago, across Wacker form the Opera house:

A sidewalk level billboard for Facebook, telling us they are our friend and will will protect us from fake news. :lmao:
Today: All over town and up and down the Metra stations, in several variations.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 am

I Downloaded the Information That Facebook Has on Me. Yikes.
When I downloaded a copy of my Facebook data last week, I didn’t expect to see much. My profile is sparse, I rarely post anything on the site, and I seldom click on ads. (I’m what some call a Facebook “lurker.”)

But when I opened my file, it was like opening Pandora’s box.

With a few clicks, I learned that about 500 advertisers — many that I had never heard of, like Bad Dad, a motorcycle parts store, and Space Jesus, an electronica band — had my contact information, which could include my email address, phone number and full name. Facebook also had my entire phone book, including the number to ring my apartment buzzer. The social network had even kept a permanent record of the roughly 100 people I had deleted from my friends list over the last 14 years, including my exes.

There was so much that Facebook knew about me — more than I wanted to know. But after looking at the totality of what the Silicon Valley company had obtained about yours truly, I decided to try to better understand how and why my data was collected and stored. I also sought to find out how much of my data could be removed.

How Facebook collects and treats personal information was central this week when Mark Zuckerberg, the company’s chief executive, answered questions in Congress about data privacy and his responsibilities to users. During his testimony, Mr. Zuckerberg repeatedly said Facebook has a tool for downloading your data that “allows people to see and take out all the information they’ve put into Facebook.”

But that’s an overstatement. Most basic information, like my birthday, could not be deleted. More important, the pieces of data that I found objectionable, like the record of people I had unfriended, could not be removed from Facebook, either.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:38 am

Couldn't decide whether this one belonged here or in the shitpost thread. Flipped a coin...

Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 am

Yea.

Thanks Nyar! That is excellent. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I Downloaded the Information That Facebook Has on Me. Yikes.
When I downloaded a copy of my Facebook data last week, I didn’t expect to see much. My profile is sparse, I rarely post anything on the site, and I seldom click on ads. (I’m what some call a Facebook “lurker.”)

But when I opened my file, it was like opening Pandora’s box.

With a few clicks, I learned that about 500 advertisers — many that I had never heard of, like Bad Dad, a motorcycle parts store, and Space Jesus, an electronica band — had my contact information, which could include my email address, phone number and full name. Facebook also had my entire phone book, including the number to ring my apartment buzzer. The social network had even kept a permanent record of the roughly 100 people I had deleted from my friends list over the last 14 years, including my exes.

There was so much that Facebook knew about me — more than I wanted to know. But after looking at the totality of what the Silicon Valley company had obtained about yours truly, I decided to try to better understand how and why my data was collected and stored. I also sought to find out how much of my data could be removed.

How Facebook collects and treats personal information was central this week when Mark Zuckerberg, the company’s chief executive, answered questions in Congress about data privacy and his responsibilities to users. During his testimony, Mr. Zuckerberg repeatedly said Facebook has a tool for downloading your data that “allows people to see and take out all the information they’ve put into Facebook.”

But that’s an overstatement. Most basic information, like my birthday, could not be deleted. More important, the pieces of data that I found objectionable, like the record of people I had unfriended, could not be removed from Facebook, either.
This made me curious so I downloaded my data too. What I find truly scary isn't the stuff I actually told them, or even the stuff that can be easily surmised (i.e. I see that I am targetted for D&D ads. The fact that I am part of 5 or 6 D&D related groups makes it a no brainer that such interests me). What I find truly scary is the stuff that falls into neither of those two categories but that their algorithms figured out about me anyway. I.e I am NOT part of any groups for the TV show Orphan Black nor have I mentioned it much on FB. Yet it has me pegged as a fan.

Some things are wrong. It has me pegged as someone who like First Person Shooter Games and I absolutely despise those. And as a huge fan of Johnny Cash, apparently, not sure why. I think he's okay and there are a couple of his songs I like but he shows up in my "ad topics" list 4 or 5 times. I don't think I ever input my address, or if I did I did it at my old house when I first started FB in 2008 or so. Yet they have a correct and current address for me. But yet, they also have a phone number for me that is at least 7 years out of date. Not so sure I want to correct their error, all things considered.

And I agree with the article's author, that you have no idea who is accessing your data and I am not sure I like that. Also, I am not sure WHY some of these people have accessed my data. They list "Advertisers who uploaded a contact list with your info". Some make sense Amazon, for instance, or any of several game companies. But "Oklahoman's for Energy Options?" WTF, I am not from Oklahoma, why do they need my info? Or the California Republican Pary. I am neither Republican nor (more to the point in this case) from California. What the hell does the "New England Council of Carptenters" want with the info of a computer programmer from Nevada?

Interesting stuff. If anyone has FB, I recommend they do the download.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:02 am

I like that when some of these people access my info, they will see that my current occupation is self-employed as a Cthulhu Cultist, having recently moved on from my old job as a Cargo Handler for Weyland-Yutani. And that I have a degree in Medieval Metaphysics from Miskatonic U.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 am

I was wait-listed as Miskatonic.

Bastards!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:34 am

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:59 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:I like that when some of these people access my info, they will see that my current occupation is self-employed as a Cthulhu Cultist, having recently moved on from my old job as a Cargo Handler for Weyland-Yutani. And that I have a degree in Medieval Metaphysics from Miskatonic U.
I created an account under a pseudonym. For reasons that are unclear, 100+ people bid me make them my friends. I leave it to you to ruminate how horrid their lives much be to importune a non-existent stranger for friendship ...

But they did generate some accurate crap it seems. Thing is you can be anonymous when you create an account and if you use TOR you can be pretty much under the radar. Point is, why then would you engage in social media if anonymity is your goal?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am

About those billboards -- There is no reason for me to suppose only Chicago is targeted.

Any sightings elsewhere?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Mark Steyn checks in.

Only in America?

My favorite exchange yesterday came when Senator Dan Sullivan took the microphone. He's a Republican from Alaska, but he could as easily have been a Democrat of a certain disposition. He observed that Mr Zuckerberg had created his spectacularly lucrative global behemoth in his college dorm room at the age of nineteen. And then he said: "Facebook is an 'Only in America' story, right?"

The witness looked befuddled - as I do in, say, Marseille, when a bit of local vernacular runs up against the limits of my conversational French.

So Senator Sullivan attempted to clarify what he meant. "You couldn't do this in China, right?"

Zuckerberg considered the matter, sincerely. "Well, Senator," he said, "there are some very strong Chinese Internet companies."

"Come on, I'm trying to help you," growled the plain-spoken Sullivan, throwing in the towel. "Gimme a break, you're in front of a bunch of senators: the answer is yes." The audience laughed. But the child-man seemed genuinely nonplussed.

Alternate headline: Zuckerberg fails Turing test. :lmao:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm

ed wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I like that when some of these people access my info, they will see that my current occupation is self-employed as a Cthulhu Cultist, having recently moved on from my old job as a Cargo Handler for Weyland-Yutani. And that I have a degree in Medieval Metaphysics from Miskatonic U.
I created an account under a pseudonym. For reasons that are unclear, 100+ people bid me make them my friends. I leave it to you to ruminate how horrid their lives much be to importune a non-existent stranger for friendship ...

But they did generate some accurate crap it seems. Thing is you can be anonymous when you create an account and if you use TOR you can be pretty much under the radar. Point is, why then would you engage in social media if anonymity is your goal?
Yeah, that's why this doesn't bother me TOO much. Just amazes me what their algorithms can figure out beyond what you tell them. The main reason I have fake employment info is because there was a time I was engaging with a lot of anti-vaxxers and they have a nasty habit of harassing people through their employers in a bid to get them fired. I suppose they could figure it out anyway, if they tried hard enough, but I didn't want to make it easy. Besides, "Cargo Handler for Weyland-Yutani" or "Robot Wrangler for Cyberdyne" sounds way cooler than my actual job and employer.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Doctor X wrote:I was wait-listed as Miskatonic.

Bastards!

--J.D.
Hard school to get into.

Harder still to get out of...alive and sane.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm

The internet is really having a field day with Zuck. I kinda feel sorry for him.
William Shakespeare