South Africa Meltdown

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

South Africa Meltdown

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am

'We are not calling for the slaughter of white people - at least for now': South African parliament votes to SEIZE white-owned land as experts warn of violent repercussions

[*] White South African farmers to be removed from their land after parliament vote
[*] The motion for 'expropriation without compensation' passed by a landslide
[*] It was brought about by Julius Malema who said white farmers are 'criminals'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z58VXEVgp7

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: South Africa Meltdown

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm

They will starve.

Incidentally, Nelson Mandela despite his terrorist past, knew better. Which is why South Africa has gone on as a first world country (just barely) as long as it has.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Not a good time to be Asian in South Africa, either.

Edited to fix video embedding
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Sounds like the path Zimbabwe took.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Expropriation without compensation spells economic disaster
As leader of the DA, Mmusi Maimane rightly pointed out, there is a historic precedent which can be observed to see the effect that expropriating land without compensation has. That precedent takes the form of South Africa’s northern neighbour, Zimbabwe. In 2000, then president Robert Mugabe launched a campaign of expropriating land from white farmers without compensation, leading to mass-killing of white farmers and the exodus of many others.
Subsequently, Zimbabwe experienced a period of hyperinflation, which decimated the value of their currency, along with causing a famine within the country. Recently, Zimbabwe had asked many previous white farmers to come back to Zimbabwe, trying to lure them in with promises of long-overdue compensation. Although President Ramaphosa had promised that expropriation of land would take place in a manner that is not harmful to food security or economic growth, he has failed to forward any concrete ways in which this would be ensured, and it is hard to see how he would be able to secure the steady and stable transition of land after the legislation had been passed. As such, South Africa might be heading down the same route as Zimbabwe, should expropriation without compensation be followed through.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:09 pm

"Re-target the following warheads....."
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 am

David Frum has an article about South Africa in The Atlantic. May be worth a read:

Can a New President Really Solve South Africa's Corruption Problem?

It's pretty clear that the outgoing president, Jacob Zuma, was corrupt. It remains to be seen whether things will get any better under the new president (probably not).
South Africa’s most highly educated minorities want out. The white middle class is emigrating in the hundreds of thousands to Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States. South Africa’s Jewish population has declined especially sharply, its exodus accelerated by increasingly strident and even violent anti-Semitism, especially at South Africa’s stressed universities.

The recent vote of the South African parliament to expropriate without compensation white-owned farmland will not help. The vote is non-binding because frankly unconstitutional—but the willingness of the ANC majority to recommend constitutional change to allow uncompensated seizures is not reassuring for the country’s future development.
The one-time trade union leader [the new president] has amassed one of South Africa’s largest fortunes—estimated at anything from $400 million to $700 million—not by inventing a product or building a company, but by using his power over union pension funds to get equity for himself in other people’s enterprises. When he invested union pension funds, he would be rewarded with a preference share in the investment for himself personally. South African law requires high levels of compliance with what is locally termed “black economic empowerment”—and for many foreign and local companies, Ramaphosa has become the first partner to talk to. He has, for example, held large stakes in Coca Cola’s and McDonald’s South African investments. He often gained executive roles so that the firm in question could qualify under the BEE scheme for government contracts.

Given South Africa’s long, harsh history of racial subordination, Ramaphosa’s rise to wealth may be regarded as a form of restitution: the still powerful white elite sharing spoils with a rising black elite. Yet Ramaphosa’s way to wealth—the crucial first step of which was his control over retirement funds belonging to others—is different in scale, not in kind, from the principal of the local school granting the snack counter concession to his wife (a much-complained-of abuse in South Africa). International investors have become wary of the politicization of business enterprise in South Africa. Foreign investment is avoiding South Africa: only $2.2 billion of new money in 2016. To put that amount in perspective: It’s only slightly more than tiny Estonia and Latvia together received. It hardly begins to offset the $30 billion that flowed overseas out of South African stocks and bonds in 2016 and the first half of 2017.

Jacob Zuma was the unacceptable, unsophisticated face of South African petty corruption. Cyril Ramophosa is the credentialed, Davos-attending face of a blend of state power and private wealth familiar from Putin’s Moscow to Trump’s Washington. It’s perhaps an improvement to replace the one with the other. But South Africa’s transition to democracy will not be secure until and unless it recognizes that its future will be as stunted by institutionalized corruption as its past was deformed by institutionalized racism.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

But don't call it a shithole.
- new minimalist ethos -

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 pm

ed wrote:But don't call it a shithole.
Yea, interesting how that one has dropped out of the headlines since January...though it did makes the rounds for sure.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Not very interesting. Almost any sound-bite based outrage has a shelf life.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 pm

I met an Australian guy a few years ago who worked at various events around the world for several months at a time. He said when he was in South Africa a large percentage of his crew ended up married or engaged to hot, white South African women desperate to get out.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:37 am

In other news:
South African listeria outbreak largest on record WHO says as Government blames food firms

The South African listeria outbreak has killed 180 people since January 2017, with nearly 1,000 cases reported.

The country's Government has blamed producers of cold meat products for delays in tracing the cause.

"This is the largest ever recorded outbreak of this severe form of listeriosis globally," Peter K. Ben Embarek, who manages the WHO International Food Safety Authorities Network, said.

The Government, which has been criticised for taking too long to find the cause, on Sunday linked the outbreak to a meat product known as "polony" made by Tiger's Enterprise Food.
[…]
South Africa's Health Ministry said the source was found after pre-school children fell ill from eating polony products traced to processed meat producers.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-06/s ... rd/9518202

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

I'd like to point and laugh at the savages with their poor sanitation, but something similar happened hereabouts a few years ago, :|

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 am

shuize wrote:I met an Australian guy a few years ago who worked at various events around the world for several months at a time. He said when he was in South Africa a large percentage of his crew ended up married or engaged to hot, white South African women desperate to get out.
I’m going to quote myself here to say: Don’t get me wrong, if I had the time and money to go to South Africa to screen hot, white women so desperate to get out that they’d consider becoming the next Mrs. shuize, I just might give it a go myself.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 am

I am researching time shares.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:45 am

Doctor X wrote:I am researching time shares.

--J.D.
Edited:

“Hot, women so desperate to get out of South Africa they’d consider becoming the next Mrs. shuize.”

I don’t mean to limit the pool to desperate white women. I would be willing consider all desperate, hot women. Although, to be fair, I do like that Dutch-Afrikaans stock.

Oh, and she’ll have to be willing to relocate to Japan. I’m not sure if that’d be a plus or minus. But it will simplify our timeshare arrangements.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:15 pm

This video starts with some history, and gets to the South Africa farmer murders at ~ 15 minutes in...

Warning it is a bit rough...and long.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:24 pm

A matter of life & death’: 15,000 white South African farmers seek refuge in Russia, report says
A delegation of 30 South African farming families has arrived in Russia’s farmbelt Stavropol Region, Rossiya 1 TV reports. The group says it is facing violent attacks and death threats at home.

Up to 15,000 Boers, descendants of Dutch settlers in South Africa, are planning to move to Russia amid rising violence stemming from government plans to expropriate their land, according to the delegation.

The new South African government, led by President Cyril Ramaphosa, has pledged to return the lands owned by white farmers since the 1600s to the black citizens of the country. The government said it is planning to put an end to what it calls the legacy of apartheid, where most of South Africa’s land is still in the hands of its minority white population.

Rights groups have said the initiative incites violence. There were 74 farm murders and 638 attacks, primarily against white farmers, in 2016-17 in South Africa, according to data by minority rights group AfriForum.

The farmers are prepared to make a contribution to Russia’s booming agricultural sector, according to Rossiya 1. Each family is ready to bring up to $100,000 for leasing the land.

Russia has 43 million hectares of unused farmland, and has recently begun giving out free land to Russian citizens to cultivate farming. The land giveaway program, which began in 2014, has been a huge success.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:57 pm

A biased source but nonetheless ...
The Constitutional Court of South Africa recently ruled that 300,000 gun owners must turn in their firearms.

This judgement came in response to the North Gauteng High Court’s ruling in 2017 which said Section 24 and Section 28 of the Firearm’s Control Act were unconstitutional.

A report from The Citizen explains what Section 24 and Section 28 entail:

“Section 24 of the Act requires that any person who seeks to renew a licence must do so 90 days before its expiry date Section 28 stipulates that if a firearm licence has been cancelled‚ the firearm must be disposed of or forfeited to the state. A 60-day time frame was placed on its disposal, which was to be done through a dealer.”

Now that the High Court’s initial ruling has been overturned, gun owners who failed to renew their firearms licenses must hand in their firearms to the nearest police station, where authorities will then proceed to destroy them.
https://gunpowdermagazine.com/south-afr ... r-weapons/

So how would you like to be an unarmed white farmer miles from civilization?
- new minimalist ethos -

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 pm

I find it difficult to get a clear picture. Anyway, here's a quite short article I deem interesting, quoting the conclusion:
South Africa’s Risky Populist Turn

Land seizures are more likely to hurt the economy — and the poorest — than to remedy inequality.

[…]

But South Africa’s need for outside investment argues for resisting the lure of populism. The better way for Ramaphosa and the ANC to deliver results and win votes is to double down on efforts to address South Africa’s fiscal problems; curb the corruption that has eaten up billions of dollars in state investment; safeguard the integrity of its institutions; and improve the delivery of health, education and other public services. Addressing the deep-seated inequities still entrenched by decades of apartheid requires evidence-based remedies, not populist gambits.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... er-problem