#MeToo (generic)....

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skeeve

#MeToo (generic)....

Post by Skeeve » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:34 pm

#MeToo (generic)...

Lets start off with a former news caster: Celebrities react to Matt Lauer's firing amid sexual misconduct allegations
Sexual harassment scandals have been taking down industry tycoons for weeks in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal and Matt Lauer is the latest big name to come up around the topic. NBC has fired the longtime Today show host following allegations of workplace misconduct.

Lauer’s co-host, Savannah Guthrie, announced the news on air and was visibly emotional.

“We just learned this moments ago, just this morning,” Guthrie said, her voice shaking. “As I’m sure you can imagine, we are devastated and we are still processing all of this… We are heartbroken. I’m heartbroken for Matt – he is my dear, dear friend and my partner, and he has been loved by many, many people here. And I’m heartbroken for the brave colleague who came forward to tell her story, and any other women who have their own stories to tell.”
Yea...begs the question, how come he (probably) didn't make a pass at Savannah?
I suspect if he had, then Savannah would have gotten on the bandwagon.

Okay time for some comic relief.
Naturally, a gleeful President Trump had something say as well, referencing NBC and MSNBC News chairman Andrew Lack.

Wow, Matt Lauer was just fired from NBC for “inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.” But when will the top executives at NBC & Comcast be fired for putting out so much Fake News. Check out Andy Lack’s past!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 29, 2017
:doglaugh:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: #MeToo (generic)....

Post by ed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:40 pm

And .... Garrison Keillor
Now he is woebegone.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm

ed wrote:And .... Garrison Keillor
Now he is woebegone.
Just a trifle too Unitarian. You know how shifty they are.

Image I didn't have an offensive Unitarian graphic handy, so this one will have to do. :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 pm

ed wrote:And .... Garrison Keillor
Now he is woebegone.
Garrison Keillor Fired Day After Op-Ed Defending Al Franken
Interesting how that worked out...
Former Minnesota Public Radio host Garrison Keillor defended embattled Senator Al Franken against sexual harassment allegations, just one day before he was fired over similar allegations.

In a Washington Post op-ed published November 28, Keillor described calls for Franken to resign as “pure absurdity.” “…the atrocity it leads to is a code of public deadliness. No kidding,” he wrote. He also implicitly questioned why Leann Tweeden, the first women to come forward with an allegation against Franken, would publicize her story 11 years after it happened, and only after she became a radio host.
Also interesting when you consider that: Garrison Keillor Once Said a World Without Sexual Harassment Would Be a World Without Flirtation
Former Prairie Home Companion host Garrison Keillor was fired Wednesday following an allegation of inappropriate behavior during his time on the show. ...

“If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars,” Keillor told the Tribune.

Following the revelation, comments about sexual harassment that Keillor made during a 1994 speech at the National Press Club resurfaced on social media. The comments, in which he claimed that “a world in which there is no sexual harassment at all is a world in which there will not be any flirtation,” were made in the context of Keillor discussing Bill Clinton’s presidency.
:lol:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 pm

Citing “inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him,” Minnesota Public Radio said Wednesday it has terminated its relationship with Garrison Keillor, the former host of “A Prairie Home Companion” who helped build MPR into a national powerhouse.

In an email to the Star Tribune on Wednesday, Keillor said, “I put my hand on a woman’s bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”
I believe him.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 pm

No one is safe from accusations.
Alex DeLarge Forced To Step Down As Leader Of Droogs Amidst Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct

LONDON—Pushed out of power as the damning charges mounted, Alex DeLarge was forced to step down Wednesday as leader of the Droogs amidst allegations of sexual misconduct. “In an unfortunate development, we have been forced to remove Mr. DeLarge from his post due to the startling accusations of sexual impropriety that have come to light,” said Droog member Georgie, explaining that although the group had systems in place to swiftly address such allegations, it clearly did not adequately follow those procedures. “Even though these acts took place decades ago, it does not excuse Alex’s heinous and unforgivable actions. This is not at all what the Droogs stand for.” At press time, DeLarge had offered to undergo two weeks of rigorous aversion therapy to rehabilitate himself.

The Onion
--J. "And Ready for Love!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm

#MeToo and Trial by Mob
First of all, I always fear a mob, whatever side it comes from and whatever the initial purpose and aim. A good idea can become mass hysteria in an instant, and important basic rights and responsibilities can be set aside.

If a person is the victim of a crime, that crime should be reported and the accused should have a right to face his or her accuser. This to avoid a trial-by-mob, and to keep people from losing their jobs and having their reputations ruined by a hashtag rather than proof and due process.
But it is so much more fun to destroy a persons reputation
without fear of punishment for something like filing a false police report.
As a mother raising boys in this era, one of them a teenager, I now have to have a long talk with them, warning them that they can be accused after the fact, that in any and all situations that start off consensual they can be deemed a culprit, and that it is important to err on the side of caution when it comes to relationships with girls.
Okay, now I see why a women is writing this...
I hesitated for two days to write about this topic because, honestly, I was afraid of the backlash. We live in a time where one must take sides or face the consequences and outrage, and there is very little space left for debate and shades of gray. That, in itself, freaks me out. A lot.

I welcome a conversation about sexual violence, but allegations by hashtag do not constitute a conversation. They may actually end up harming the underlying cause.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks to Anaxagoras for this tweet (from page 10 of the ""Harvey Weinstein is a sexual harasser." thread).
1. Rolling Stone to Pay $1.65 Million to Fraternity Over Discredited Rape Story

2. 10 Years Later, The Duke Lacrosse Rape Case Still Stings

False Rape Allegations

Eugene J. Kanin, Ph.D. 1

With the cooperation of the police agency of a small metropolitan community,
45 consecutive, disposed, false rape allegations covering a 9 year period were
studied. These false rape allegations constitute 41% the total forcible rape cases
(n = 109) reported during this period. These false allegations appear to sen>e
three major functions for the complainants: providing an alibi, seeking revenge,
and obtaining sympathy and attention. False rape allegations are not the
consequence of a gender-linked aberration, as frequently claimed, but reflect
impulsive and desperate efforts to cope with personal and social stress
situations.
The rest of it (including typos and missing bits) is at the link...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:43 am

Northwestern lawsuit highlights debate on university sexual misconduct policies
Northwestern University is being sued by a student who contends that the university denied him his right to due process when it concluded that he had sexually assaulted a fellow student and then kicked him out of school last year.

Filed in federal court in September, the suit argues that Northwestern’s sexual misconduct policies so heavily favor accusers that respondents have little ability to defend themselves.
The case is just one of many across that nation that have put universities in the midst of a roiling debate over how to handle allegations of sexual misconduct in higher education.

Those policies fall under federal Title IX guidelines....
Another Title XI witch bitch hunt...
I hope he sues them into the stone age.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 am

Here's a story from the other side of the pond...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... udent.html
A judge has called for an inquiry after the trial of a student accused of rape collapsed after police failed to reveal she sent him messages asking for casual sex and revealing her own violent sexual fantasies.

Liam Allan, 22, was on bail for almost two years and spent three days at Croydon Crown Court in the dock before his trial was stopped yesterday.
If found guilty, the 22-year-old was told he would be jailed for at least ten years.

After the trial collapsed Mr Allan, a criminology student, told The Times: 'I can't explain the mental torture of the past two years. I feel betrayed by the system which I had believed would do the right thing — the system I want to work in.'
Judge Peter Gower found him not guilty and set him free saying: 'There is something that has gone wrong and it is a matter that the CPS, in my judgment, should be considering at the very highest level.
He advised of 'serious miscarriages of justice' when he heard that documents were not always sent to defence lawyers in order to keep costs at a minimum.
William Shakespeare wrote:Thrift, thrift Horatio!
Mr Allan, a criminology undergraduate at Greenwich University, was accused of six counts of rape and six sexual assaults against a woman who claimed she did not enjoy sex.

The young man, however, claimed the sexual intercourse had been consensual.
Mr Allan's lawyers were denied access to the woman's telephone records after police insisted there was nothing of interest for the defence or prosecution.

Meanwhile, when a new prosecution barrister took over the case - the day before the trial started - he demanded police hand over the phone records.

A computer disk containing copies of 40,000 messages were taken from the handset, revealing that the woman had continuously pestered the undergraduate for 'casual sex'
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: 'We are aware of this case being dismissed from court and are carrying out an urgent assessment to establish the circumstances which led to this action being taken.

'We are working closely with the Crown Prosecution Service and keeping in close contact with the victim whilst this process takes place.'
Anyone here think this "victim" (name protected by rape shield laws of course) may be prosecuted for filing a false police report, or perjury maybe?

I guess Liam was lucky he could get bail....

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Another update: Rape case scandal is just ‘tip of the iceberg’
The case of an innocent student put on trial for rape because police withheld evidence is just the “tip of the iceberg”, senior barristers said last night.

Dozens of cases have collapsed in the past three years because of serious police failings over the way they handle evidence, according to an inspection report obtained by The Times.
Ya think?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 pm

It's interesting--the story here focuses on evidence handling in rape cases, but I wonder if they're revealing something about police practices that would prove true in prosecuting almost any crimes.

At least, if it's anything like how messed up it is in the US, I bet you can lift the carpet under any type of crime and find serious flaws in how prosecutions are handled.

This isn't a call to inaction. To the contrary, if problems found in one spot are discovered and acted on there can be benefits to the justice system overall.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 pm

gnome wrote:... revealing something about police practices that would prove true in prosecuting almost any crimes ...
You mean like in NYC and Chicago?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:21 pm

I think so, unless you're setting up a rhetorical trap in which case I claim nothing :)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:54 pm

gnome wrote:I think so, unless you're setting up a rhetorical trap in which case I claim nothing :)
Just a general observation about Anglo-Saxon polities. :BigGrin3:

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm

gnome wrote:It's interesting--the story here focuses on evidence handling in rape cases, but I wonder if they're revealing something about police practices that would prove true in prosecuting almost any crimes.

At least, if it's anything like how messed up it is in the US, I bet you can lift the carpet under any type of crime and find serious flaws in how prosecutions are handled.

This isn't a call to inaction. To the contrary, if problems found in one spot are discovered and acted on there can be benefits to the justice system overall.
Yes gnome, it does cover other crimes as well in the UK, see 2nd link.

The thing about false rape accusations is the accuser is protected by rape shield laws...
Dozens of cases have collapsed in the past three years because of serious police failings over the way they handle evidence, according to an inspection report obtained by The Times.

In one case, a man accused of robbery spent six months in jail before a prosecutor found evidence confirming that he had been robbed by the “victim”, who was a violent drug dealer.
The thing about false rape accusations is the accuser is protected by rape shield laws...
When that is the case you get shit like this!
TWISTED LIAR CAGED ‘Attention-seeking’ woman cost taxpayers £900,000 after falsely accusing 15 men of rape after lies exposed
A SERIAL rape accuser who claimed she had been sexually assaulted by 15 men in three years has today been jailed after her sick lies were finally exposed.

A judge slammed Jemma Beale as a "convincing liar" and "manipulative" while sentencing her to ten years behind bars.
Good riddance, but how many more are out there?

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Here is another rant.

People are animals. You want to understand human concerns? Study animal behavior.

Humans will evince the behaviors that they are rewarded for.
Like a rat.

If cops are rewarded for arrests, you will get arrests
If prosecutors are rewarded for convictions, you will get convictions.

Believing in any other outcome is just stupid.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Meanwhile back in the UK

Scotland Yard reviews all ongoing rape cases after second trial involving same officer collapses as 'evidence withheld'
cotland Yard has announced a ­review of all current rape and sex abuse investigations after a second trial collapsed in less than a week amid claims that police withheld crucial evidence.

Isaac Itiary, 25, had been charged with the rape of a child, but the case was thrown out on Tuesday after concerns were raised over the failure of detectives to disclose vital material to prosecutors and the defence.

Just days ago, 22-year-old Liam Allan had his case thrown out when it emerged police had failed to disclose thousands of text messages that would have proved his innocence.
It has since emerged that it was the same Scotland Yard detective who had worked on both cases. Detective Constable Mark Azariah, 37, who works on the Met’s specialist rape and sex abuse unit, is still on full active duty.
Introducing....

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Fears 30 more rape cases could collapse as Scotland Yard launches review into evidence mistakes

And it keeps on going....
Mr Smith said: "The review is into all current investigations where someone has been charged. Thirty cases that are about to go to trial and they are our priority."

It comes amid warnings that police are making basic errors in their desperation to improve conviction rates in sex abuse cases. Currently, 11.2 percent of rape allegations result in a conviction.
How about the poor bastards who may have already been sent to prison?

Any possibility some of them were railroaded?
“They [police and prosecutors] need to change practice and ensure full disclosure is given at the earliest possible moment.

"I have a suspicion there is a desire to ensure that the number of convictions increases.”
Ya think?

And lest we forget, it was a NEW prosecutor who turned over this evidence to the defense (see link). Liam had been out on bail for approximately two years.

This strongly implies that the OLD prosecutor KNEW about this evidence and may have chosen to deliberately withhold it.

Yes, Detective Contable Mark Azariah (still on active duty btw) was probably largely responsible, but I doubt he was the only one involved.

Edited to correct link.