FakeNews Ongoing

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: FakeNews Ongoing

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm

WildCat wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Absolutely, you quoted it yourself. Please read it again.
I did. Perhaps you can help me out and name the White House official saying the word "impossible".

If such a person exists you'll have no problem producing the evidence. But we know it's not Pottinger because he said no such thing.
Duh, it's a paraphrase, which means not a verbatim quote. :roll: The word was not said but implied and the official was not named in the story because that's the terms he set. And it isn't a "leak" but a briefing on background.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Duh, it's a paraphrase, which means not a verbatim quote. :roll: The word was not said but implied and the official was not named in the story because that's the terms he set. And it isn't a "leak" but a briefing on background.
Nothing in Pottinger's statement implies "impossible".

No matter how you spin it there was no White House official who said the Trump-Kim summit was impossible. Do you see how desperate you're getting when you have to resort to an incredibly subjective "he implied it" as your evidence?

"Coach, you're down by 3 runs, can you win this game?"

"Well it's the bottom of the 9th, so..."

Did the coach imply it's impossible to win the game?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:54 am

It was obvious the Pottinger thing was them trying to cover their ass after talking out of it.

their secret source was actually a public one? wha? shut da fuck up

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 am

There was an NYT editorial today about Trump retailing crazy conspiracy theories.

Well he certainly has in the past, but it turns out this one (some particular detail of "spygate") was recently reported as fact by the NYT.

I'll track down references later if I get around to it.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Pope likens 'fake news' to serpent in Garden of Eden
Pope Francis is denouncing "fake news" as evil and urging journalists to make it their mission to search for the truth.

After a week in which Francis faced unprecedented bad press during his South American tour, the Pope released his annual social communications message Wednesday and dedicated this year to "fake news and journalism for peace."

Francis writes that the first fake news dates from the biblical beginning of time, when Eve was tempted to take an apple from the Garden of Eden based on disinformation from the serpent.

"The strategy of this skilled 'Father of Lies' is precisely mimicry, that sly and dangerous form of seduction that worms its way into the heart with false and alluring arguments," Francis said of the snake.
Go get 'em Francis!
Then Skank Of America could start in...

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 am

Skeeve wrote:Pope likens 'fake news' to serpent in Garden of Eden
Pope Francis is denouncing "fake news" as evil and urging journalists to make it their mission to search for the truth.

After a week in which Francis faced unprecedented bad press during his South American tour, the Pope released his annual social communications message Wednesday and dedicated this year to "fake news and journalism for peace."

Francis writes that the first fake news dates from the biblical beginning of time, when Eve was tempted to take an apple from the Garden of Eden based on disinformation from the serpent.

"The strategy of this skilled 'Father of Lies' is precisely mimicry, that sly and dangerous form of seduction that worms its way into the heart with false and alluring arguments," Francis said of the snake.
Go get 'em Francis!
Fake news is like the fake story...

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am

Cite fake news to denounce the exposure of decades of pedophilia.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Doctor X wrote:Cite fake news to denounce the exposure of decades of pedophilia.

--J.D.
Those priests were injecting the altar boys with the Holy Ghost, using their penises. You just don't understand.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 am

Skeeve wrote:
[snip]
Go get 'em Francis!
He's an expert on the matter: 2000 years of practice. :mrgreen:

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:26 am

Max Greenwood at The Hill doesn't know what sarcasm is, reports it as actual advice: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/39111 ... ittle-itsy

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 am

When you are punked by Sean Hannity. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:13 pm

The New York Times wants to bury a reporting scandal -- and other examples of media madness
Government documents were leaked to the press. A reporter’s communications were seized by the government without her knowing about it. And a former Senate aide was charged with “lying repeatedly to investigators about his contacts with three reporters.”

It sounds like the makings of the next Hollywood production about the news media’s war against President Trump. There’s only one problem. The reporter wasn’t just involved with her stories. She was involved for three years with the man the feds charged.

The man is James A. Wolfe, the Senate Intelligence Committee’s director of security for nearly 30 years – an important figure for a young journalist to befriend.

Wolfe and Times reporter Ali Watkins “exchanged tens of thousands of electronic communications, often including daily texts and phone calls,” according to The Washington Post.

The Post described it this way: “How a reporter’s romance with her source muddies the FBI’s seizure of her records.”
Most outlets weren’t that obvious. Especially The Times. Here are just a few of its headline choices: “Press Groups Criticize the Seizing of a Times Reporter’s Records.” Or “Times Says Justice Seized Reporter's Email, Phone Records.” Perhaps, even, “Former U.S. Senate Staffer Charged With Lying to FBI Over Contacts With Media.”

Notice the difference? The Times practices the CYA strategy known as “hide in plain sight.” It addresses the issue, but not until several paragraphs into the story, where only true news junkies read. A couple of those stories were written by The Associated Press and Reuters. In the Times version, we don’t learn until the seventh paragraph that “She and Mr. Wolfe had been in a three-year relationship.”

But there’s more.
Just stuff about 'journalistic ethics'...

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Ye Olde shotgun technique by PBS FakeNews

Bunch of seditious hicks. Ali Watson, PBS, etc. SAD

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:49 pm

gnome wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
gnome wrote:...and now we have the White House doubling down on the terminology.

whitehouse.gov: What You Need To Know About The Violent Animals Of MS-13
Am I overreacting myself? Because I can't say I like the pattern of identifying a particular enemy and dehumanizing them. Sounds a little familiar. Sure, it's not all the illegal immigrants. Some of them, I assume, are good people.
The article you've linked lists rape, torture, and murder. What parts of that would you like to humanize?
They are all too human. But you're falling victim to the sleight of hand--the rationale being built has hidden payloads, made attractive because of how horrible the described target is. 1 - providing a boogeyman. 2 - creating guilt by association with a larger and unpopular group. 3 - promoting the "nonhuman" narrative, which would sow a willingness to accept subhuman treatment, even though we have Constitutional principles limiting how cruelly we treat criminals.

It seems pretty clear to me.
99 MS-13 Gang Members Arrested – All Entered US as ‘Unaccompanied Minors
Nearly 100 members of the notoriously violent MS-13 street gang were among the young immigrants admitted into the U.S. under the classification of “unaccompanied minor” during the past 11 months, according to recent government data.
“Ninety-nine individuals arrested during this operation crossed the border as unaccompanied minors, all of which were confirmed as MS-13 gang members,” the ICE statement read.
Sounds like a success with its own built-in flame...

So refresh my memory, what is MS-13 again?
MS-13 Resurgence: Immigration Enforcement Needed to Take Back Our Streets
The Trump administration has declared war on MS-13, the notoriously brutal gang based in El Salvador.
The proliferation of sanctuary policies that interfere with cooperation between state and local law enforcement agencies threatens to hamper efforts to stifle MS-13 activity. The federal government must take steps to clarify how federal law permits such cooperation and also must set up consequences for those jurisdictions and officials who impose sanctuary policies.

Key findings:
We found 506 MS-13 members arrested or charged with crimes that were reported in 22 states. The most cases were reported in California (92), Maryland (85), New York (80), and Virginia (63).

MS-13 crimes are not primarily petty nuisance crimes; 207 MS-13 members were charged with murder. In addition we found more than 100 accused of conspiracy/racketeering, and dozens of others for drug trafficking, sex trafficking, attempted murder, sexual assaults, and extortion.

While most of the reports of MS-13 suspects in our case set did not include information on the immigration status of the individual, we could determine that 126 of the 506 suspects (and 38 of the 207 murder suspects) were illegal aliens.

The median age of MS-13 gang members identified was 23, and suspects ranged in age from 14 to 57.

The median age of their victims was 19, and victims ranged in age from 14 to 74. Sixty of the victims were under the age of 18, including 52 of the murder victims.

120 of the 506 MS-13 suspects in our case set arrived as UACs (Unaccompanied Alien Children), including 48 of the murder suspects.

The location of these MS-13 crimes corresponds with locations of large numbers of UACs who were resettled by the federal government.
Yes, a success, a flaming success...

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Skeeve wrote:
Nearly 100 members of the notoriously violent MS-13 street gang were among the young immigrants admitted into the U.S. under the classification of “unaccompanied minor” during the past 11 months, according to recent government data.
“Ninety-nine individuals arrested during this operation crossed the border as unaccompanied minors, all of which were confirmed as MS-13 gang members,” the ICE statement read.
And that's out of about 24,000 who came during that period, which translates to a murder rate of... 412.5/100,000. About 85 times the murder rate of the USA as a whole, and that's just the ones who were caught. Remember that the next time illegal immigration advocates bullshit about how "immigrants" have lower crime rates than Americans.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Skeeve wrote:
gnome wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
gnome wrote:...and now we have the White House doubling down on the terminology.

whitehouse.gov: What You Need To Know About The Violent Animals Of MS-13
Am I overreacting myself? Because I can't say I like the pattern of identifying a particular enemy and dehumanizing them. Sounds a little familiar. Sure, it's not all the illegal immigrants. Some of them, I assume, are good people.
The article you've linked lists rape, torture, and murder. What parts of that would you like to humanize?
They are all too human. But you're falling victim to the sleight of hand--the rationale being built has hidden payloads, made attractive because of how horrible the described target is. 1 - providing a boogeyman. 2 - creating guilt by association with a larger and unpopular group. 3 - promoting the "nonhuman" narrative, which would sow a willingness to accept subhuman treatment, even though we have Constitutional principles limiting how cruelly we treat criminals.

It seems pretty clear to me.
99 MS-13 Gang Members Arrested – All Entered US as ‘Unaccompanied Minors

So refresh my memory, what is MS-13 again?
MS-13 Resurgence: Immigration Enforcement Needed to Take Back Our Streets
The Trump administration has declared war on MS-13, the notoriously brutal gang based in El Salvador.
The proliferation of sanctuary policies that interfere with cooperation between state and local law enforcement agencies threatens to hamper efforts to stifle MS-13 activity. The federal government must take steps to clarify how federal law permits such cooperation and also must set up consequences for those jurisdictions and officials who impose sanctuary policies.

Key findings:
We found 506 MS-13 members arrested or charged with crimes that were reported in 22 states. The most cases were reported in California (92), Maryland (85), New York (80), and Virginia (63).

MS-13 crimes are not primarily petty nuisance crimes; 207 MS-13 members were charged with murder. In addition we found more than 100 accused of conspiracy/racketeering, and dozens of others for drug trafficking, sex trafficking, attempted murder, sexual assaults, and extortion.

While most of the reports of MS-13 suspects in our case set did not include information on the immigration status of the individual, we could determine that 126 of the 506 suspects (and 38 of the 207 murder suspects) were illegal aliens.

The median age of MS-13 gang members identified was 23, and suspects ranged in age from 14 to 57.

The median age of their victims was 19, and victims ranged in age from 14 to 74. Sixty of the victims were under the age of 18, including 52 of the murder victims.

120 of the 506 MS-13 suspects in our case set arrived as UACs (Unaccompanied Alien Children), including 48 of the murder suspects.

The location of these MS-13 crimes corresponds with locations of large numbers of UACs who were resettled by the federal government.
Is that in some way a response to my point?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09 pm

WildCat wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
And that's out of about 24,000 who came during that period, which translates to a murder rate of... 412.5/100,000. About 85 times the murder rate of the USA as a whole, and that's just the ones who were caught. Remember that the next time illegal immigration advocates bullshit about how "immigrants" have lower crime rates than Americans.
Not sure how you arrive at that number.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:11 pm

WildCat wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
As a legal immigrant, I find the conflation of [legal] immigrants have low crime rates, with illegal or total immigrant crime rates to be particularly irritating.