FakeNews Ongoing

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: FakeNews Ongoing

Postby gnome » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 pm

This interested me--when I first started reading WC's description I thought the journalists had either perpetrated or fallen for a fraudulent reference, but this study is actually on the NEJM as a correspondence to the editor--so the error is a little more understandable, as the only indication that this isn't a fully vetted, peer reviewed publication is the small notice "To the Editor" at the top.

Why would they want to make it so easy to mistake a correspondence with one of their formal studies? I'm honestly perplexed.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Postby Giz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:45 pm

gnome wrote:
Why would they want to make it so easy to mistake a correspondence with one of their formal studies? I'm honestly perplexed.

Hmmm. Perhaps because it cousins to their world view?

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Would they eat their brand for advocation?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Postby Giz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

gnome wrote:Would they eat their brand for advocation?

Advocados are delicious.
Last edited by Giz on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Letters to the NEJM are reviewed.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 pm

Doctor X wrote:Letters to the NEJM are reviewed.

--J.D.

To what standard?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:20 am

I am not sure that I can give a satisfactory answer to that since strict anonymous peer review can be neither anonymous--the qualified reviewer will know full well who is submitting the work--and there is no real oversight or appeal against the opinions of reviewers. It is an imperfect system, but the best one can hope for. One will naturally find all sorts of complaints ranging from personal bias all the way to the conspiratorial--that a reviewer purposely delays publication of an article so he can insure his gets published first in another journal, et cetera.

With Letters to the Editor of the NEJM, as with most journals, you have two types. The first are quick and timely "I don't wike" letters or "Y U NO CITE ME" all the way to "I, too, have similar experience" letters that address specific articles published. Most of the later are not sufficiently novel or interesting to serve as a separate publication.

The second are rapid correspondence of small research not deemed sufficiently developed to justify publication as a full article. These are evaluated by the Editorial staff and whomever they wish. They are not, obviously, as strict as published articles nor are they intended to be interpreted as such. However, what they are not are "here is an interesting letter from readers."

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:43 am

So I'll need to take a closer look at the study now. If we presume it passed some kind of standards, I'm wondering if it's interpreting the 20% figure that is being done incorrectly by those citing it.
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 am

The premise of the letter is absurd on its face, that 0.0057% of gun owners are responsible for 20% of gun injuries and then magically become super-safe once the convention draws near.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:34 am

That's the part that I wonder if it's being misinterpreted. But I won't say so until I look closer.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:09 am

gnome wrote:That's the part that I wonder if it's being misinterpreted. But I won't say so until I look closer.

You misspelled "pulled out of their asses".

HTH :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 am

Right now I'm considering two possibilities--that the study reported 20% of something and the journalists are applying a significance to it that is not intended, or indeed.. the ass pull.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 am

Right now I'm considering two possibilities--that the study reported 20% of something and the journalists are applying a meaning to it that is not intended, or indeed.. the ass pull.
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Postby Giz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:09 pm

gnome wrote:Right now I'm considering two possibilities--that the study reported 20% of something and the journalists are applying a meaning to it that is not intended, or indeed.. the ass pull.

You can say that again

Carr
Title: Floor Walker

Postby Carr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:36 pm

I hope ya'll aren't going to be hard cases!
Any man who don't keep order spends a night in the box!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Russia Vetoed Romney (lol)
CHAOS in the WHITE HOUSE
Kelly Out Any Day
Tillerson Out Any Day
McMaster Out Any Day
Kuschner to be impeached/arrested
Prostitute has the dirt on RUSSHUH

It's been a FakeNews marathon all week.

Meanwhile, Democrats are doing walkouts on actual facts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/com ... _virginia/

TL;DR: virginia repub debunks the OMG ALL THE KIDS ARE BEING SHOT. He makes a correlation/causation fallacy with family structure, but he has 30 points correct Democrats refuse to get right because it undermines "the narrative". The Democrats promoted the video to show how out of touch REPUBLICANS WHO WANT KIDS TO DIE are. So they are helping the GOP appeal to second amendment voters. Lol.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:12 am

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ler-report

FakeNews again by the NYT which has now echoed out in the 1984 chamber.

President Trump asked at least two witnesses interviewed by special counsel Robert Mueller for information about what they discussed with Mueller’s team, according to The New York Times.

witnesses, witnesses to what? what crime was committed they saw??!?!

Trump also reportedly asked former chief of staff Reince Priebus during a December meeting how his interview with Mueller’s team had gone and if the investigators had been “nice.”

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

How can they report this sort of bullshit with a straight face? Im sure he asked Reince that exact thing. "how did the interview go?". So fucking what? They are trying to paint a nefarious picture around it and its bullshit.

These fucking goons will never get the hicks to trust them again.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:33 am

More FakeNews from TheHill:

"President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner did not invite the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico to meetings with top Mexican officials on Wednesday, according to a new report."

Okay, its a report, which is usually fake, but let's assume true. SCANDALOUS! RITE?

Two paragraphs below:
"Jacobson, who is among the State Department’s top Latin American experts, announced last week she would step down from her post in May after serving in the U.S. government for 31 years."

So... then whats the fucking problem? He didnt invite an outgoing bureacrat to a meeting? Yellow Fucking Journalism.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:20 pm

corplinx wrote:
witnesses, witnesses to what? what crime was committed they saw??!?!

I think you're correct that the article is overblown. This comment caught me in a pedantic mood. Witness does not mean crime. When gathering information about an event from those present, that's a witness. I don't know why to fuss over the term.
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Globalist is an alt-right anti-semitic term.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”