Impeach Trump, already!

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RCC: Act II

Re: Impeach Trump, already!

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

ed wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:So much for that emoluments clause stuff. I always thought that was pretty weak tea myself.

Judge dismisses suits claiming Trump violated emoluments clause

It sort of reminds me of various lawsuits by Birthers against Obama. They all basically got laughed out of court, because among other things, the people bringing the lawsuits didn't have standing.
Political question and standing doctrines have nothing to do with the merits of a claim.

Although this answers the above question of why the Democrats may be preparing for impeachment by promoting an expert in constitutional law.

Hmm ... so you think that their long game may be to wait till the midterms to get a majority so they can impeach?

Do you really think that they would go down that road? I don't want to sound alarmist but that could result in bloodshed.
They will never get the votes to convict unless there is an extreme sea change in opinion. The realistic political plan is to get control of the investigation as to fully develop the case and make the GOP vote against it.

If it ever gets to the point that 2/3 of the senate votes to kick him out, there won't be anything left to the Trump coalition but the extreme nutters who would have done the bloodshed thing had Clinton won in the first place.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:47 pm

They could be going for a symbolic victory in the House while knowing full well it will fail in the Senate.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm

It will not be a symbolic victory: it will be seen as the partisan butt-hurt it is absent actually finding him in bed with an under-aged cheerleader transitioning to line-backer.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:10 pm

There is no post-midterm impeachment solution that gets him out of the way more effectively than planning a better campaign. They should already be working on that.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

gnome wrote:There is no post-midterm impeachment solution that gets him out of the way more effectively than planning a better campaign. They should already be working on that.
And trust them to step on their own dicks.

Falsifiable prediction:
1- they will run an idiot like dukakis

or

2- someone so far to the left that she is coming around the other side. This will be due to the massive butt-hurt of the extreme left of the party
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 pm

They could start by not trotting out candidates Hillary could beat.

Granted, that criticism applies to both parties.

Impeachment and removal was never meant to be a way for the Current Majority to redo elections.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm

gnome wrote:They could be going for a symbolic victory in the House while knowing full well it will fail in the Senate.
It depends on what turns up once they have control of the House's investigative powers. All of this pre-supposes massive midterm losses, and the current GOP dead-enders aren't going to be as emotionally invested if it turns out that Trump is an albatross and solid evidence of impeachable crimes arises.

If things go this way it is far more likely that Trump rage-quits at some point before this gets to an actual impeachment and conviction.

Although in the unlikely event that both chambers flip, it would be interesting to see how Trump reacts to a flood of centrist friendly bills meant to troll him into stupid vetoes.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:49 am

Trump is a Trumpist. As he suggested to the Democrats, if the Houses flipped and centrist bills came his way, he would probably find a way to pretend they are following his agenda. He does not care who supports him.

The Clinton Impeachment and Nixon investigation sort of explain what really happens. Nixon broke the law. Clearly. I am sure the Democrat controlled House did not love him, but the point was enough Republicans abandoned him and let him know they would not save him in the Senate. So he had a choice: resign, or become the second President Impeached and, if he played it through, the first actually removed.

Clinton also clearly broke a law. The problem was it was not the law most expected and assume to this day he broke. Democrats worshiped him--as the hypocrisy of a number of female Democrats has been recently revealed--people did not take his sexual predation seriously, and the Republicans did not have the numbers. That being written, there was a Democratic Senator whose name escapes me who balked Democratic attempt to circumvent a Senate trial and do something else like censure him: he was impeached, and he must be tried.

The bottom line is that even amongst Bubba-Hatin' Republicans who looked upon his election like, well, Hillary looks at Trump's, there was a feeling his crime was "not that bad," right or wrong, to merit expulsion.

Compare to every other President. Dems hated Bush the Younger; I am unaware of any attempt by the Democratic-Controlled House to impeach him even in his lowest points where Cheney forgot to bury a few drums of sarin.

Same with Obama. Even with a few "Tea-Party" types who believed Obama was really from a foreign country like Detroit, I am again unaware of any attempt to impeach him even after the Republicans utterly cleaned his clock.

It would have to be a real crime. Otherwise, it just pisses off the Other Side and makes Your Side look like Raider fans.

Same thing if it was Her Turn: the Republicans would love to clog up her Agenda with House and Senate investigations. There would be a daily drip of "Anyone ELSE would be indicted for lying to the FBI" reports followed by guest shots on Fox, but unless someone presented clear evidences--thanks--of a crime, it would be better for the Republicans to just keep beating her with a stick, winning the mid-terms, and making her a one-term President.

Same with the Dems.

Or as a Humble, Yet MagNIfIcent, Observer noted at the time: better to have two more years of a castrated Clinton than six of Gore.

In the rain.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 am

Maxine still on point. Go Maxine!

Maxine Waters: Time ‘to get ready for impeachment’
The Hill
SAN DIEGO — Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), who has been a leading opponent of President Trump on Capitol Hill, told thousands of Democratic activists and officials to "get ready for impeachment.”

Speaking at the California Democratic Party’s annual convention in San Diego, Waters said that she believes special counsel Robert Mueller, who’s been at the helm of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, is “getter closer” to figuring out who colluded with Russia.

"I say it is time to get ready for impeachment," Waters said to roaring applause. “I cannot wait and I’m counting on special counsel Mueller to connect the dots.”

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:03 am

Hampton, Minnesota.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Cute, but really could be any politician.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Any calls for impeachment from the right yet?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Cute, but really could be any politician.
Some presidents were broke, i.e. < million
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... _net_worth

Trump is by far the richest at 3.7 billion, followed by JFK at 1 billion and George Washington at half a billion.

Harry Truman was so poor he ate cereal with a fork to save milk.
James Garfield was so poor he fucking died.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Trump didn't go into politics to make money. He wants more power than money can buy.

Otherwise he'd have just kept donating to Hillary.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Cute, but really could be any politician.
Some presidents were broke, i.e. < million
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... _net_worth

Trump is by far the richest at 3.7 billion, followed by JFK at 1 billion and George Washington at half a billion.

Harry Truman was so poor he ate cereal with a fork to save milk.
James Garfield was so poor he fucking died.
Bill and Hillary were homeless and broke Rob, why no mention of them?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Eric Holder predicts Robert Mueller charges Trump with obstruction of justice
Washington Examiner
President Trump will face an obstruction of justice charge from special counsel Robert Mueller, former Attorney General Eric Holder predicted.

“You technically have an obstruction of justice case that already exists,” Holder, who served under then-President Obama, said on HBO’s "Real Time with Bill Maher." "I've known Bob Mueller for 20, 30 years; my guess is he's just trying to make the case as good as he possibly can. So, I think that we have to be patient in that regard.”

If almost anyone else had said it, I'd just shrug it off as wishful thinking, but Holder possibly has inside dope.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 am

No worries: When WC gets elected POTUS, he will undoubtedly pardon Teh Orange Fucktard in exchange for a night of clumsy, unrewarding passion with Iwanka in the trunk of the Presidential Limo.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 am

WC?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 am

WC=Wildcat.

Do try to pay attention! It's not terribly difficult!!11Eleventy :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Maxine is still on the job. :)

Maxine Waters: Stormy Daniels will 'get' Trump if Mueller investigation doesn't
The Hill

I hear Stormy Daniels is Godfrey Daniels' great-granddaughter. 8)