Im Osten nichts Neues

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: Im Osten nichts Neues

Postby Witness » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 am

Bloomberg wrote:11 Saudi Princes Sent to Maximum-Security Prison After Protesting Utility Bills

Saudi authorities made a fresh round of arrests of royal-family members as a group of princes staged a palace protest in the capital over the non-payment of their electricity and water bills.

Security services on Thursday arrested the 11 princes after they refused to leave Qasr Al-Hokm in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia’s Attorney General, Sheikh Saud Al Mojeb, said in an emailed statement. The princes, who objected to a decree that ordered the state to stop paying their utility bills, will be held at al-Ha’er prison pending their trial, Al Mojeb said.

“No one is above the law in Saudi Arabia, everyone is equal and is treated the same as others,” Al Mojeb said. “Any person, regardless of their status or position, will be held accountable should they decide not to follow the rules and regulations of the state.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-06/saudi-arabia-arrests-11-princes-protesting-over-bills-okaz-says

Having to pay? Now, that's cruel! :twisted:

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:23 am

Witness wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Another misguided attempt at looking like white folks?
Don't think so, it's akin to what we had pre industrial revolution (ladies wearing masks when venturing outside, &c.).

It's all over Asia. Some women in Japan (especially middle-aged to older women it seems) go to considerable lengths to protect their fair complexion. However, I never saw the same thing among men though (maybe some recently, but not traditionally).

Masks, UV-blocking sun visors, parasols (higasa)

I've heard of butthole lightening before, but never penis whitening.

Pretty sure this was a thing even before contact with Europeans.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:40 am

Anaxagoras wrote:butthole lightening
:shock:

Doesn't seem to be a thing in Japanese erotic literature. Must brush up… :mrgreen:

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:46 am

BBC wrote:Iran bans English from being taught in primary schools

Iran has banned teaching the English language in primary schools, calling the subject a "cultural invasion".

The education ministry "envisages strengthening Persian language skills and Iranian Islamic culture of pupils at the primary school stage", its secretary told state media.

Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has previously expressed concern about the teaching of English.

It is seen as an important skill by many Iranians and is widely studied.

English is a foreign language option for many at secondary level, which begins at the age of 12, but its popularity has led to classes being offered by some schools much earlier.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42610755

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:11 am

Witness wrote:

Doesn't seem to be a thing in Japanese erotic literature. Must brush up… :mrgreen:

:oops: I didn't mean to suggest that was a Japanese thing, just that I've heard of it. Sloppy editing.

I meant that "fair skin" was probably valued in Asia even before widespread contact with Europeans.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Witness wrote:

:oops: I didn't mean to suggest that was a Japanese thing, just that I've heard of it. Sloppy editing.

I meant that "fair skin" was probably valued in Asia even before widespread contact with Europeans.

Fair skin was also valued in Europe before Coco Chanel (or so the legend goes).
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:49 am

Be careful or you may make your brown eye blue.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 am

Turkmenistan (mostly desert, but natural gas & oil):

Its president-dictator:

Who thinks that white brings good luck:
'Bad Luck' For Black Car Owners In Turkmen Capital

Turkmenistan's president, Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov, thinks white cars bring good fortune. And that's bad luck for owners of black cars in the capital.

For weeks, officials in Ashgabat have been impounding black vehicles without warning, wreaking havoc for owners who need special permission for repainting and then reregistering their cars.

While there don't appear to have been any official announcements, Berdymukhammedov has expressed frustration at swank black cars in the capital, known as the "city of white marble," and motorists told RFE/RL that the traffic stops and towing of parked dark cars began late last month.

The campaign is also foisting unforeseen costs on residents in a city where the State Statistics Committee puts the average monthly wage at under 1,200 manats, roughly $300 at the government-established exchange rate or less than $200 per month at the black-market rate that many are forced to use.

"When I came to the auto shop, I was told that the repainting would cost 7,000 manats but that in a week the price would rise to 11,000 manats," one car owner who requested that his name not be published told RFE/RL.

"My salary is 1,000 manats, so even if I don't spend any money anywhere, I will be forced to hand over pretty much my entire annual salary just to repaint,” he added, noting that his car had already been impounded.

It's not the first time Berdymukhammedov, who has tolerated little dissent since coming to power after the death of autocrat Saparmurat Niyazov in 2006, and his administration have taken aim at black cars.

In 2015, Berdymukhammedov ordered customs officials to halt all imports of black cars after he began using a convoy of white vehicles when traveling to public events.
More curious details.

He also banned women from driving some weeks ago, as they "cause most accidents".

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:41 am

Witness wrote:Its president-dictator:

Interesting choice of photos. Guilt by association?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... Obamas.jpg

FWIW:
Description
English: President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama pose for a photo during a reception at the Metropolitan Museum in New York with Gurbanguly Berdimuhammedov of Turkmenistan.
Date 23 September 2009
Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson

Sometimes in the name of diplomacy our leaders meet with the leaders of other countries and may even pose for a photo with them. Doesn't necessarily mean they support those people.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Sometimes in the name of diplomacy our leaders meet with the leaders of other countries and may even pose for a photo with them. Doesn't necessarily mean they support those people.
Rats! I had always thought they went directly at each other's throats. :|

Giz

Postby Giz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Witness wrote:Its president-dictator:

Interesting choice of photos. Guilt by association?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... Obamas.jpg

FWIW:
Description
English: President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama pose for a photo during a reception at the Metropolitan Museum in New York with Gurbanguly Berdimuhammedov of Turkmenistan.
Date 23 September 2009
Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson

Sometimes in the name of diplomacy our leaders meet with the leaders of other countries and may even pose for a photo with them. Doesn't necessarily mean they support those people.

Call that diplomacy? They didnt even give him a box to stand on.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 pm

why did michelle insist on wearing high heels. a personal slight?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Rob Lister wrote:why did michelle insist on wearing high heels. a personal slight?

Are you kidding?

Gurbanguly insisted. :mrgreen:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Are you saying he likes the BBP?

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Are you saying he likes the BBP?

Blood borne pathogen? :?

:P

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 am

Newsweek wrote:Egypt Could Make Atheism Illegal Amid Harsh Crackdown on Nonbelievers

Lawmakers in Egypt are seriously considering passing a law that would make atheism illegal.

Blasphemy is already illegal in Egypt, and people are frequently arrested for insulting or defaming religion under the country’s strict laws. The newly proposed rule would make it illegal for people not to believe in God, even if they don’t talk about it.

"The phenomenon [of atheism] is being promoted in society as freedom of belief, when this is totally wrong," Amro Hamroush, head of Egypt’s Parliament’s committee on religion, said when he introduced the bill in late December.

“[Atheism] must be criminalized and categorized as contempt of religion because atheists have no doctrine and try to insult the Abrahamic religions,” he wrote in the local daily paper Al-Shorouq.

On Thursday, the Committee on Religion announced it would prepare an explanatory note on the draft law in the coming days. It is unclear how authorities would determine who is an atheist if the person does not speak about it.

Egypt’s highest Islamic religious organization, Al-Azhar, supports the proposed law, and its top officials said it would work to punish those who had been “seduced” by atheism.
http://www.newsweek.com/egypt-atheism-illegal-crackdown-non-believers-religion-islam-772471

Regularly coming up with creative ways to make life shittier. :roll:

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 am

Al Jazeera wrote:UAE 'annexes Oman territory' on new Louvre museum map

A new map published by the United Arab Emirates' Louvre Abu Dhabi Museum appears to have removed the border demarcation between UAE and the Omani enclave of Musandam, in addition to removing Qatar.

It is the second time in a week that a map by the museum created controversy by reshaping the geography of the Arabian Peninsula after a previous map omitted the entire State of Qatar.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/01/uae-annexes-oman-territory-louvre-museum-map-180122060843418.html

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Didn't know the Louvre was a franchise outfit.

That's more interesting to me than Oman monkeying with their map.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:36 pm

↑ That's somewhere in the thread.

Morocco World News wrote:After Building New AU Headquarters, China Spies on Addis Ababa Facility

Rabat – In 2012, the Chinese government “graciously offered” African States a gift and constructed the African Union’s headquarters in Addis Ababa. The act of soft diplomacy proved to be a rather self-serving maneuver to spy on the activities and discussions being conducted by leaders of the exclusive continental group.

In Addis Ababa, ministers and heads of states meet twice a year to discuss major continental issues. While strict security measures give the impression that that building is closely monitored and secured, an unseen security threat was present from 2012 until 2017. The threat was from none other than those who built the headquarters: the Chinese. An investigation conducted by “Le Monde Afrique” exposed Chinese espionage efforts.

According to the report, for five years, between midnight and 2 a.m., computer servers were reaching a peak in data transfer activity. A computer scientist noticed the oddity of the situation. The organization’s technical staff later discovered that the AU servers were all connected to servers located in Shanghai.

Every night, the secrets of the AU were being stored more than 8,000 km away by what was thought to be a diplomatic ally of Africa.
https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2018/01/239343/african-union-china-spies-addis-ababa/

Original Le Monde article (French): http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/article/2018/01/26/a-addis-abeba-le-siege-de-l-union-africaine-espionne-par-les-chinois_5247521_3212.html

Timeo Sinenses et dona ferentes… :lmao:

Giz

Postby Giz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 pm

I am shocked, shocked... that the AU has secrets worth stealing.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”