We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

James Watson (yes that one) gets a new gig

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:28 pm

:coolspecs:

DNA Nobel Laureate James Watson Joins Shenzhen Research Center
China Money Network
James Watson, the Nobel laureate who co-discovered the structure of DNA, has thrown his support behind a life science research center being established by the Shenzhen city government. In fact, the 90-year-old scientist will work at the facility, according to Chinese media.

Located in the Baguang area of Shenzhen, the research center will study cancers and genes and employ more than 1,000 scientists, including Watson, who will head the research teams. Information on the scope and length of his engagement was not available.

Watsons, who will turn 90 next month, won a Nobel Prize in 1962 following his discovery of the structure of DNA with Francis Crick in 1953. Watson personally chose the location of the Shenzhen lab last year. The center will be modeled after the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in the U.S. where Watson worked as a director earlier in his career. He participated in the groundbreaking of the new facility on Friday.

"I’m very delighted to attend the groundbreaking ceremony of this new lab, where we will witness the development of new technologies and new medicine,” said Watson during the launching ceremony. "Together, I hope that we can develop more effective medicine and build more high-end hospitals to improve the treatment environment for patients."

The city of Shenzhen spends over 4% of its GDP on research and development, double the mainland average. Companies in Shenzhen have in recent years filed more international patents than those in France or Britain, according to media. Shenzhen is home to Chinese tech giant Tencent Inc. and unicorns such as drone maker DJI, and rollable display company Royole.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Re: James Watson (yes that one) gets a new gig

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm

He only discovered DNA.

On the other hand, he has said some politically incorrect things. Also he's over 90.

I do think that a new era in genetic research is dawning though, with Crispr and all that. It's bound to lead to some interesting things.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Very good chance, if they're just now breaking ground, that he'll have stuffed it before the place opens.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:14 pm

sparks wrote:Very good chance, if they're just now breaking ground, that he'll have stuffed it before the place opens.
Quite all right.

He gets a job for life, they get the publicity.

And the folks who tried to excommunicate him get the finger. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale