Survive a black hole! But watch out for elephants

We are the Borg.
gnome

Survive a black hole! But watch out for elephants

Postby gnome » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Futurism: How to Survive a Black Hole

Abby Norman wrote:But at the edge of the Cauchy horizon, on the brink of singularity, the laws of physics don’t apply. So, not only do we have no idea might be lurking within, we also can’t make any predictions.

“[The singularity] could emit elephants, planets, radiation – basically anything,” Hintz said to New Scientist, which means that even if gravity doesn’t tear you limb from limb, you could be taken out by an elephant hurtling toward you at warp speed.

:doglaugh:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Survive a black hole! But watch out for elephants

Postby sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Ya gotta just love these assholes when they say shit like that cause it's illegal and such to simply put them out of our misery via high velocity lead poisoning.

"But since the laws of Physics breakdown, a child loses a tooth and someone's Mom has to take it up the butt."

"Oh, and every time a bell rings, an angel gets it's gender neutral wings."
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm

So, that must be where all the leprechauns and unicorns went.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Perhaps. Yet, you've offered no pwoofs and evidences that the twoof is a thing we should buy into and so on...!!11Eleventy

And undoubtedly the Earth is flat. Any damned fool can see that. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Teh twoof is whatevr u believez!!!111!1!!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Laws of physics don't break down, it's merely that there are conditions where we don't know what they are.

But you can't tell that to the rubes, so throw 'em a few elephants. :mrgreen:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am

How to survive being sucked into a black hole, according to Futurism:

1. Make it through the Event Horizon
2. Approach the Cauchy Horizon really fast
3. Unknown Physical Laws
4. ????
5. Watch out for elephants!
6. PROFIT!!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:27 am

That sounds pretty silly.

Here's some interesting videos about black holes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-P5IFTqB98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWO-cvGETRQ

The second one is maybe the more interesting of the two.

Apparently it is a "law of physics" that information cannot be destroyed.

So if you take a book, for example, and throw it into an incinerator and burn it until there is nothing left but ash; and then you take that ash and whack it with a hammer until there is nothing left but a fine powder; even then, the "information" in the book still exists. (Honestly, I don't really understand it myself, but that's what they say.) This would still be true even if you throw it into the sun and the sun later explodes in a supernova. Somehow the "information" in the book survives somewhere.

The question then becomes, does this still hold true when you throw a book into a black hole? The second of the two videos tackles that question.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:36 am

Anaxagoras wrote:So if you take a book, for example, and throw it into an incinerator and burn it until there is nothing left but ash; and then you take that ash and whack it with a hammer until there is nothing left but a fine powder; even then, the "information" in the book still exists. (Honestly, I don't really understand it myself, but that's what they say.) This would still be true even if you throw it into the sun and the sun later explodes in a supernova. Somehow the "information" in the book survives somewhere.

I think it just clicked for me. Just as entropy is an unstoppable accumulation of energy that can't be used... there may be information that can't be used, even if it technically still exists.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 am

You never know what you will find . . .

. . . *snicker! snicker!* . . .

in Your Mom's Hole!!!111!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”