Such a great idea for a high school science fair project, and meanies ruined it.

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Such a great idea for a high school science fair project, and meanies ruined it.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 am

:roll:

High school science fair project questioning African American intelligence sparks outrage
Sacramento Bee

Students, parents and staff at C.K. McClatchy High School are upset over a science fair project by a student in its elite magnet program that questioned whether certain races of people lack the intelligence to handle the program’s academically challenging coursework.

Some of those outraged by the racially charged project say it points to a larger problem: the lack of ethnic diversity in the school’s elite HISP program.

The project that started the controversy was titled “Race and IQ.” It raised the hypothesis: “If the average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and Hispanics are lower than the average IQs of non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians, then the racial disproportionality in (HISP) is justified.”

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

shemp
Title: gnat

Re: Such a great idea for a high school science fair project, and meanies ruined it.

Postby shemp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 pm

I think the outrage should be over how incredibly cheesy the project is. A few strips of paper with questions taped onto construction paper? That's a science fair project in an elite magnet program? I think some people need to question just how good that magnet program is and how did this kid get into it.

This has NOTHING to do with the content of the project. I think it is perfectly reasonable to investigate such questions in a proper scientific manner, without being shouted down and banned. But this kid's project is just pure laziness and shit.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Abdul Alhazred

Re: Such a great idea for a high school science fair project, and meanies ruined it.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:05 pm

You mean something more like this? 8)

shemp

Postby shemp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm

It's B.S., but at least she put in some effort. I'd give her a "C".

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote::roll:

High school science fair project questioning African American intelligence sparks outrage
Sacramento Bee

Students, parents and staff at C.K. McClatchy High School are upset over a science fair project by a student in its elite magnet program that questioned whether certain races of people lack the intelligence to handle the program’s academically challenging coursework.

Some of those outraged by the racially charged project say it points to a larger problem: the lack of ethnic diversity in the school’s elite HISP program.

The project that started the controversy was titled “Race and IQ.” It raised the hypothesis: “If the average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and Hispanics are lower than the average IQs of non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians, then the racial disproportionality in (HISP) is justified.”

Wouldn't you have to establish a correlation between IQ scores and fitness for HISP content first?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Not me. :)

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Kid was probably desperate. Probably thought he could draw attention away from his failure to work on his science project all year by sparking a race war that would result in the school being burned down.

Didn'the we all have ideas like that in middle school?
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 am

shemp wrote:I think it is perfectly reasonable to investigate such questions in a proper scientific manner, without being shouted down and banned. But this kid's project is just pure laziness and shit.

I don't care how much effort he put into it, it was always going to be problematic. It's going to make people angry no matter what. Imagine a school science "project" questioning whether the Holocaust really happened. I don't care how much time and effort you put into that project trying to prove that the Holocaust wasn't real, it's not going to go over well.

The controversial project also included a bibliography and quotes from five books, one a text from 1904 called “The Essential Kafir” that argued South African blacks were intellectually inferior to whites.

I think this student started out with a conclusion and then tried to find arguments and facts to back up his conclusion. Because you could find lots of other books that argue against those books, like The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould. Did he bother to investigate those counterarguments or just look for things that confirmed what he was trying to prove?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shemp

Postby shemp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
shemp wrote:I think it is perfectly reasonable to investigate such questions in a proper scientific manner, without being shouted down and banned. But this kid's project is just pure laziness and shit.

I don't care how much effort he put into it, it was always going to be problematic. It's going to make people angry no matter what. Imagine a school science "project" questioning whether the Holocaust really happened. I don't care how much time and effort you put into that project trying to prove that the Holocaust wasn't real, it's not going to go over well.

Isn't it better to discuss the question and address it with facts and science than to just ban it? I don't see that anyone made any effort to try to refute the kid's poor arguments. This could be an opportunity to make it clear to him and to other students why he's wrong. For example, they could assign this question to students to investigate and to write and present papers.

When someone makes baseless assertions, use them as teaching opportunities.

Anaxagoras wrote:
The controversial project also included a bibliography and quotes from five books, one a text from 1904 called “The Essential Kafir” that argued South African blacks were intellectually inferior to whites.

I think this student started out with a conclusion and then tried to find arguments and facts to back up his conclusion. Because you could find lots of other books that argue against those books, like The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould. Did he bother to investigate those counterarguments or just look for things that confirmed what he was trying to prove?

I agree. I think the kid may even have been looking for controversy. He certainly didn't bother to do any serious research.

I'd also like to point out that his original question was, “If the average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and Hispanics are lower than the average IQs of non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians, then the racial disproportionality in (HISP) is justified.” If he really wanted to research this, he should not only be researching the relationship between race and intelligence, but also the question of whether or not this racial disproportionality in HISP is due to this or other factors, and the question of whether this disproportionality is justified even if there is a correlation between race and intelligence.

I think the kid is just a little racist shit who's looking to cause trouble. :D

shemp

Postby shemp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 am

Bruce wrote:Kid was probably desperate. Probably thought he could draw attention away from his failure to work on his science project all year by sparking a race war that would result in the school being burned down.

Didn'the we all have ideas like that in middle school?

No. But this gives us some insight into your childhood. :D

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 am

shemp wrote:Isn't it better to discuss the question and address it with facts and science than to just ban it? I don't see that anyone made any effort to try to refute the kid's poor arguments. This could be an opportunity to make it clear to him and to other students why he's wrong. For example, they could assign this question to students to investigate and to write and present papers.

This kid will just dismiss the teachers as snowflake cucks. You can't reach these people.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

shemp

Postby shemp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:09 am

Mentat wrote:
shemp wrote:Isn't it better to discuss the question and address it with facts and science than to just ban it? I don't see that anyone made any effort to try to refute the kid's poor arguments. This could be an opportunity to make it clear to him and to other students why he's wrong. For example, they could assign this question to students to investigate and to write and present papers.

This kid will just dismiss the teachers as snowflake cucks. You can't reach these people.

Then this is an opportunity for the kid's next science project, titled "Are Teachers Snowflake Cucks?", which I think needs some serious scientific investigation.

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”