New Battery

We are the Borg.
Witness

New Battery

Postby Witness » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 am

U Texas wrote:Lithium-Ion Battery Inventor Introduces New Technology for Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

AUSTIN, Texas — A team of engineers led by 94-year-old John Goodenough, professor in the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin and co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery, has developed the first all-solid-state battery cells that could lead to safer, faster-charging, longer-lasting rechargeable batteries for handheld mobile devices, electric cars and stationary energy storage.

Goodenough’s latest breakthrough, completed with Cockrell School senior research fellow Maria Helena Braga, is a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is noncombustible and has a long cycle life (battery life) with a high volumetric energy density and fast rates of charge and discharge. The engineers describe their new technology in a recent paper published in the journal Energy & Environmental Science.

“Cost, safety, energy density, rates of charge and discharge and cycle life are critical for battery-driven cars to be more widely adopted. We believe our discovery solves many of the problems that are inherent in today’s batteries,” Goodenough said.

The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries. A battery cell’s energy density gives an electric vehicle its driving range, so a higher energy density means that a car can drive more miles between charges. The UT Austin battery formulation also allows for a greater number of charging and discharging cycles, which equates to longer-lasting batteries, as well as a faster rate of recharge (minutes rather than hours).
https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

Anaxagoras

Re: New Battery

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am

"John Goodenough"
Is that a real name?
I've heard the surname "Best" before, but "Goodenough" sounds kind of meh.

As for the battery, sounds promising. What's the catch? There always seems to be a catch, some reason why it won't really catch on.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:"John Goodenough"
Is that a real name?

As for the battery, sounds promising. What's the catch? There always seems to be a catch, some reason why it won't really catch on.

The oil industry buys the patents and buries them. :) Or they find out that manufacturing them in the millions is hard.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:32 am

Anaxagoras wrote:"John Goodenough"
Is that a real name?
Last name: Goodenough

This is an English medieval nickname surname. It has two possible origins. The first is from the perpetual use by the nameholder of the phrase 'good-enough', to the point where his peer group called him by it, and the second explanation and most likely explanation is that it described a 'good lad,' one who was good enough at what he did. Nicknames represent one of the largest groups of name origins, and some etymologists claim that all names were originally nicknames of a sort. What is certain is that many surnames are associated with physical characteristics or attitudes. The derivation of this name is from the pre 7th century Olde English words 'god genoh' with 'god' meaning good, a simplistic explanation as to how religion was associated with godliness and goodness. Early examples of the surname recordings include Roger Godecnaue in the cartularly or register of Oseney Abbey in Oxfordshire, and dated 1220, whilst Hervicus Godcnave appears in the Pipe Rolls of Northumberland in 1225. In the modern idiom, the surname is recorded as Goodenough, Goodanew, Goodnow and Goodner, with as an example that of Richard Goodenough and Sarah Harrison, who were married at Canterbury in Kent, in 1667. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Alan Godinogh. This was dated 1212, in the Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire, during the reign of King John of England, 1199 - 1216. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was sometimes known as the Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
From a commercial site, so take it with grain of salt: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Goodenough

There are ~ 2000 G. in the USA.

Anaxagoras wrote:As for the battery, sounds promising. What's the catch? There always seems to be a catch, some reason why it won't really catch on.
I've found nothing really new since February (apart from an answer to his critics), so :( . Let's wait a bit more…

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:46 pm

https://about.bnef.com/blog/goodenough- ... teries-qa/

Link to a q and a with goodenough. Nutshell ...
We’re waiting for some battery company to come along. We don’t do the development of the battery, that’s the industry’s job. We have not yet reached a licensing agreement with regard to the battery.

Q: It took 11 years for Sony to put the first lithium-ion batteries in products on the market. How long do you expect this to take?

Goodenough: If somebody is confident and really wants to move, we don’t see why it would take more than three to five years to have a good product on the market. The ideas are there, the intellectual property is there. There is an interest in solid-state batteries.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:56 pm

I doubt it will take 11 years this time. Unless there's some sort of fatal flaw they don't know about or aren't mentioning. Or it's not as good as they're claiming.

They say that it's made of cheap, abundant materials.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I doubt it will take 11 years this time. Unless there's some sort of fatal flaw they don't know about or aren't mentioning. Or it's not as good as they're claiming.

They say that it's made of cheap, abundant materials.

Turning to the skeptics, this might well be a vapor battery. Form the wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_battery#Skepticism
Skeptics are a little skeptical. It's a little like Robert W. Bussard (inventor of the Ramjet) and his work on a magnetic fusion system.

Goodenough's high reputation was enough to deter the strongest criticism however, with Daniel Steingart of Princeton University commenting, "If anyone but Goodenough published this, I would be, well, it’s hard to find a polite word.”[4] A formal comment was published by Steingart and Venkat Viswanathan from Carnegie Melon University in E&ES

His answer to those criticisms doesn't make sense [to me] either. It looks like this is an example of something that
1) works but science can't explain it, or
2) doesn't work.

I'm going with 2 for now.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Having read a little more about this, it shrikes me that this battery would be perfect for powering an EmDrive spaceship to take us on an exploration to Planet X.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:00 pm

You mean Dwarf planet X?
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 am

Rob Lister wrote:Having read a little more about this, it shrikes me that this battery would be perfect for powering an EmDrive spaceship to take us on an exploration to Planet X.

I guess I should have known. That's why my first reaction was that there must be some kind of catch.
"If something sounds too good to be true, it almost never is." A good rule of thumb for skeptics.
This one just sounded a little bit too awesome from the press release, but it appeared to be coming from a legitimate source, so I allowed myself to hope a bit.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”