The evolution of great tits in Great Britain. Yes I said Great Britain. Yes this is science.

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The evolution of great tits in Great Britain. Yes I said Great Britain. Yes this is science.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Re: The evolution of great tits in Great Britain. Yes I said Great Britain. Yes this is science.

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Reminded me of articles about recent "evolution" in Darwin's finches:
Evolution News wrote:Darwin’s Finches: The Hype Continues

[details]

Wait a minute. Average beak size increased slightly during one drought, only to return to normal after the rains return. Then average beak size decreased slightly during another drought. A region of DNA is correlated with beak size. And somehow that tells us how finches evolved in the first place?

As Winston Churchill might say, “Never in the field of science was so much based by so many on so little.”
https://evolutionnews.org/2016/04/post_44/

But British tits are famous for vandalizing milk bottles:
The Conversation wrote:Milk bottle-raiding birds pass on thieving ways to their flock

Great tits are opportunistic copycats. Entire populations can be found performing the same arbitrary behaviour simply because birds copy one another, following a fashion. And it’s this behaviour, reported in a paper published in Nature, that explains the great milk bottle raids that baffled milk drinkers in Britain almost a century ago.

Back in 1921 residents of the small town of Swaythling in Hampshire found their milk bottles vandalised on their doorsteps, the foil caps pierced. The culprits turned out to be birds of the tit family, and this milk thievery spread quickly, with people all over Europe noticing tits pecking through the foil caps of the milk bottles on their doorsteps to reach the cream underneath.
http://theconversation.com/milk-bottle- ... lock-34784

Are there still milk bottles, even in the UK?!?

And then these cute little birds can show nasty behavior:
BBC wrote:Great tits acquire taste for bats

A Hungarian cave has turned out to be a larder of highly unusual food for great tits: hibernating pipistrelle bats.

Over two winters, researchers found the birds were systematically hunting bats by sight and sound as they hibernated through the cold months.

Writing in the journal Biology Letters, the scientists say this is the first proof of bat-hunting in songbirds.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8245165.stm
Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed
:mrgreen:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: The evolution of great tits in Great Britain. Yes I said Great Britain. Yes this is science.

Post by sparks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:57 am

NSFW:
siri-recording-artists-and-groups-photo-u8.jpg
You're welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:11 am

Somebody had to. Why am I so surprised that it was sparks?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Somebody had to. Why am I so surprised that it was sparks?
And with a fake redhead. Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 pm

A: Because you didn't do it first.

and...

B: I was lazy, and sometimes the fake ones are just as much fun as the real ones.

:)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:39 pm

sparks wrote:B: I was lazy, and sometimes the fake ones are just as much fun as the real ones.

:)
Yet they neither smell nor taste like the genuine article. Image