Humans Need Not Apply

We are the Borg.
gnome

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by gnome » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm

More moderately, though disaster makes good dystopian TV, I'm also interested in examples where the pace of technology or some revolutionary advancement at least caused some significant strife before we adapted.

Hey, this is great! Wheeeee!
Well, shit.
Ok, new rule, everybody!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

gnome wrote:More moderately, though disaster makes good dystopian TV, I'm also interested in examples where the pace of technology or some revolutionary advancement at least caused some significant strife before we adapted.

Hey, this is great! Wheeeee!
Well, shit.
Ok, new rule, everybody!
The Romans, Caesar. Where should we start?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Lead in the aqueducts would probably be a pretty good example.

Hell, lead in our own infrastructure was probably doing a number on us for a while. I've heard speculation that tackling that may have contributed to declining crime rates 20 years later (in the 90s). Then again, lots of people have theories about that.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Hmmm. She sounds like a techno-optimist.
When has it ever failed us?
World war 1 maybe. Chemical weapons. Was that a positive advancement for humanity?
That need started the chemical revolution from which we got plastics.

I just made that up.

But you might like this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18543573
Chemical Weapons in the Civil War.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am

William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm

"life-like"

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 am

'Life-like' is a reach: Movement is stiff not fluid, and why can't these nerds concoct a perfect eyelid blink? And what's with the serious lack of proper lip movement when forming words?

May achieve consciousness? In a pigs eye.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 am

I agree it will never achieve consciousness, but who needs consciousness in a news reader?

:BigGrin3:

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:56 pm

True; hard to blame the anchorrobot for fake news if they're just reading the copy.
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:54 am

AI muzak:
The Verge wrote:Musician Taryn Southern on composing her new album entirely with AI

If you heard Taryn Southern’s new single “Break Free” on the radio, you’d probably just keep driving or grocery shopping, or doing whatever you do in places that still have radios playing. The song is a big, moody ballad — the kind that might play during the climax of a Steven Spielberg movie. “Break Free” wasn’t composed by a John Williams copycat, but by artificial intelligence. The song is not a fluke or a novelty for Southern either; she’s using artificial intelligence platforms to create an entire album, called I AM AI. It’s the first LP to be entirely composed and produced with AI.

Southern used an open source AI platform called Amper Music to create the stems of “Break Free.” For each track, she plugs in genre, the instruments she wants to use, and beats per minute. In return, Amper churns out disjointed verses that can be rearranged into a song, and layered beneath Southern’s vocals.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/27/1619 ... -interview

Other examples:
https://soundcloud.com/user-547260463/daddys-car (The soundcloud thingy doesn't seem to work for me.)
Composed with Flow Machines and 45 songs of The Beatles
https://soundcloud.com/user-547260463/mrshadow-24-441
Composed with Flow Machines and 419 american standards, by Benoit Carré
Guardian article: AI and music: will we be slaves to the algorithm?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Enjoy the look of a woman's face (not you wife), but still desire to submit to the will of Allah? :Muhammad:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 pm

One day closer to Black Mirror.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 am

I, for one, welcome our Alien-Face-Grabber-Endowed Overlords.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 am

What happens when a new technology that is better for the environment also eliminates jobs?

It sucks for the guy who's out of a job, but it's great for humanity.
There are 22 massive docks at the Port of Long Beach where ships pull up to load and unload cargo. At all but one of those docks, most of the work is still done by people. The Long Beach Container Terminal, which opened in April 2016, is an exception. Here, self-driving vehicles and automated cranes do most of the work. It requires two-thirds fewer workers than traditional terminals. And that frightens the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, which controls all the jobs at the docks.

But viewed from another perspective, automation is part of the solution to one of Southern California’s most vexing environmental problems: some of the worst air pollution in the country. The ships, trains, trucks and heavy cargo-moving equipment add up to make the Ports of LA and Long Beach the largest single source of smog-forming air pollution in Southern California.

It raises the question: what happens when a new technology that can fight climate change and clean up the air also eliminates jobs? And not just any jobs, but some of the last truly well-paying blue-collar jobs in Southern California?

ILWU members receive an average salary of $155,000 a year, pay almost nothing for their health insurance, and get up to six weeks of paid vacation. But the union estimates that at the Long Beach Container Terminal, two-thirds of those jobs are gone due to automation.

"It makes me sick to my stomach," said Gary Herrera, the vice president of ILWU Local 13. "I look at this place, and I do not like what it stands for. These machines get rid of men."

He stops in front of LBCT’s 48 automated stacking cranes. They load containers onto semi-trucks that haul them out of the port to distribution warehouses. In a traditional terminal, workers operate them from booths on top, but in the LBCT, four people can control all 48 cranes at once.

“The same guy who used to drive the crane out in the yard eight hours a day is now doing it from a remote console, sipping coffee and listening to light music in air conditioning,” Anthony Otto, the LBCT's president, said in a YouTube video touting the benefits of automation. He and other LBCT staff declined to talk on the record for this story.

But they said, in a tour, that automation creates opportunities for new kinds of jobs, like mechanics to maintain the self-driving vehicles. And, they said, their robots are cleaner than the diesel fueled, human-controlled machines they’re replacing.

The Long Beach Container Terminal emits 85 percent less diesel soot, 58 percent less nitrogen oxide (a component of smog), and 33 percent less carbon dioxide than a traditional dock at the ports, according to terminal staff.

Those kinds of reductions gave Adrian Martinez, an environmental lawyer with Earthjustice, a very different take on the automated equipment at LBCT than guys like Gary Herrera. He argued these reductions are a big deal because residents in the port area have a disproportionately high cancer risk from breathing polluted air, according to local air regulators.

“It’s exciting to see zero emissions equipment actually on the terminal,” Martinez said. “Because from a basic level, we’re not going to solve the air pollution crisis in the Los Angeles area until we eliminate port and freight pollution.”

In November 2017, the Port of Long Beach and the neighboring Port of Los Angeles pledged to dramatically slash their emissions by phasing out internal combustion engines. Their goal is to replace all diesel trucks and cargo-handling equipment with zero-emissions equivalents by 2035. Usually that means electric vehicles.
Back in the terminal, Herrera glared at some of the 72 zero-emission, self-driving vehicles.

“They got rid of jobs, there’s no more drivers,” he said, looking across the fence at the little green carts. “And so this is why we’re skeptical at all when they wanna say zero emissions.”

Because of all the uncertainty, the ILWU isn’t take any chances. In September 2017, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a budget bill allocating $900 million from the sale of carbon permits under California’s cap and trade program.

Up to $140 million will be sent to the ports for clean freight and ships, but the ILWU lobbied hard to ensure that none of it could be used for automated equipment. Union workers say they aren’t against electric vehicles — they just want to be the ones driving them.
I understand why the unions are against this, but objectively if you're not in the union, you should be for it.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:

One day closer to Black Mirror.

Hidden text: Don't be nervous about the robots, be nervous about the people with the resources to build them.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 pm

William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 am

The conclusion this video keeps repeating that the mechanism behind the 'bots' is "unknowable" or "understandable" is have not been proven as fact in this video.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Grammatron wrote:The conclusion this video keeps repeating that the mechanism behind the 'bots' is "unknowable" or "understandable" is have not been proven as fact in this video.
It is a little dubious, but there are difficulties. Here's an article about the difficulty in reproducing results in computer science ...
Assuming you can get and run the original code, it still might not do what you expect. In the area of AI called machine learning, in which computers derive expertise from experience, the training data for an algorithm can influence its performance. Ke suspects that not knowing the training for the speech-recognition benchmark was what tripped up her group. "There's randomness from one run to another," she says. You can get "really, really lucky and have one run with a really good number," she adds. "That's usually what people report."
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/ ... ce-studies