United States Postal Service: What to do?

We are the Borg.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: United States Postal Service: What to do?

Post by sparks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 pm

DrMatt wrote:
sparks wrote:Aside from delivering packages which can probably be done better by the private companies, we should simply move to a web based document exchange. In other words, let the USPS die a natural death. No heroic efforts, DNR.
So proof of service of intent to sue in court will be accomplished by "I tried to e-mail them but didn't know their e-mail addresses." Or "I tried to Fedex them but Fedex said they don't serve that neighborhood."
Process servers, just like now.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:03 pm

The post office is one of the last refuges of the mythical american worker.

You get hired, you work for 40 years, you never are at risk of being let go, you can be complacent or even lazy, you retire on a good pension.

This is the bill of goods that was sold to union factory workers during a time before globalization. When they talk about "bringing back the middle class", what they really mean is "bringing back overpaid non-competitive labor through a mix of protectionism and government subsidy". It is a rejection of microeconomics and science.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:15 pm

EvilYeti wrote:
DrMatt wrote: Well, if we seriously propose to kill off the USPS, we ought to figure out how all its current use cases will be accomplished in its absence.
Exactly the way they were before there was a USPS.
:Mockering:

As it stand currently its just a means to fill my mailbox with junk.
So you have a plan to resurrect Ben Franklin to make everything right again? I know, let's reset the entire USA to 1775, that'd be great!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 pm

corplinx wrote: This is the bill of goods that was sold to union factory workers during a time before globalization. When they talk about "bringing back the middle class", what they really mean is "bringing back overpaid non-competitive labor through a mix of protectionism and government subsidy". It is a rejection of microeconomics and science.
Ah, the good ole' days, of robber-barons, fossy-jaw and child labor. Libertarian paradise!

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

DrMatt wrote: So you have a plan to resurrect Ben Franklin to make everything right again? I know, let's reset the entire USA to 1775, that'd be great!
I'm pretty sure we didn't have email in 1775.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 pm

The original idea was that the Post Office was deemed strategically necessary to the military security of the United States. Sort of like the Interstate Highway System was later.

That is started to make money sometime after the Civil War is nice, but not a pre-condition of its existence.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 am

sparks wrote:
DrMatt wrote:
sparks wrote:Aside from delivering packages which can probably be done better by the private companies, we should simply move to a web based document exchange. In other words, let the USPS die a natural death. No heroic efforts, DNR.
So proof of service of intent to sue in court will be accomplished by "I tried to e-mail them but didn't know their e-mail addresses." Or "I tried to Fedex them but Fedex said they don't serve that neighborhood."
Process servers, just like now.
Oh, okay, I'm sure they'll only cost $2.08 for certified signatures.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am

EvilYeti wrote:
DrMatt wrote: So you have a plan to resurrect Ben Franklin to make everything right again? I know, let's reset the entire USA to 1775, that'd be great!
I'm pretty sure we didn't have email in 1775.
No, we had the USPS in 1775, and we didn't even have a country! Thank you very much for playing.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The original idea was that the Post Office was deemed strategically necessary to the military security of the United States. Sort of like the Interstate Highway System was later. That is started to make money sometime after the Civil War is nice, but not a pre-condition of its existence.
But today, even national defense is privatized, you ol' crypto-Marxist, you!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am

corplinx wrote:The post office is one of the last refuges of the mythical american worker.

You get hired, you work for 40 years, you never are at risk of being let go, you
can be complacent or even lazy, you retire on a good pension.

This is the bill of goods that was sold to union factory workers during a time before
globalization. When they talk about "bringing back the middle class", what they really
mean is "bringing back overpaid non-competitive labor through a mix of protectionism
and government subsidy". It is a rejection of microeconomics and science.
They're not so bad. It's drudge work, no matter what the job -- at least at the blue-collar levels. It's probably pretty fucking boring with no challenges whatsoever, unless you define challenge as delivering mail in crap-ass weather you wouldn't let your dog out to piss in.

Anyway, they're not going away. It's pretty clear we still need them but not 6 days a week.

I foresee a three-day delivery week, MWF for half the zip code, TTS for the other half. With businesses or others wanting 6-day service paying for it.

I see [even] more automation at the sorting end, with stricter requirements at the 'envelope and address' end to accommodate that automation -- but if you want to use funny envelope with an archaic hand-scribed address you can pay for a special stamp to accommodate that too.

I see local contracts with UPS and FEDEX to deliver where they don't want to go; there's a ton of money in that.

I see fewer single post mail boxes and far more grouped boxes...even in the 'nicer' neighborhoods.

I see an e-card service, wherein you can email from your computer and have a real-live card delivered to grandma, who don't cotton to no dad-gummed intertube...also would help ed with his smtp and pop3 confusion.

I swear, they should put me in charge. I'd make them a profit.

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 pm

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 pm

grayman wrote:
ed wrote:
grayman wrote:There's talk of closing our post office. That would suck because it's the only thing we have in town, and usually during the winter mornings, this is where my neighbors hang out and chat. It's our social center.
This is what drives me crazy. Seize the opportunity!!! Rent the property and keep it going. Sell stamps, take packages (for USPS, Fedex and UPS!!),. Sell Latte Sell Booze Sell Dope Sell p0rn!!!

WTF, you have an opportunity staring at you.
The property is in the front room of a private residence. There is a building next door that at one time was a general store. I always thought that would make a good place for a coffee shop.

Postal Service: Four county offices could close
Eminent domain, dammit!!!! We can take private property now and give it to plutocrats!!!1!1

Why are you posting here? Get out and make them vacate.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
corplinx wrote:The post office is one of the last refuges of the mythical american worker.

You get hired, you work for 40 years, you never are at risk of being let go, you

This is the bill of goods that was sold to union factory workers during a time before
globalization. When they talk about "bringing back the middle class", what they really
mean is "bringing back overpaid non-competitive labor through a mix of protectionism
They're not so bad. It's drudge work, no matter what the job -- at least at the blue-collar levels. It's probably pretty fucking boring with no challenges whatsoever, unless you define challenge as delivering mail in crap-ass weather you wouldn't let your dog out to piss in.

Anyway, they're not going away. It's pretty clear we still need them but not 6 days a week.

I foresee a three-day delivery week, MWF for half the zip code, TTS for the other half. With businesses or others wanting 6-day service paying for it.

I see [even] more automation at the sorting end, with stricter requirements at the 'envelope and address' end to accommodate that automation -- but if you want to use funny envelope with an archaic hand-scribed address you can pay for a special stamp to accommodate that too.

I see local contracts with UPS and FEDEX to deliver where they don't want to go; there's a ton of money in that.

I see fewer single post mail boxes and far more grouped boxes...even in the 'nicer' neighborhoods.

I see an e-card service, wherein you can email from your computer and have a real-live card delivered to grandma, who don't cotton to no dad-gummed intertube...also would help ed with his smtp and pop3 confusion.

You sell six day stamps and three day stamp at half the cost.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:28 pm

ed wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

You sell six day stamps and three day stamp at half the cost.
Hey you! I'm perfectly happy giving you a cushy job in one of the back offices (complete with a hot secretary), but keep your suggestions private so that I might take credit for the good ones.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 am

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/1 ... ew-reality
As we come within days of the end-of-year deadline, the USPS still hasn't come up the the billions upon billions that it owes, here we see the postmaster general directly addressing the problem...
"We are forced to face a new reality today,” said Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe. “With the dramatic decline in mail volume and the resulting excess capacity, maintaining a vast national infrastructure is no longer realistic."
The direct cause of the reality [we] are forced to face is in the next paragraph
Since the advent of email and other electronic communication, the postal service has seen a steady decline in its use. More than 43 billion fewer pieces of mail are sent now than they were five years ago. First-class mail has dropped 25 percent, and the transmission of stamped letters is down 36 percent over that time frame. The postage purchased to send first-class mail is a primary source of revenue for the USPS.
And here we see the response of the Union to the very mention of the direct cause of the problem
The American Postal Workers Union blasted the move.

“The Postal Service should be urging Congress to address the cause of its problems – not slashing service and demolishing its network," union president Cliff Guffey said.
Yea, ok, maybe the postmaster general could have been just a little more specific and mentioned that the American Postal Workers Union is the biggest part of the problem. I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant though.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:39 am

The PO is underfunded ($0).

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Americans watching college football games and news broadcasts in the next week may notice new ads from the agency — long known for its campy messages promoting Priority Mail shipping services. Now, the “If it fits, it ships” campaign will share airtime with two 30-second spots designed to remind customers that paper mail, unlike e-mail, can’t be hacked, and that letter carriers are still providing reliable and safe deliveries to doorsteps.
The stupid is strong in this one.

More desperation
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... print.html

It is time for the post master general to surrender his sword (but to whom, we do not know). in an information utopia, there is little need for a messenger boy.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Americans watching college football games and news broadcasts in the next week may notice new ads from the agency — long known for its campy messages promoting Priority Mail shipping services. Now, the “If it fits, it ships” campaign will share airtime with two 30-second spots designed to remind customers that paper mail, unlike e-mail, can’t be hacked, and that letter carriers are still providing reliable and safe deliveries to doorsteps.
The stupid is strong in this one.

More desperation
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... print.html

It is time for the post master general to surrender his sword (but to whom, we do not know). in an information utopia, there is little need for a messenger boy.
Because computers and internet connections are free!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:31 pm

DrMatt wrote:Because computers and internet connections are free!
Free as a book of stamps...
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:01 am

WildCat wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Because computers and internet connections are free!
Free as a book of stamps...
At which point beer takes to the streets demanding its civil liberties.

Free Beer!