United States Postal Service: What to do?

We are the Borg.
EvilYeti

Re: United States Postal Service: What to do?

Postby EvilYeti » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:34 pm

DrMatt wrote:And another thing. Roads. Who needs 'em? Any place you can go on a road that's worth going, you can go via webcam.

Totally!

Just like MIDI has replaced the need for real musicians and random number generators have replaced composers!

[youtube]IbGO0a5P0M8[/youtube]

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 am

In the interest of full disclosure, the post office put a parcel box at the end of my parents private drive. So this 'fixed' the late/missing deliveries.

Good example that the public sector fixes things, eventually.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 am

EvilYeti wrote:In the interest of full disclosure, the post office put a parcel box at the end of my parents private drive. So this 'fixed' the late/missing deliveries.

Good example that the public sector fixes things, eventually.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:34 pm

(Newser) – After deciding to close 491 post offices last year, the struggling US Postal Service will add as many as 2,000 additional branches to that tally beginning in March. Another 16,000 unprofitable ones will also be reviewed, as the USPS pushes Congress to allow them to close the worst performing, the Wall Street Journal reports (the law doesn't cite profitability as a reason for closing a post office). After a record $8.5 billion in losses last year, the USPS is arguing its network of 32,000 offices is outdated in the digital era, but a disproportionate number of the at-risk offices are in rural areas or small towns—and for the nearby residents, those offices are an integral part of staying connected to the rest of the nation.

"When they close the post office, they probably won't even come up here anymore and clean the roads,” says one resident of a small Kentucky town that doesn’t yet have reliable cable, Internet, or cell phone service. Though residents of affected communities will still have delivery (either to their homes or to mailbox clusters constructed in town) and can use post offices in neighboring towns, many of the elderly or those with health problems rely on a nearby branch. Says one 62-year-old, who would need to drive 12 miles on a steep, winding mountain road to the nearest branch, “It will hurt us real bad.

Just an update really.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Postal Service warns of default as losses mount

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Postal Service warned Wednesday that it may default on some of its financial obligations later this year after reporting yet another quarterly loss.

The USPS, a self-supporting government agency that receives no tax dollars, said it suffered a loss of $329 million in the first quarter of federal fiscal year 2011. That compared with a loss of $297 million a year earlier.

The agency has been suffering from an ongoing decline in mail volume, which has undercut revenues, while retiree health care costs have been straining its reserves.

Excluding costs related to retiree benefits and adjustments to workers' compensation liability, the Postal Service said it had net income was $226 million in the first quarter, which ended Dec. 31.

double the price of stamps? that would only mean greater loss as those that don't absolutely have to snailmail would do so less. fire the slackers? good idea but, ya know, rights and shit. subsidize the loss? looks like that's the way it is going to be.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:37 pm

grayman

Postby grayman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:03 pm

There's talk of closing our post office. That would suck because it's the only thing we have in town, and usually during the winter mornings, this is where my neighbors hang out and chat. It's our social center.
Last edited by grayman on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:10 pm

grayman wrote:There's talk of closing our post office. That would suck because it's the only thing we have in town, and usually during the winter mornings, this is where my neighbors hang out and chat. It's more of a social center than anything else.

perhaps a nice bar.

or an ihop.

:|

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 pm

grayman wrote:There's talk of closing our post office. That would suck because it's the only thing we have in town, and usually during the winter mornings, this is where my neighbors hang out and chat. It's our social center.

Perhaps if they charged each of you $10/hr to hang out and chat they could stay open?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 am

In Japan the post office is also a bank (the largest in Japan in terms of deposits) and an insurance company.

It's the poster boy of too big to fail.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 pm

grayman wrote:There's talk of closing our post office. That would suck because it's the only thing we have in town, and usually during the winter mornings, this is where my neighbors hang out and chat. It's our social center.

This is what drives me crazy. Seize the opportunity!!! Rent the property and keep it going. Sell stamps, take packages (for USPS, Fedex and UPS!!),. Sell Latte Sell Booze Sell Dope Sell p0rn!!!

WTF, you have an opportunity staring at you.
- new minimalist ethos -

grayman

Postby grayman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:20 pm

ed wrote:

This is what drives me crazy. Seize the opportunity!!! Rent the property and keep it going. Sell stamps, take packages (for USPS, Fedex and UPS!!),. Sell Latte Sell Booze Sell Dope Sell p0rn!!!

WTF, you have an opportunity staring at you.

The property is in the front room of a private residence. There is a building next door that at one time was a general store. I always thought that would make a good place for a coffee shop.

Postal Service: Four county offices could close
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Aside from delivering packages which can probably be done better by the private companies, we should simply move to a web based document exchange. In other words, let the USPS die a natural death. No heroic efforts, DNR.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:22 pm

sparks wrote:Aside from delivering packages which can probably be done better by the private companies, we should simply move to a web based document exchange. In other words, let the USPS die a natural death. No heroic efforts, DNR.

So proof of service of intent to sue in court will be accomplished by "I tried to e-mail them but didn't know their e-mail addresses." Or "I tried to Fedex them but Fedex said they don't serve that neighborhood."
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:20 pm

DrMatt wrote:
sparks wrote:Aside from delivering packages which can probably be done better by the private companies, we should simply move to a web based document exchange. In other words, let the USPS die a natural death. No heroic efforts, DNR.

So proof of service of intent to sue in court will be accomplished by "I tried to e-mail them but didn't know their e-mail addresses." Or "I tried to Fedex them but Fedex said they don't serve that neighborhood."

That's a nice hypothetical, in reality USPS uses FedEx for some deliveries, never the other way around.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Grammatron wrote:
DrMatt wrote:

That's a nice hypothetical, in reality USPS uses FedEx for some deliveries, never the other way around.
So when USPS ceases to exist, proof of service of intent to sue will be accomplished by citing FedEx as a government organ, or what?
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:08 pm

DrMatt wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DrMatt wrote:

So when USPS ceases to exist, proof of service of intent to sue will be accomplished by citing FedEx as a government organ, or what?

I don't have a crystal ball that tells me hypothetical.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Grammatron wrote:
DrMatt wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DrMatt wrote:

I don't have a crystal ball that tells me hypothetical.

Well, if we seriously propose to kill off the USPS, we ought to figure out how all its current use cases will be accomplished in its absence.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 pm

DrMatt wrote:Well, if we seriously propose to kill off the USPS, we ought to figure out how all its current use cases will be accomplished in its absence.

No one is saying we shouldn't.

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:44 pm

DrMatt wrote:Well, if we seriously propose to kill off the USPS, we ought to figure out how all its current use cases will be accomplished in its absence.

Exactly the way they were before there was a USPS.

As it stand currently its just a means to fill my mailbox with junk.

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”