Earliest zero

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Witness

Earliest zero

Postby Witness » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 am

University of Oxford
Published on Sep 14, 2017

The Bakhshali manuscript is an ancient Indian mathematical manuscript written on more than 70 leaves of birch bark, found in 1881. It is notable for having a dot representing zero in it.

The date of the manuscript has intrigued scholars for years, with many believing it dated from the 9th century, as does the oldest known example of a zero in India, in Gwailor temple. Now a team of researchers at the University of Oxford and the Bodleian Libraries have carbon dated the manuscript and found that it dates from between the second and fourth centuries!

The Bakhshali manuscript therefore contains the oldest recorded example of the symbol that we use for zero today. This symbol would then grow into something that exists in its own right to capture the concept of nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_gXGTuWxY

Mentat

Re: Earliest zero

Postby Mentat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 am

Geez, my hero Zero is older than I thought.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 pm

viewtopic.php?p=766580#p766580

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
DrMatt wrote:In contrast to that, scientific facts have been independently discovered and written-about in non-communicating cultures for millennia. Even para-scientific facts like mathematical theorems have been independently discovered. One of the great theorems of Algebra is called the Chinese Remainder Theorem, though Algebra (Al-jebr, "re-unification") is an Arabic term.

Reminds me of something that happened in my presence in college.

I was taking a graduate course in number theory (the professor was Jewish and from New York). There was some sort of situation where he had to be absent at a time when the next lesson coming up was about the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

Another professor (a Chinese) taught the lesson, with a bit of an aside about what great mathematicians Chinese are.

The next lesson was taught by yet another professor (an Indian), who very indignantly held forth (complete with names and dates) about how it should really be called the Indian Remainder Theorem.

The following lesson the original professor was back. The first words out of his mouth before anyone else said anything:

"You know. I think it should be called the Jewish Remainder Theorem."

Then on to the next lesson. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:22 am

Russell Peters - Invention of Zero

https://comedynightjokes.com/russell-pe ... nted-zero/

According to Russell Peters, Indians are so cheap that they created the number zero. :D
Such potential!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 am

It all depends on how you define it; however, if I understand properly--and I have been told that "millions" are "bigger" than "100,000" [Stop it!--Ed.]--the concept as a placeholder to "nothing" is earlier and developed independently, but as an actual number, the Cheap Wogs win, what? What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Return to “Archaeology”