Just got the new Sim City

Stump your fellow simians.
Nyarlathotep

Just got the new Sim City

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 am

But notice that I am here, rather than playing the game. Is it because I didn't WANT to play the game? No, it because this is the second game I have bought with that stupid 'have to play it on their server' style of DRM and this is the second time that the game had server issues on launch day so that I can't actually play. There will NOT be a third.

So You got my money out of me EA, and deliver nothing in return. Well played EA, well played.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Just got the new Sim City

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:15 am

Can you still brick-up the bathroom door and make the players piss themselves? That was the only bit of The Original Sims I enjoyed.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 am

Sim City is not the Sims. :x
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 am

Get off my lawn!

'Twould be fun to produce an SC version of The Sims...
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Can you still brick-up the bathroom door and make the players piss themselves? That was the only bit of The Original Sims I enjoyed.

I used to do that too. My FAVORITE trick was to wait for a neighbor to take a dip in my pool...then remove the ladder. :twisted:

An SC version of the Sims would be fun, I agree. But as Mentat said, Sim City is not the Sims.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 am

I want to brick-up Dr.X, Anaxagoras and Hammegk in the bathroom and see who wins!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 am

asthmatic camel wrote:I want to brick-up Dr.X, Anaxagoras and Hammegk in the bathroom and see who wins!
Never did anything like that with real people. I did create a neighborhood once where everybody was my interpretation of a character from a movie. I had Neo and Trinity from the Matrix, Hannibal Lecter, Ash Williams (from the Evil Dead movies) and George and Mary Bailey (From Its a Wonderful Life). Mary Bailey and Ash ended up having an affair. Hail to the King Baby.

Kristopher

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Get off my lawn!

So basically make a bunch of unfriendly people exist in a building with no doors and see who kills who first? :P
When one considers that our planet is doomed, at least as far as life is concerned, it is impossible to put meaningful value on the titanic forward struggle of life on Earth through billions of years. This struggle, whether conscious or not, appears agonizingly futile if the gigantic mass contribution can not be perpetuated.
- Philip N. Shockey, "Space Journal", March-May, 1959

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 am

Hm, given the nature of the board I could survive just by coating everything in sugar.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:Get off my lawn!

No, you get off MY lawn!!!

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Just goes to show that I'm not too much of a nerd.

:oops:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 pm

gnome wrote:No, you get off MY lawn!!!
I had the DOS version of Sim City of that era.

Remember the "Detroit 1975" scenario, where you had to make the city solvent by the in game year 2000 (or something like that)?

I tried everything.

More cops and high taxes. No go.

Urban renewal with lots of commercial property and low taxes. I almost made it, but not quite.

How I finally did it: Build a power plant and develop a little village in the empty south east corner of the map, plus race against time genocide by bulldozer the rest.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Just found out that Machinarium is offered for mobile tablets.
I already have Too Much Coffee Man's Shannon Wheeler's FunnierApp, so I guess Machinarium will be next.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Exquisite taste as always, DrMatt.

Machinarium is beautiful.

:)

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
gnome wrote:No, you get off MY lawn!!!
I had the DOS version of Sim City of that era.

Remember the "Detroit 1975" scenario, where you had to make the city solvent by the in game year 2000 (or something like that)?

I tried everything.

More cops and high taxes. No go.

Urban renewal with lots of commercial property and low taxes. I almost made it, but not quite.

How I finally did it: Build a power plant and develop a little village in the empty south east corner of the map, plus race against time genocide by bulldozer the rest.
Reminds me of how I solved the German traffic scenario.... (was it Germany?) You'd appreciate it... I systematically replaced all roads with rail.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:16 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:Exquisite taste as always, DrMatt.

Machinarium is beautiful.

:)
Okay, I got it.

I like the fact that the mysterious hoverbots at the beginning show up in the final credits.

There are four female characters but they never interact with each other, so no Bechdel.

The internal logic became more apparent playing through a second time.

Stumbled upon one plot discontinuity.
After you've dumped water on the poker party, if you come back down to the Band level and go in the Tavern, you can see that the poker party is still in session without any water dumped on them. When you finally get to the mezzanine, though, the water is back.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:But notice that I am here, rather than playing the game. Is it because I didn't WANT to play the game? No, it because this is the second game I have bought with that stupid 'have to play it on their server' style of DRM and this is the second time that the game had server issues on launch day so that I can't actually play. There will NOT be a third.

So You got my money out of me EA, and deliver nothing in return. Well played EA, well played.
Apparently you are entitled to a free game as compensation. Feel any better?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21828799
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:But notice that I am here, rather than playing the game. Is it because I didn't WANT to play the game? No, it because this is the second game I have bought with that stupid 'have to play it on their server' style of DRM and this is the second time that the game had server issues on launch day so that I can't actually play. There will NOT be a third.

Apparently you are entitled to a free game as compensation. Feel any better?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21828799
Yeah, I got my free game last night. Sadly, the list doesn't include anything I really like. I ended up picking Dead Space 3. Not the sort of game I would normally buy, but it sounded a little bit interesting so I was willing to give it a shot for free.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Again, bungled. As long as they are compensating buyers affected, why not simply give them some credit towards any EA purchase?
--Soldier, TF2

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:55 pm

DrMatt wrote:There are four female characters but they never interact with each other, so no Bechdel.
Er, 5.
I call them: Tavernbot, Too-much-noise-bot, Infinity grandmabot, Dog-lady-bot, and Girlfriend-bot.
I have no idea what they're called in Czech. The clock is based on a famous landmark.
The looping soundtrack, curiously enough, is made mostly of live studio recordings.