NIH alcohol study cancelled

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

NIH alcohol study cancelled

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:18 am

The NIH Just Cancelled a Massive Alcohol Study Because It Was 'Irrevocably Damaged'
The National Institutes of Health on Friday canceled a mammoth study of moderate drinking after determining that officials had irrevocably compromised the research by soliciting over $60 million from beer and liquor companies to underwrite the effort.

NIH Director Francis S. Collins said the results of the 10-year, $100 million study would not be trusted because of the secretive way in which staff at an institute under NIH met with major liquor companies, talked to them about the trial's design and convinced them to pick up most of the tab for it.

"Many people who have seen this working-group report were frankly shocked to see so many lines crossed," he said, calling the staff interaction with the alcohol industry "far out of bounds."
Not only did they solicit funds from the alcohol industry to pay for the research, they tried to keep it a secret that that's who was paying for it.

I know there has been some reporting in the past that moderate drinking might actually be good for one's health, but I think overall the evidence is mixed at best.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: NIH alcohol study cancelled

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am

Years ago, I picked up, at a winery, a book on "the French Miracle" and all of that. That the French can surrender to the Germans, fuck sheep, eat lard, yet LIFE FOREVER because they drink red wine or bordox or something not Freedom.

It ended up in the trash can.

Chick tracks were less propagandistic. There may have been some "truth" in the rhetoric. It did not survive the flood of bullshit prose.

That was the Wine Industry [Tm.--Ed.] trying to "spin" research anecdotes to promote drinking wine.

This?

Do they even try anymore?

I blame tentacles.

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 am

With the money saved, maybe they can fund my research into the health benefits of moderate consumption of hentai tentacle anime?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 am

For the Children, of course.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!