The "All of Us" project

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

The "All of Us" project

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 pm

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... -all-of-us

"I think we're already at the diminishing returns point for many of the complex traits that important to our society in terms of health."

The solutions to these common conditions lie largely in changing diets, exercise habits and tobacco addiction. Focusing genetic resources on diseases that do have strong genetic components makes a lot of sense, he says.

"But pouring more and more investment into these huge studies based on the idea that if you search enough computer data you will get an answer, I think is a false promise," he says.

He would rather take the money being spent on All of Us and use it to work on gene therapies for diseases that have a clear genetic cause, such as muscular dystrophy or Huntington's disease. "And once those [therapies] are developed — which I think they will be because I think humans are really good at engineering — then we can extend to the less clear-cut genetic traits."

Meanwhile, if the goal is to improve the health of our population, he says, "let's spend money on dietary exposures, exercise exposures, all the things that we know about to reduce the frequency of the kinds of diseases that we're spending so much money to try to treat is if they were genetic."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The "All of Us" project

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 am

Pyrrho wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/12/31/572674823/researchers-gather-health-data-for-all-of-us

"I think we're already at the diminishing returns point for many of the complex traits that important to our society in terms of health."

Like grammar and proper composition, apparently.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The "All of Us" project

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Last sentence probably should have been "as if".
The reporter, Richard Harris, writes about things like ...
https://www.npr.org/people/2100631/richard-harris
10,000 foot view: He's got quite the ax to grind against modern medicine.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”