What's killing us this week?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

What's killing us this week?

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:11 am

Diet soda is the latest rage. Apparently causes everything. Should I also give up sucralose?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: What's killing us this week?

Postby Doctor X » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE

--J. "You Fucked Up! You Trusted Us!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Has a chapter "Salad, the silent killer"… :mrgreen:

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Netflix has a special on the sugar industry.

Refined sugar (sucrose) is bad. It started out as a "natural" sweetener, but it's addictive. Nobody wants to think of things they like as addictive, especially when production and sale of it balloons into a multi-billion dollar industry with solid government backing. Sugar is literally in every processed food product. Unless you are surviving on food from your garden, you are probably eating sugar.

Then came artificial sweeteners. The alternative to sugar. They started out innocent enough. Artificial sweeteners have a higher sweetness than sugar, so you can use less, thus you are only getting a small dose. That's how it started, but it wasn't long before artificial sweeteners started turning up in everything, and in higher doses as well.

The insane doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners the average person ingests per day from processed foods makes it obvious why more the 1/4 of the US population is diabetic and obese, and those numbers continue to climb.

Don't worry about it, though. YOU are safe. Enjoy your Vitamin water. It's water....with vitamins. Healthy, right? It's right in the name. Coke wants you to be healthy. Right?

http://www.motherjones.com/food/2013/01 ... r-obesity/

Back in 2009, the Center for Science in the Public Interest sued Coca-Cola for making “deceptive and unsubstantiated” health claims about the products. In 2010, a US federal district court judge rejected Coca-Cola’s motion to dismiss the suit (document here), noting that Coke’s lawyers had made a remarkable argument: “At oral argument defendants suggested that no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage.”
Such potential!

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:42 pm

My back.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Witness wrote:Image

Monsieur Mangetout
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:55 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Diet soda is the latest rage. Apparently causes everything. Should I also give up sucralose?

Sucralose got it's fame because it's a powerful sweetener that supposedly does not react with the human body. This was the conclusion based on studies showing that the amount that was ingested was the same quantity that was pissed and sweated out. It apparently passes right through you, so it's harmless, right?

Like all other artificial sweeteners, sucrose fucks with your pancreas. You body senses sweet stuff entering you digestive system, so your pancreas releases insulin to process it. Except insulin doesn't interact with artificial sweeteners, so there it sits in your guts, which fucks with your appetite. Ever notice how hungry you feel after drinking a diet soda, or vitamin water, or anything that's loaded with artificial sweetener? You will continue to feel hungry until you've gorged yourself on stuff with real sugar, which is everything else.

Don't worry though. It's just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. Easily dismissed. You're diet is healthy enough. Just one chai latte tea from Starbucks will hit the spot. It's tea. Tea is healthy. It comes from the earth. And latte is milk, which comes from cows, which also come from earth. Starbucks is a health conscious company. They care much more about your health than the evil Coke company.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-you-kno ... cks-drink/

Venti chai tea latte -- 52 grams of sugar (about 13 teaspoons)

For comparison, a can of Coke contains 33 grams of sugar.
Such potential!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:02 pm

shemp wrote:Monsieur Mangetout

I'll counter that wiki with another wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)

Pica is characterized by an appetite for substances that are largely non-nutritive, such as ice (pagophagia); hair (trichophagia); paper (xylophagia);[1] drywall or paint; metal (metallophagia); stones (lithophagia) or soil (geophagia); glass (hyalophagia); or feces (coprophagia); and chalk.[2] According to DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition) criteria, for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate

So Mr. Mangetout lived to be 57. Good for him. I had an uncle that smoked two packs a day and lived to be 90. Guess that means cigarettes are healthy. :roll: :P
Such potential!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Don't think for one second that I'm at all health conscious. I'm currently sucking on a shard of jawbreaker that I bought on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1 ... =UTF8&th=1

Heaven!

I'm just in a trolling mood because I'm also having a caffeine high from a Starbuck's dark roast that I just sucked down. :hyper:

The only difference between me and everyone else is that I don't mind admitting that I'm a hypocrite. I hold others to a higher standard than I do for myself. Nothing wrong with that. :P
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Witness wrote:Image

Does he eat glass, like David Blaine?

That man is mental.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:40 pm

I win! :coolspecs:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:56 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:45 am

Multivitamins are, at best, a waste of money, Johns Hopkins doctors say

The latest issue of Annals of Internal Medicine contains three articles addressing "the role of vitamin and mineral supplements for preventing the occurrence or progression of chronic diseases." An editorial in the same Dec. 17 issue offers the following recommendation, based upon the most current research: "Most supplements do not prevent chronic disease or death, their use is not justified, and they should be avoided."

Details: https://hub.jhu.edu/2013/12/17/vitamins-might-be-harmful/

So do not fail to supplement your industrial food with industrial vitamins. :twisted:

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 am

Do not eat human brains if you do not know the medical history of your order.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Supermalaria.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41351160

The rapid spread of "super malaria" in South East Asia is an alarming global threat, scientists are warning.
This dangerous form of the malaria parasite cannot be killed with the main anti-malaria drugs.
It emerged in Cambodia but has since spread through parts of Thailand, Laos and has arrived in southern Vietnam.
The team at the Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit in Bangkok said there was a real danger of malaria becoming untreatable.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Yet another reason South East Asia is a one huge "Nope."

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Gene drive.

We already have the technology to eliminate malaria.

Possibly. We just need to be brave enough to actually release it.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Gene drive.

That is true, or at least I too read that somewhere on the internet so it must be.

But environmentalists would have a fucking meltdown. And honestly, unless you really know the unforeseen consequences it might be better to just let malaria do its thing. What feeds on mosquitoes?'
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/articles/ ... mosquitoes

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Gene drive.

That is true, or at least I too read that somewhere on the internet so it must be.

But environmentalists would have a fucking meltdown. And honestly, unless you really know the unforeseen consequences it might be better to just let malaria do its thing. What feeds on mosquitoes?'
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/articles/ ... mosquitoes

The neat thing is that the gene drive doesn't even need to kill the mosquitos. It just gives them a mutation so that they no longer carry the malaria parasite. Although there are thousands of species of mosquitos, only one of them spreads malaria. So things that eat mosquitos would not be affected.

https://www.nature.com/news/gene-drive- ... ia-1.18858
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:14 am

--J.D.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”