Baby Powder and Cancer

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Baby Powder and Cancer

Postby Rob Lister » Sat May 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm calling bullshit on this one up front. But just so you cock holsters know what I'm on about ...

A St. Louis jury has awarded a Virginia woman a record-setting $110.5 million in the latest lawsuit alleging that using Johnson & Johnson's baby powder caused cancer, the AP reports. ...

Slemp, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2012, blames her illness on her use of the company's talcum-containing products for more than 40 years. ...

About 2,000 state and federal lawsuits are in courts across the country over concerns about health problems caused by prolonged talcum powder use.

Talc, a mineral, has been widely used in cosmetics and other personal care products to absorb moisture since at least 1894. Much research has found no link or a weak one between ovarian cancer and using baby powder for feminine hygiene, and most major health groups have declared talc harmless. ...

Still, the International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies genital use of talc as "possibly carcinogenic." Attorneys with the firm that handled the St. Louis cases cited other research that began connecting talcum powder to ovarian cancer in the 1970s. They cite case studies showing that women who regularly use talc on their genital area face up to a 40% higher risk of developing ovarian cancer.
http://www.newser.com/story/242332/woma ... owder.html

40% of what?

At such a low incidence rate, that's fucking static. Note that in 1999 the American Indian/Alaska Native incidence jumped 40% in one year.

Regardless, even if we say that it might be the cause, we cannot say that it is more likely than not, which is the standard for civil suits. Hopefully J and J will win their appeals .

Anaxagoras

Re: Baby Powder and Cancer

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Sounds like bullshit to me too. I guess the attorneys for the plaintiff did a great job of selecting the jury and knew how to appeal to them, because as a scientific question I think there's lots of room for reasonable doubt. Then again, in a civil case, "reasonable doubt" isn't the standard, is it? I think it's more like a "preponderance of the evidence" (as the jury sees it).

I don't know if an appeals court can reconsider that evidence though. Of course, IANAL, but my understanding is that they can only consider whether the law was properly applied, not second-guess findings of fact by the jury.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat May 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Abstract
Talc, like asbestos, is a silicate that has been studied in relation to cancer risk. Several studies conducted over the past 25 years found an association between perineal talc powders and ovarian cancer. The summary relative risk is about 1.3 (95% confidence intervals 1.2-1.5) and these data have been interpreted as supporting a causal role. In this review article, we discuss the chemical and morphological features of talc and asbestos, and explain why despite their similar chemical classification talc does not possess asbestos-like carcinogenic properties. The heterogeneity in the perineal dusting studies has raised important concerns over the validity of the exposure measurements, and the lack of a consistent dose-response effect limits making causal inferences. Perhaps more importantly, whereas it is unknown whether external talc dust enters the female reproductive tract, measures of internal talc exposure such as talc-dusted diaphragms and latex condoms show no relationship with ovarian cancer risk. In addition, the therapeutic use of high dose cosmetic grade talc for pleurodesis has not been shown to cause cancer in patients receiving these treatment modalities. Talc is not genotoxic. Mechanistic, pathology and animal model studies have not found evidence for a carcinogenic effect. In summary, these data collectively do not indicate that cosmetic talc causes ovarian cancer.

Perineal talc use and ovarian cancer: a critical review

Later paper from the same author:

Abstract
A number of observational studies (largely case-control) conducted over the last two decades suggest an association between use of talc powders on the female perineum and increased risk of ovarian cancer. A subset of these reports shows a roughly 30-60% increased risk of ovarian cancer associated with perineal talc exposure. A number of researchers partly base their conclusions of an association on the '…chemical relationship between talc and asbestos', the latter substance being a known human carcinogen. Although separating causal from noncausal explanations for an observed statistical association is a difficult process, there currently exist commonly accepted guidelines by which such inferences can be made. These scientific approaches include consideration of the strength of the association, the consistency of the finding across studies, and existence of a biological explanation of the observed phenomenon, among others. When applied to the context of a proposed talc/ovarian cancer association, we conclude that the weak statistical associations observed in a number of epidemiological studies do not support a causal association.

Perineal talc use and ovarian cancer risk: a case study of scientific standards in environmental epidemiology.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Ladies: The new modern now au go go woman does not powder her pussy.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat May 06, 2017 7:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq5RsYtlqDY

No, you do not want to let a pussy come into contact with talcum powder. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Abstract
Talc, like asbestos,

Blah blah blah

[/highlight].

Perineal talc use and ovarian cancer: a critical review

Later paper from the same author:

Abstract
Blah blah blah

--J.D.

Clearly a shill for the vested Talc interests. And I bet Talc has nothing to do with Global Warming either, right mister??? :x :x
- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat May 06, 2017 10:33 pm

What does this mean for men who use Gold Bond?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun May 07, 2017 4:07 am

There are periodical "health alerts", the media naturally seldom publishing correctives when the flimsy evidence gets debunked. (You all know that, of course.)

E. g. quite some years ago drinking coffee suddenly meant increased risk of pancreatic cancer.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 am

Pyrrho wrote:What does this mean for men who use Gold Bond?

An udder problem entirely.

--J.D.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”