This Just in . . . Gluten Does Not Explain Your FAIL!

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

This Just in . . . Gluten Does Not Explain Your FAIL!

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:03 pm

As reported by Quackwatch:

“Gluten-free" fad debunked

Celiac disease is a chronic autoimmune condition characterized by small intestinal inflammation and triggered by gluten exposure in genetically sensitive individuals. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye. The Journal of Pediatrics has published an analysis of fads and fictions associated with the gluten-free diet (GFD). [Reilly NR. The gluten-free diet: Recognizing fact, fiction, and fad. The Journal of Pediatrics, May 10, 2016] The author noted:

The true incidence of celiac disease is well below 1%. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity also exists. Its prevalence is unknown but also low. Yet a 2015 survey of 30 000 adults in 60 countries worldwide found that 21% of those surveyed rated gluten-free as a "very important" attribute when making food purchasing decisions.

Although avoiding gluten is vital for people with celiac disease, there is no evidence that this benefits otherwise-healthy and symptom-free adults and children.

Market research has found that consumers without celiac disease purchase the vast bulk of gluten-free products.

There is no evidence that processed gluten-free foods are generally healthier than their gluten-containing counterparts.

Unnecessary gluten-free dieting can lead to obesity, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome; deficiencies in B vitamins, folate, and iron; increased exposure to arsenic (in rice) and mercury; and greater food costs.

There is no evidence that delaying gluten introduction to infants prevents celiac disease.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Re: This Just in . . . Gluten Does Not Explain Your FAIL!

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:37 am

I had not heard of that highlighted bit before.

Sort of related, but for many years my brother had what he called a dairy allergy. Supposedly even small amounts of dairy products in his food would make him feel bad. Perhaps coincidentally his wife also has the same problem. So I was a bit surprised to hear from him last time I visited that he no longer thinks he is allergic to dairy. And he has started eating it again. His wife still avoids it though.

Is it possible that some people just psych themselves into thinking that some kind of food is bad for them, and with the gluten-free people, other than true celiac sufferers, they actually feel bad (or think they feel bad) when they eat it?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:10 am

It can very well be that. Some people who are use to a form of milk--say whole--cannot stand skim and vice a versa. So I do not know if that applies. It depends on what the symptoms and signs were. Others are lactose intolerant, but that is because of a deficiency of an enzyme so I have never heard of people starting to produce it later in life.

But I think your latter point is what is going on. We can sort of convince ourselves of a lot of things that are objectively silly. It is an easy explanation and promise one can be "better" by "doing X and not doing Y."

This is like ADHD, Asperger's and other real actual problems that have become "fads" for everyone who wants to feel special because they have an illness. There is a shit-load of secondary gain in that sort of thing which only feeds back upon itself to reenforce the placebo effect. This distracts from those who do have those problems.

Unfortunately, the "Fad" attitude leads to Stupid Treatments which, since they do not actually treat anything, become valid. Then these are used to treat the real conditions with potentially tragic results.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:53 am

Yeah, I don't know what was really going on with him. I do remember him saying in the past that it was not lactose intolerance, it was an allergy. But now it seems to have disappeared, or maybe it was always psychosomatic to begin with.

But I have heard similar things from the Gluten-free people: "I feel so much better now!" Can't really argue with that.
Last edited by Anaxagoras on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:53 am

Such potential!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:13 pm

I don't know about this. How else can someone guilt-trip everyone's dining experience?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Claim that plants feel pain.

--J.D.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Doctor X wrote:Claim that plants feel pain.

--J.D.

Whenever I eat a salad, I hear the death screams.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:22 am

I refuse to share tiny, stomach-negligible, highly gratifying food off my plate to those people that order off the tiny special gluten free menu. Particularly, if I have to hear a preamble about the consequences of gluten on their system. I am not a horrible person. I just counter their requests with concern about possible outcomes to their system.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:44 am

Well, you know, before there were concerns about gluten we had the Holocaust.

Just saying. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:51 am

Maybe it's something else:

A carb called fructan may be the real culprit behind gluten sensitivity

Many Americans have become obsessed with avoiding gluten, despite the dearth of scientific evidence proving this protein (found in wheat, rye, and barley) actually makes people who haven’t been diagnosed with celiac disease, a serious autoimmune disease, or wheat allergy sick.

So how to explain the symptoms of people with so-called non-celiac gluten sensitivity — the bloating, stomach pain, and fatigue they say are alleviated with a gluten-free diet?

For the past several years, scientists began to suspect that maybe other elements in grains are causing these digestion issues. And they’ve zeroed in on a group of carbohydrates called FODMAPs, or “fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols,” which humans lack the digestive enzymes to break down.

FODMAPs include the fructose in fruits and vegetables, the lactose in dairy products, the galactans in legumes, and the fructans in wheat and rye (as well as in other foods like avocados, artichokes, asparagus, leeks, garlic, and onions).

Since fructan is found in many foods that also contain gluten — like pasta and white bread — researchers have had to design studies to try to separate out their effects. A new study published in the journal Gastroenterology shows that fructan caused more stomach upset than gluten did in a group of people who thought they were gluten-sensitive.

This finding has researchers warning: If you think gluten is upsetting your stomach, it might be fructan instead.
There are definitely real gluten-related disorders that people have to cope with, but these are vanishingly rare. Celiac disease causes people's immune systems to violently attack their small intestine whenever they eat gluten. About 1 percent of Americans have celiac disease, according to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness. Even more rare are genuine wheat allergies, which affect an estimated 0.1 percent of people in Westernized countries.

As for the other people sensitive to gluten, a recent review of the double-blind, placebo-controlled trials performed so far found that only 16 percent of people who respond to a gluten-free diet had real non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The rest have other food sensitivities or a nocebo response to gluten, meaning they experience symptoms even when they’re not actually eating gluten.

The improvement in symptoms self-reported by gluten avoiders is often "a result of a placebo effect unavoidably related to the elimination diet," Dr. Umberto Volta, a gluten researcher from the University of Bologna in Italy, told me.

And when patients are assessed more thoroughly, Volta added, it's often other factors rather than gluten that cause their gut discomfort.

This observation spurred studies — such as this one, published in Gastroenterology in 2013 — in which researchers examined the effects of FODMAPs. FODMAPs like fructan reach the large intestine undigested, where they’re fermented by bacteria in the gut. That process produces gas and can lead to discomfort for some people — particularly in those with the chronic gut disorder irritable bowel syndrome or just IBS-like symptoms after eating, such as gas, diarrhea, and bloating.

In the 2013 Gastroenterology study, researchers from Monash University in Australia took 37 people who thought they were sensitive to gluten and followed a gluten-free diet. They challenged the study participants to a double-blind crossover trial where participants ate different levels of gluten or, in the control arm, whey protein.

Before they started the study, participants had to follow a low-FODMAP for two weeks.

“The results were surprising,” said study author Jane Muir, a nutrition researcher at Monash. “In all participants, the significant improvement in gastrointestinal symptoms occurred during the two-week low-FODMAP run-in period.” Meanwhile, whether they ate gluten didn’t seem to have an impact on most of the volunteers.

The researchers then set up a lab to test various FODMAPs in food. “We found that wheat and other gluten-containing grains (like rye, barley, wheat) also contained high levels of fructans,” Muir said in an email. “It appears that fructans and gluten tend to co-exist in foods, and gluten-free grains tend to be low FODMAP.”

So then the researchers decided to zero in on fructans to see if they’re what’s actually causing the symptoms in people with gluten sensitivity — the focus of the new paper.
For the new study, published in October in the journal of Gastroenterology, researchers at the University of Oslo took a group of 59 people who did not have celiac disease but were following a gluten-free diet. Study participants were randomly assigned to eat muesli bars containing gluten, fructans, or a placebo. The bars looked alike and tasted the same, so the study volunteers did not know what they were eating.

After seven days, participants crossed over into a different group, and did so again until they had completed all three bar diets. The participants also tracked their gastrointestinal symptoms — bloating, diarrhea, constipation, pain — throughout.

The fructan bars, it turned out, caused more symptoms than the placebo bars — while the gluten bars had no effect.

“This result strengthens the hypothesis that it is rather the fructans in wheat that is the culprit, not the gluten,” said University of Oslo nutrition researcher Gry Irene Skodje, who led the study, over email.

This research is still in its early stages, and many of the studies involving people with gluten sensitivity or low-FODMAP diets are small. But for those suffering with IBS or IBS-like symptoms, or for people who think they’re gluten-sensitive, the researchers suggest talking to your doctor about a low-FODMAP diet.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm

When I was a kid, health food stores used to sell gluten in bulk.

A vegetarian way to goose up the protein content of soups and stews, as well as an ingredient in "gluten bread".
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”