Why adopt when you can lease a dog?

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Anaxagoras

Why adopt when you can lease a dog?

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Kind of sad but sort of funny story I came across. Seemed worth passing along.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... bank-fines

The Sabins had bought their new dog, Tucker, with financing offered at the pet store through a company called Wags Lending, which assigned the contract to an Oceanside, California-based firm that collects on consumer debt. But when Dawn tracked down a customer service rep at that firm, Monterey Financial Services Inc., she learned she didn’t own the dog after all.

“I asked them: ‘How in the heck can I owe $5,800 when I bought the dog for $2,400?’ They told me, ‘You’re not financing the dog, you’re leasing.’ ‘You mean to tell me I’m renting a dog?’ And they were like, ‘Yeah.’ ”

Oh well. Maybe if they hadn't had their hearts set on such a fancy dog (some exotic breed called "Golden Retriever"). Who pays thousands of dollars when you can get one for free at the SPCA?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: gnat

Re: Why adopt when you can lease a dog?

Postby shemp » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:23 am

With some dogs costing almost as much as a car, it makes perfectly good sense. And there's no mileage charge.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”