Rebates

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Rebates

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Had to buy a new motherboard. Replaced the power supply at the same time. I can get a $20 rebate on the power supply and $10 rebate on the motherboard. Each would be a MasterCard Reward card that would expire in 4 months. Have to register on "4myrebate.com" and naturally they want my name and address...and my phone number. Nope. Not worth 30 bucks to get added to yet another marketing list. From their privacy policy:

Sharing of Information with third-parties:
Merchandizing Partners:

Rebate Center works with Merchandizing Partners to offer consumers rebate choices such as selected merchandise or services instead of the customary cash rebate. For those customers who elect to redeem their rebate by selecting the merchandise or services offered by our Merchandizing Partners, we provide the Merchandizing Partners with the customer's information necessary for them to fulfill the customer's selection. Such information will include the name, address, phone, and email address of the customer. Use of customers' information by Merchandizing Partners is governed by the privacy policy of the company offering the particular merchandize or product.

Independent Contractors:

We may employ other companies or individuals to provide certain services to us such as analyzing customer lists and data, providing marketing assistance, or consulting services. These third parties will have access to the information needed to perform their functions but cannot use that information for any other purpose. Any 3rd parties who use our data will be fully bound by this privacy policy. In no event will the data being used by any unrelated third party include your email address.

Fuck you, pay me. I don't want any other "merchandize."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Re: Rebates

Postby gnome » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Does it need to be a real phone number to get the rebate?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:27 pm

I could use the rebate money to buy a burner phone I guess.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Is that even necessary, what if you just put 555-FUFU or whatever?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”