Respect

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Respect

Postby Pyrrho » Mon May 28, 2018 7:08 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Respect

Postby sparks » Mon May 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Tis indeed Memorial Day.

Thanks most sincerely for the sacrifice people. Sorry we pissed it all away.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed May 30, 2018 6:15 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/ ... -i/561353/

The Fading Battlefields of World War I
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Memorial Day was this last Monday but I just got around to listening to a podcast I downloaded that was clearly put out for Memorial Day. It's about the Vietnam War Memorial on the mall in Washington, D.C.

I've been there myself although it was decades ago. The design was not universally embraced at first. In fact there were many at the time who saw it as an insult. Some sort of modernist anti-war symbol and a slap in the face to veterans. These people had pictured something more traditional, more classical, more patriotic. Some sort of statue like the one of the marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima. This design was different, and not everyone liked it. But it has grown on people, including veterans of course. It's a good listen IMO. They interview some veterans and other people and cover the history.

https://www.pri.org/programs/studio-360 ... memorial-0

This is the monument that changed how America remembers war.

How do you build a monument to a war that was more tragic than triumphant? Maya Lin was practically a kid when she got the commission to design the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the National Mall. “The veterans were asking me, ‘What do you think people are going to do when they first come here?’” she remembers. “And I wanted to say, ‘They’re going to cry.’"

Her minimalistic granite wall was derided by one vet as a “black gash of shame.” But inscribed with the name of every fallen soldier, it became a sacred place for veterans and their families, and it influenced later designs like the National September 11 Memorial. We’ll visit a replica of the wall that travels to veterans’ parades around the country, and hear from former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel about how this singular work of architecture has influenced how we think about war.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Banter”