I almost ended up as part of the tour

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

I almost ended up as part of the tour

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 6:08 am

I just flew back from Colorado and boy are my arms tired.

(ba dum tssssh)

But it was a fantastic trip. Even putting aside the connection to one of my favorite horror films of all time, the Stanley is a great hotel. the lobby has the most comfortable seating area ever. I usually don't hang out in hotel lobbies, because even if they are comfortable enough they are usually kind of sterile and uninviting. This place had the best seating area ever. I never wanted to leave. They almost had to just leave me be and make me part of the tour. It was awesome.

Plus only about five miles from Rocky Mountain National park so just a short drive to some really spectacular natural scenery too.

The thing that I found most amusing in comparing the Stanley to its fictional counterpart is how isolated it wasn't. The Overlook was miles away from everything. The Stanley is on the edge of a thriving little tourist town, it was about 200 yards from a Safeway and maybe a half mile from a Starbucks. No getting snowed in for the winter there.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: I almost ended up as part of the tour

Post by sparks » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 am

But, what about the maze Nyar, the maze???
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 07, 2018 6:35 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:The Stanley is on the edge of a thriving little tourist town, it was about 200 yards from a Safeway and maybe a half mile from a Starbucks. No getting snowed in for the winter there.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Mon May 07, 2018 6:37 am

"Danny boy?"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 am

sparks wrote:But, what about the maze Nyar, the maze???
Kind of a disappointment actually. There is indeed a hedge maze but the hedges are only about knee high. With a statue of F.O. Stanley (inventor of the Stanley Steamer...not to be confused with the Cleveland Steamer, which is something else entirely...and the man who built the hotel).

But the hotel itself was like staying in a museum. And I mean that as an absolute compliment.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 am

Doctor X wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:The Stanley is on the edge of a thriving little tourist town, it was about 200 yards from a Safeway and maybe a half mile from a Starbucks. No getting snowed in for the winter there.

--J.D.
Probably could have. Just hike down the hill a bit

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 am

Was there a bear blowing a distinguished gentleman?

I am asking for Anax. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 7:01 am

Alas for Anax, no.

The closest thing they had to anything paranormal going on, besides the tour, was a mentalist act which took on the trappings of a seance. Though they didn't try to pass it off as anything other than a rather unusually formatted magic show, so it didn't irritate the skeptic in me. And the guy was really good too.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 am

I look at that the same as Randi: good magic. The difference, as Randi has explained for decades, is when a magician tries to pretend that it is real.

Often, reality is more interesting than our impressions. For example, as Said Wee Spud, I was very disappointed to learn that all Uri Geller did was bend the fucking spoon when you were not looking. I then learned how much effort it is to distract someone to progressively bend it without them noticing it. THAT is impressive. "Cold Reading" for a seance takes a lot of work, as you know. I can appreciate that, unless the "medium" pretends "it is real."

--J.D.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon May 07, 2018 11:55 am

I had a roommate that was pretty good at cold reading. It wasn't done as part of an act. He usually did it to throw people off balance during an argument. Completely fallacious, of course, but they'd either be shocked he figured them out so well or at least pissed off that he'd make such bold assumptions that it would rattle them. Quite something to see in practice.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm

I was on the lookout for Cold Reading and I think a lot of his illusions used other methods (though I did spot it at one point in the act).

For instance, the very first trick he did, almost as a warm up, was take a deck of cards, Have someone in the audience shuffle them and then he spread them out on the table. He then picked five people from the audience and told them to go up and look at the cards, without touching any of them, just go up to the table, decide on a card and go back to their seat but remain standing. Then (ya know, for the seance part) picture some person who is now dead standing in the back of the room holding the card (and he instructed them that it should be a public figure, something on the lines of an actor they liked or a president they admired, not a person they had a personal connection to. I suspect this was to keep it out of Sylvia Brown vulture territory). He then looked over the cards, looked over the room, rattled off the names of five cards and told the people who picked cards to sit down if he named their cards. All five people sat down.

I suppose they could have been plants, but given that so many of his tricks worked that way, with different people each time, that would be a lot of plants in a small audience (and I was a volunteer in a later trick and I am sure I wasn't a plant). What I suspect, given that I never got to see the deck really, is that the deck was multiple copies of those five cards. Part of his instruction was that when you look over the deck you keep walking and don't stop. His explanation was that this was so he wasn't influenced by people's body language as they stopped to look at the cards. But It could also be so no one got a really good look at the deck.

The one I got to be part of was interesting too. His act developed along the lines where he was "communicating" with the "ghost" of a young lady named Lilly who used to summer at the hotel in the 1910s when it was a resort for wealthy socialites. And he was going to play "hide and seek" with her but since you can't play hide and seek with an invisible ghost, it had to be done a different way. He produced a bag and some marbles. He had an audience member verify that the bag was a normal bag and that there were five marbles in it, one black, four yellow. He then picked an audience member who picked another audience member and so on until five people had been picked (I was one of the ones picked), and had each pick a marble and hold it without looking at it.

Then he picked a sixth audience member and gave them a little bell, and had them hold it over a "spirit board" (while he talked about how those were used in 19th century seances). We each were instructed to say "Lilly I have the Black Marble" and when one person said it (not me) the bell rang. Finally we all opened our hands to reveal what marble we had and indeed the lady for whom the bell rang had the black one.

Lots of ways I can think of he could have made the bell ring, knowing which of us had the black marble was the tricky part I think. Not sure how. I assume it had to be in such a way that he controlled exactly who picked it and I am not sure how. I know the lady that did pick it was second to last to pick so (at least in theory) it wasn't a case where he kept it out and then put it in where the last person got it. Good trick either way

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 pm

gnome wrote:I had a roommate that was pretty good at cold reading. It wasn't done as part of an act. He usually did it to throw people off balance during an argument. Completely fallacious, of course, but they'd either be shocked he figured them out so well or at least pissed off that he'd make such bold assumptions that it would rattle them. Quite something to see in practice.
I think I am pretty good at it myself. In my younger days, though I had never heard the term "Cold reading" at that time, I would use it to try to impress dates with my "psychic powers". But even then I would tell them afterwards that I liked to play "Amateur Sherlock Holmes" and see what I could figure out about people from subtle cues. Sounds kind of creepy in retrospect, but I thought it was cool as fuck when I was 20.

I still like to play "amateur Sherlock Holmes" BTW, but I just do it in my own head for my own amusement, now, not to show off.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon May 07, 2018 4:11 pm

This place had the best seating area ever. I never wanted to leave. They almost had to just leave me be and make me part of the tour. It was awesome.
This could have been a promising new job opportunity. Maybe low pay but it isn't like you'd have to exert yourself!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 pm

"And over here we have a guest who checked in in 2018 and we have been unable to get him to leave the chair. Easier just to feed him. Wave at the fat man.

Now if you will follow me down the hall..."

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 am

Pleased that you had a nice stay. And it seems to have improved your mood… :wink: