The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness » Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 am

UK, but actually universal. I found it a fun read:

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 am

The Telegraph wrote:Legal battle over mystery 90-year-old bank account's £400m for the national debt

A bank account set up 90 years ago by a mystery donor to pay off the national debt is at the centre of a court battle, as the Government seeks permission to unlock its £400 million funds.

Nearly a century on from the fund being set up, the identity of the donor remains unknown and the fund untouched by the Government because of a quirk in the terms governing the money's release.

The terms of the bequest stipulated that it should be only used to pay off the entire national debt. However, despite growing 800-fold in value since the original £500,000 donation, the fund has never been sufficient to clear all of the nation's debt so has remained locked in the specially created National Fund.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -donation/ (rest behind paywall)

Drooling for 90 years, terrible! :lmao:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 am

The UK national debt is £1.786 trillion. Subtract £400 million from that, and that would leave, uh, about £1.786 trillion. You have to show more digits to even see the difference. It's only relevant in the 5th significant digit, which makes it essentially a rounding error.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed May 23, 2018 6:42 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri May 25, 2018 12:35 am

BBC wrote:Romanian becomes second most common non-UK nationality

The Office for National Statistics says the total number of Romanian nationals rose by 25% from 2016 to 2017, reaching 411,000.

Of the 65,176,000 residents in the UK, 6.2 million were non-UK nationals - up by 4%.

The number of people living in the UK but born abroad was up by 3% from 2016 - 9.4 million of the total population.
[…]
The figures show that 61% of the non-UK nationals number - or 3.8 million - are from the EU.
[…]
Poland remains the most common non-UK nationality, with an estimated one million Polish people living in the UK.

After Romania, third place goes to the Republic of Ireland, with 350,000 nationals in the UK.

India falls to fourth with 346,000 nationals in the UK - a place formerly held by Romania.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44235867

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun May 27, 2018 12:36 am

Witness wrote:UK, but actually universal. I found it a fun read:
[tweet-deleted][/tweet-deleted]
Rats! We've been fooled:
Media Guido wrote:Twitter users may have seen a viral thread posted yesterday by “Simon from Harlow”, a dad live-tweeting a school trip to the Science Museum gone wrong. Simon’s “hilarious” story featuring crying, vomiting and lost children was retweeted thousands of times, gained him 7,000 new followers and was reported by pretty much all major news outlets – it was even a page lead in The Times. Unfortunately Simon has since admitted he largely made the story up and has now deleted his account. He is refusing interviews but says he is “very sorry”, “no real children” were in danger, and the thread “got out of hand”.
https://order-order.com/2018/05/23/vira ... s-account/ :x

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue May 29, 2018 3:49 am

Local sport: Cheese Rolling.

Gloucestershire Live wrote:Records have fallen with champion cheese chaser and local hero Chris Anderson has won 21st cheese, beating Stephen Gyde's previous record of 20 wins.

The winners of each race, who need to reach the bottom of the 200 yard slope first, keep the 9lb cheese as a trophy and last year Chris went home with three.

The cheeses, specially made at Smart's Farm in Birdwood are released by the master of cheese at the top of the slope, then it is up to the racers to get to the bottom first, where if they are lucky they will be caught by the volunteers from Brockworth Rugby Club.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/w ... eo-1612894

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 am

Edited to adjust video formatting
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Poking around the Internet re. the Tommy Robinson affair and been astonished by two factoids:

1. Britain hasn't really a Constitution:
British Library wrote:Britain's unwritten constitution

For most people, especially abroad, the United Kingdom does not have a constitution at all in the sense most commonly used around the world — a document of fundamental importance setting out the structure of government and its relationship with its citizens. All modern states, saving only the UK, New Zealand and Israel, have adopted a documentary constitution of this kind, the first and most complete model being that of the United States of America in 1788. However, in Britain we certainly say that we have a constitution, but it is one that exists in an abstract sense, comprising a host of diverse laws, practices and conventions that have evolved over a long period of time. The key landmark is the Bill of Rights (1689), which established the supremacy of Parliament over the Crown following the forcible replacement of King James II (r.1685–88) by William III (r.1689–1702) and Mary (r.1689–94) in the Glorious Revolution (1688).

From a comparative perspective, we have what is known as an ‘unwritten constitution’, although some prefer to describe it as ‘uncodified’ on the basis that many of our laws of a constitutional nature are in fact written down in Acts of Parliament or law reports of court judgments. This aspect of the British constitution, its unwritten nature, is its most distinguishing characteristic.
https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/ ... nstitution

2. Citizenship is a complex affair:

Can't help but think it's convenient for fucking over little people… :|

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:20 pm

I'd thought that the UK's unwritten constitution was common knowledge.

I remember my secondary school teachers talking about its superiority over a written constitution as it was more flexible. With the benefit of hindsight and the changes to in the uk, I agree that it is certainly more flexible.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:46 pm

An "unwritten constitution" == a gentlemen's agreement not to be beastly.

Even in better times, it's not much.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Giz wrote:I'd thought that the UK's unwritten constitution was common knowledge.
Not everybody here is from Sassenagh territory… :mrgreen:

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:32 pm

"Upskirting" law blocked by Tory MP.

I'd never heard of upskirting before but it's apparently the practice of taking photographs of women's unmentionables beneath their skirts without their consent. How this can be done is beyond me but there you go; we Brits are nothing if not ingenious.
A bid to make upskirting a criminal offence has been blocked by a Tory MP to cries of “shame” in the House of Commons.

The government had given its backing to the Voyeurism (Offences) Bill but Conservative Sir Christopher Chope shouted “object” during its second reading on Friday.

Several MPs heckled the 71-year-old Christchurch MP during his intervention on Friday afternoon, including the minister for women Victoria Atkins and fellow Tory Will Quince.

Upskirting to be made criminal offence under proposed law

A spokesperson for the House of Commons indicated that time for the reading, when MPs are invited to debate a bill, had been limited because of other parliamentary business.

Rules mean that after 2.30pm on a Friday a single objection can stop a bill progressing.

Gina Martin, who launched the campaign to make upskirting a specific criminal offence, said she was “extremely upset and disappointed”.

“We knew this was a risk, but I now stand with powerful, passionate women and men behind me and am confident that [justice minister] Lucy Frazer is committed to – and will – close this gap in law,” she said.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:we Brits are nothing if not ingenious.
I thought it was more of a Japanese thing… :?

Anyway:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Witness wrote:
asthmatic camel wrote:we Brits are nothing if not ingenious.
I thought it was more of a Japanese thing… :?

Shhh, don't let the cat out of the bag! :x

I'm pretty sure there's already a specific law against it here.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 am

Because Your Teacher You Did NOT Fantasize About in 6th Form cannot more formally introduce it.

Sort of . . . like . . . make it a part of the Old Girl's Speech 'n all.

Facetious, yes, but Cameron got t3h gh3yz marriage passed with help from the LSD [Stop that!--Ed.] wing of the coalition and a lot of Labour that was not too busy denouncing Jews.

Seems kind of an easy one. One that the only question is how much Your Teacher You [Get on with it!--Ed.] St. Theresa and Mad Jeremy can [CENSORED--Ed.] themselves over how much more in support of NOT FUCKING TAKING PICTURES OF THE UNMENTIONABLES OF WOMEN WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT FUCKING OR NOT!

--J. "I'm JUST as Against Photographing Genitals as YOU asthmatic!" D.

P.S. Of course I like to reply to you.
P.P.S. Of course I like to write "hello!"
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:57 am

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 am

UKIP == party of trolls?

Not only Sargon and Count Dankula, but creepy old Milo are officially welcomed to the party.

Is Milo a citizen of the UK now, or what?

Publicity hounds just can't give it up. :cowbell:

Edited to adjust video formatting
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:22 am

Giz wrote:I'd thought that the UK's unwritten constitution was common knowledge.

I remember my secondary school teachers talking about its superiority over a written constitution as it was more flexible. With the benefit of hindsight and the changes to in the uk, I agree that it is certainly more flexible.
When I was taking a World History 101 class in college, our instructor told us that he would give us an automatic 'A' in the class if we could show that we had read the entire British Constitution.

Little did most of us realize that it was a trick.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!