The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The UK thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue May 15, 2018 12:27 pm

gnome wrote: Not exactly.
Aw shoot.

And here I was cooking up a good denunciatory rant. :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 pm

gnome wrote:
ed wrote:
gnome wrote:
ed wrote:
In some cases I would offer to transfer official ownership to the native country, but secure an agreement for it to remain on display where it is.
Thats called "keeping it".
Maybe close. It also acknowledges the owning country's ability to make a repatriation claim, but voluntarily withholding it. It may not make much difference to the visitors of the museum, but I would think it makes a difference to the native country whether it is voluntary or against their wishes.
Difference how? Their feelings aren't hurt?
In diplomatic relations sometimes that can make all the difference. Symbolic meanings, saving face, all the things that smooth over decisions on emotive topics made for mostly practicality.
I think that once you make that offer, you have relinquished the high ground and acknowledged that the right thing to do is to return ownership. Probably a bad idea.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

gnome wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:U.K. schools getting rid of analog clocks because teens "cannot tell time"

I wonder if analog clocks will be an antique curiosity in the future.

If kids can't tell time using an analog clock, isn't some sort of remedial education in order? Make it a subject in 1st grade. Educate the students, don't make accommodations for their ignorance.
Not exactly.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/schoo ... og-clocks/
Kids these days, they're soft, SOFT I tell you!! :evil:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Giz wrote:
gnome wrote:
ed wrote:
gnome wrote:
ed wrote:
In some cases I would offer to transfer official ownership to the native country, but secure an agreement for it to remain on display where it is.
Maybe close. It also acknowledges the owning country's ability to make a repatriation claim, but voluntarily withholding it. It may not make much difference to the visitors of the museum, but I would think it makes a difference to the native country whether it is voluntary or against their wishes.
In diplomatic relations sometimes that can make all the difference. Symbolic meanings, saving face, all the things that smooth over decisions on emotive topics made for mostly practicality.
I think that once you make that offer, you have relinquished the high ground and acknowledged that the right thing to do is to return ownership. Probably a bad idea.
Not at all. Especially if you can get the parties to agree that your museum is a good place for it---it is now displayed on their say so instead of yours. Easier for them to promote the idea at home.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

gnome wrote:
Giz wrote:
gnome wrote:
ed wrote:
gnome wrote:
ed wrote:
Not at all. Especially if you can get the parties to agree that your museum is a good place for it---it is now displayed on their say so instead of yours. Easier for them to promote the idea at home.
Really? You concede that the other country is the rightful owner and you don’t think that will give them moral leverage to go to the public/Twitter etc and campaign on a ‘they have already acknowledged that we are the rightful owners but they refuse to return it!’

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 pm

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Giz wrote:
Really? You concede that the other country is the rightful owner and you don’t think that will give them moral leverage to go to the public/Twitter etc and campaign on a ‘they have already acknowledged that we are the rightful owners but they refuse to return it!’
This is the opposite from the situation I propose--I'm suggesting it would be useful in a situation where the origin country could be willing to make that agreement. If they want nothing other than repatriation obviously such a deal would be useless.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri May 18, 2018 3:19 am

Chris Naylor mows Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's face in grass
Some dude on reddit wrote:People at work were planning their days around the TV coverage of the wedding. They asked me what i was doing and i said i couldn't care less about the royal wedding and they all looked at me like i just murdered a puppy. Glad i'm off work Monday so i don't have to hear about it.
There's something Pyrrho-esque about that. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 am

The Guardian wrote:State takes back control of east coast mainline

The London-Edinburgh-Inverness service will be taken back into public control on 24 June, a little over three years since Virgin Trains East Coast (Vtec) started running. It will be rebranded as the London and North Eastern Railway.

The transport secretary, Chris Grayling, told the House of Commons that after a “finely balanced” assessment by civil servants, he had decided to appoint the “operator of last resort” – a group led by the firm Arup and under government control – to run the service, rather than allow Stagecoach and Virgin to continue under fresh terms.

Grayling said: “The route continues to generate substantial returns for the government. It is not a failing railway ... However, Virgin and Stagecoach got their bids wrong.”

He insisted taxpayers had not lost out, adding: “Only Vtec and its parent companies have made losses at this time ... We cannot expect companies to take on unlimited liabilities otherwise they would not bid for franchises.”

Despite the firms now avoiding up to £2bn in premium payments after the failure of the franchise, Grayling said “it would not be reasonable to place conditions” on Stagecoach or Virgin bidding for further rail services. He said: “They have paid a high financial and reputational price.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... stagecoach

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun May 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Scotland will consider independence vote after Brexit clarity, says Sturgeon
Politico
Nicola Sturgeon will consider another vote on independence when Westminster offers greater certainty on Brexit, Scotland’s first minister said Sunday.

“Once we get some clarity, which hopefully we will in autumn of this year, about the Brexit outcome and the future relationship between the U.K and the EU, then I will consider again the question of the timing of an independence referendum,” she said on ITV ’s Peston on Sunday program.

Sturgeon also said her Scottish National Party would not block a vote on any Brexit final deal, but worried about what would happen if the different parts of the U.K voted for different outcomes in the same way they did in 2016.

In the Brexit referendum, Scotland voted in favor of the U.K staying in the EU by 62 percent to 38 percent.

Sturgeon said after that vote that Scotland had delivered a “strong, unequivocal vote” to remain in the EU.

Edited to adjust video formatting
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 am

Fid

Post by Fid » Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 am

Witness wrote:
Chris Naylor mows Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's face in grass
Some dude on reddit wrote:People at work were planning their days around the TV coverage of the wedding. They asked me what i was doing and i said i couldn't care less about the royal wedding and they all looked at me like i just murdered a puppy. Glad i'm off work Monday so i don't have to hear about it.
There's something Pyrrho-esque about that. :mrgreen:
I done 'tole ya and 'tole ya Pyrrho get that damn mower deck fixed or replaced otherwise every parody grass mowing will have a moustache.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 am

'I'm proud to be a feminist': Duchess of Sussex announces herself on royal website (That's Meghan Markle's new title if anyone cares)

Because marrying a prince is such a feminist thing to aspire to, right? :twisted:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 am

When is the divorce scheduled?

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 am

Of course, as per usual the best coverage of the royal wedding was provided by America's Finest News Source:

https://www.theonion.com/tag/royal-wedding
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 am

Heh! I was just going to post:

Royal Wedding Photographer Feeling Pretty Guilty About Time He Ran Princess Di Off Road

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Meghan Markle’s nephew uses Trump as excuse for trying to bring knife into club
NY Post
Meghan Markle’s nephew was nabbed trying to bring a knife into a London nightclub hours after her royal wedding, according to a new report.

“He was going on about was how he’d brought it from America because Donald Trump had said London wasn’t safe,” according to a witness.

Security staff, meanwhile, called the police.

Prediction: News of Meghan Markle’s relatives' misbehavior will be a massive genre in years to come.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Full hi-def version.

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 am

WildCat wrote:Full hi-def version.
Thanks. I just fear it's a bit long for our attention span. :mrgreen: (These guys should really learn to edit their vids – goes for a lot of the stuff on YT.)

As an aside, I'm always astonished how a car can bring up a very special kind of dumbth… (And as an aside in the aside, is it the same, mutatis mutandis, with guns? A subject I know nothing about.)