Scotch Whiskey thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Scotch Whiskey thread

Postby Doctor X » Sun May 28, 2017 8:03 am

"'Scotch?!' That's a person! It's "whisky!'"

--Neil Clapperton, Caddenhead's Malt Whisky Shop, Edinburgh

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon May 29, 2017 3:31 am

sparks wrote:Impressions and opinions please!

I live to serve. :wink:

First be warned that I'm not a Speyside guy – it's Islay for me (peat, smoke, sea…).

So I took notes (which was fun in itself) during the ~ half hour I sipped on that glass. And things changed a lot.

First impression: On the nose – floor wax, saddlery grease, putty perhaps; in the mouth – mostly alcohol, not much to taste (and that after 22 years!).

After that: The aroma went successively through peach – tar – toffee (mostly) – licorice – candy shop (my friend, who has a better nose than mine, also smelled aniseed and mint, but I could detect none of that); on the tongue, still nothing much (my friend commented "tastes like gin"!), or to be more precise, nothing different from the smell – we concluded "powerful but hollow".

Not very thrilling, I wouldn't buy a bottle. As for the "double cask", I've seen it mentioned as "a cheap Speyside", so beware.

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 am

@ sparks (and others): it would be nice a good idea to keep this thread alive…

Only for health reasons, of course!
Spoiler:

See? Proof! :mrgreen:

OK, it's a "blended", I'll show myself out…

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 am

More rotgut!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 am

Some blends can be very good indeed. But my palate prefers a single cask.

Now then: Anyone here heard of 'Middleton'? It's been recommended. Can't find it (at least not easily).
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 31, 2017 6:04 am

"Midleton," and 'tis an Irish whisky done by Jamesons.

Rather nice that.

Very nice.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Wed May 31, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks Doc! :)

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 31, 2017 7:18 am

True Story: I had an "in" for poitín. I would receive regular supplies, but then I had to move to a completely different time zone.

corp's Me Mum decided to travel to Éire, and she asked me what I wanted. I asked for, basically, poitín, as in whatever "local" stuff could be had. Not expecting corp's Me Mum to delve too far into illegal distilleries, I accepted--being Humble Yet MagNIfIcent--her to obtain standard whiskies.

She returned.

"I could not find any."

In Éire Ireland, she could not find whisky. That is like saying you went to Germany and could not find beer, or Japan and could not find pedophiles!

It just so happens we watched Waking Ned Divine. Now I am become Barry Scheck, unmaker of Marcia Clark: I kept stopping the movie to scream "THERE! Mr. Fong . . . er . . . Mum!" pointing out every fakin' bottle that appeared, and there were many.

corp's Me Mum took notes.

The next journey she returned with Midleton "based on recommendations" and I cannot praise it too highly. No one could drink more than two drams--not because it "was t3h d34dly"--it is just after two you feel really good and have no need to become stupid.

--J.D.

sparks

Postby sparks » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks again. Now that I know where to look for it, I shall. And upon finding it, I'll report my observations.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 31, 2017 8:37 am

I do not think you will be disappointed. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised since it is "something" a major distiller--Jamesons--produced.

When I were a Wee Spud unencumber'd by gnosis of uisge beatha Image, I heard a wise but addled musician declare that Royal Salute was the "greatest" whisky in existence. We were at a bar, so he obtained access to it.

A man with some sophistication declared it "plasticy"--it tasted "like plastic." Indeed it did. This was a clear case of Emperor's New Clothes. I soon realized that a lot of blended "whiskies" were over-priced Bud Lite.

So I became an Advocate of Single Malts. Image

Clearly, only an Uneducated Peon Who Drinks Corona Lite[Tm.--Ed.] {Lite?} [With the urea removed.--Ed.] would drink a blended "scotch."

Then I was enlightened on the concept of single malt--which is a blend of whisky from a particular distillery, brought down to about 46%--cold filtered so the 'muricans can add ice without it turning cloudy!--and often adulterated with a bit of brown sugar to give it color! Far superior, then, is the single cask whisky. ImageImage

Granted, that may be from a cask and then cold filtered and brought down to about 46%.

"Only pussies like the mens corps's Mom whips drink watered down whisky!" I declared to no one since I was alone in an unfurnished room at the time. A few mice may have remarked on the event.

I then learned that "cask-strength" whisky which can run >60% should not be drank at that. By bringing down the alcohol to ~46% you bring out a bunch of flavors. Seriously, As Real Men with Manly Men Things Man Manly Not Gay No, we ["We?"--Ed.] tend to equate higher alcamahol content with penis size and corps' Mom's satisfaction. Really, you have to bring it down or the alcohol overwhelms the flavor.

"Flavor? I thought pure alcomahol did not have a 'flavor?!'" Yeah, but it is the burning that overwhelms the taste. Pure Alcohol needs something.

In other words, it is all a journey that proves delightful to travel. Thus, I went a bit "full circle" and realized that Big Distilleries--while they may produce blended crap and all of that--also have some good stuff. Whisky is a bit like sherry in that it is blended to make a standard. Single-cask whisky may be good . . . it can also suck, but most will not sell "suck" as such, they will use it in blends.

So while Midleton is technically a blend from a Big Distillery, it is a fantastic job. While I may turn my nose up at "blended" whiskies, I do not mind my Macallan, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, or others that are not "cask strength."

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:05 am

sparks wrote:Now that I know where to look for it, I shall. And upon finding it, I'll report my observations.

We count on it.

From what I googled, there's a bewildering variety of "Midleton(s)" (but most seem unavailable) with a corresponding price range. See e. g. http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/midleton-irish-whiskey-distillery/Midleton-Irish-Whiskey.

Next time I'm out I'll give it a try – if possible.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:50 am

ed wrote:I used to like Armagnac far more than cognac. Though there appeared to be a very bright line between cheap and expensive Armagnac that did not seem apparent with Cognac. That is to say that the quality of Cognac seemed to improve in a linear fashion with price whereas Arg. was shit until you got to the expensive stuff.

Indeed. One of the differences is that armagnac vineyards occupy ~ 11 000 ha, versus 74 486 ha for cognac. Another is that cognac is much more an export product, so has to be bought by a wide spectrum of customers.
And third cognac is double distilled, while armagnac is very raw and needs a long stay in barrels to get tamed (so if you save on that…). Here is a short technical comparison: http://www.brandyclassics.com/news/2016/06/the-difference-between-armagnac-and-cognac-production/.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:18 am

Bunch of slackers! :x

↑ I asked the barman to surprise me with an Islay. So he gave me an "unpeated style".

Smelled strongly of cherries. Yet it appears it wasn't aged in cherry casks (which I still doubt somehow).

Very strong, with some wood, undergrowth smell, mushrooms perhaps (?) but lots of alcohol. A sip's taste decreases slowly, some smoke, perhaps a hint of something like (red) wine. (The first sip reminded me of caramel, but that disappeared, as did the cherries.) Hints of sea, salt, what I would call iodine.

Globally smooth, but intense. Slight tendency to taste like an old cognac.

Wouldn't make it my favorite Islay (I definitely need peat), but an interesting experience.

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:52 am

balvenie-17-year-old-doublewood-whisky.jpg

I'd just completed a difficult task at work in record time and one of the crew (who realizes how to grease an engineer) whips a bottle of this on me: Balvenie 17 year old double wood.

Damn. You know. Just damn! Now that is some really good Whisky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carr
Title: Floor Walker

Postby Carr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:44 am

Any man who puts ice in it spends a month in the box!
Any man who don't keep order spends a night in the box!

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Latest tasting:

Preparing the future:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:13 am

Tel Aviv distillery to sell off Israel's first single malt whiskey
The Jerusalem Post

... The distillery is unloading its first "experimental series" of the spirit, aged only three years, by offering 100 bottles in an online auction and another 291 bottles are being sold locally. ... The country, for example, has a hot and humid climate which he said speeds up the whiskey's maturation. It matures as much as two and half times faster than Scotch, the company says.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 am

rotgut
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 am

shemp wrote:rotgut

So nu Bubbee ... :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 am

Very pleasant! :)

Return to “Banter”