'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: 'Murica

Postby Witness » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 am

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 am

The Stars and Stripes is larger and on top, so all is in compliance with the flag code. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The Stars and Stripes is larger and on top, so all is in compliance with the flag code. 8)

Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:The Stars and Stripes is larger and on top, so all is in compliance with the flag code. 8)

Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

It's not an "advertising sign", it's the banner of a merchant vassal. :P

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 pm

The Golden Showers Arches is a registered trademark and as such, etc.

Merchant Republic Vassals be damned. :P
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 am

(replaced with similar image)

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:16 am

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:40 pm

BuzzFeed wrote:In Closed-Door UN Meetings, Trump Administration Officials Pushed Abstinence For International Women’s Health Programs

In closed-door meetings at the United Nations in March, Trump administration officials pushed socially conservative views on women’s rights issues — including abstinence-based policies over information about contraception — that were further to the right than those expressed by most other countries present, including Russia and the representative for the Arab states, UN officials who attended the meetings told BuzzFeed News.

The Trump officials’ approach at the UN meeting makes it clear that the administration intends to extend its views on abortion, contraception, and sexual education beyond US borders to an extent that is unusual even for Republican administrations.

The comments came during the annual UN Commission on the Status of Women, a two-week session described by a spokesperson for the US Mission to the United Nations as the UN’s “most important meeting on women’s empowerment.” The main event is a closed-door negotiation on language to include in an annual UN document that sets global standards and outlines potential policies pertaining to gender equality efforts in all member countries.

Early in this series of meetings, Bethany Kozma — a senior adviser for gender equality and women’s empowerment at the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and anti-transgender activist — emphasized that the US was a “pro-life nation,” sparking a strong reaction from delegates in the room, two officials in the room confirmed to BuzzFeed News.
[…]
According to the delegates, the Trump officials discussed “sexual risk avoidance” programs — a coded term for encouraging teenagers to delay sex until marriage — and told the group that HHS was conducting research to show these tactics helps lower teen pregnancy and STD rates, the delegates said.

Huber also discussed teaching young women sexual “refusal skills,” Torres and two other sources confirmed.

Details: https://www.buzzfeed.com/emaoconnor/un-meeting-trump-administration-abstinence?utm_term=.meY7DGZ4L#.og5bQgrPv

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13 pm

:mrgreen:

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue May 01, 2018 4:13 pm

xouper

Postby xouper » Tue May 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Witness wrote:Image

:mrgreen:

That's a requirement imposed on the NRA by the Secret Service. Otherwise the NRA normally allows guns at their events.

Some (gun control advocates) have complained that the NRA is being hypocritical by saying the solution to school shootings is more good guys with guns and then banning guns at their own events.

Sorry, but no hypocrisy there. At this NRA event there will be plenty of guns there, but only in the hands of the Secret Service.

There is no hypocrisy in saying the solution is armed security in both schools and at an NRA event.

If you want an example of hypocrisy, then look at the celebrities who say schools should not have armed security, and yet those same celebrities often have armed security for themselves. If schools should not have armed security, then neither should the entertainment industry awards events. Let's see how long that lasts. There's your hypocrisy.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Tue May 01, 2018 4:48 pm

If it wasn't 2018, I'd say that was an Onion piece.

(referencing the Brian Kemp bullshit)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 pm

One of the reasons I quit the NRA (back in the 1990s) was they were too palsy-walsy with politicians who had too much other-than-RKBA baggage.

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 pm

xouper wrote:That's a requirement […] hypocrisy.
Well aware of all that. Just irony. :wink:

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 am

Oh no! I can't live without it!

Tabasco Sauce Is in a Battle For Its Very Survival

Row after row of blackened wood barrels are piled 30 feet high in a dim warehouse on Avery Island in southern Louisiana. Harold “Took” Osborn leads me through the endless stacks, in a setting reminiscent of the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The recycled bourbon casks are filled with Tabasco mash, laid to rest for three years until they’re ready to become the signature condiment. Some of the barrels are bubbling with the gaseous byproducts of the aging process. The air is thick with the smell of pepper, vinegar, and salt. We are both coughing.

“Deer conglomerate here when the mosquitos get really bad,” Osborn tells me, explaining that that the vapors are powerful enough to drive away the bugs.

Osborn is the executive Vice President of McIlhenny, the company behind Tabasco, and the great-great grandson of Edmund McIlhenny, who first concocted the popular pepper sauce on Avery Island in the 1860s. He started working for Tabasco as a kid in the 1970s (unofficially, and discreetly paid). Although they now produce more Tabasco sauce in one day than Edmund McIlhenny made in his entire life, the process has transitioned to mass production with few alterations.
[…]
Even though it’s only 152 feet above sea level at its peak, Avery Island is one the highest points in the Gulf Coast. A two hour drive west of New Orleans, it sits atop an enormous salt dome that bulges from the earth, elevating the land above the swamps and bayous that surround it. A generation ago, it was unthinkable that this natural fortress could be overcome by water. But Hurricane Rita’s threatening surges were a symptom of an immense shift in the Gulf Coast, the result of decades of harsh land use practices and climate change.

“The waters are rising,” Osborn says.

Now, the McIlhennys are fighting to save the island to which their family history and business are inextricably linked.

Louisiana is losing land at a rate of one football field every 100 minutes. The marshes that provide a buffer between the coast and the temperamental Gulf of Mexico are falling apart, exposing the cities and towns of Southern Louisiana to the direct blow of storm surges. “If you don’t have marsh and natural systems out ahead to knock down that surge, you’re just a sitting duck,” says Randy Moertle, a longtime biologist and the land manager of Avery Island.

The Mississippi River once reinforced the swamps and marshes with its excess freshwater and the tons of sediment it carried. But this process was inhibited when levees were constructed to contain the river and prevent flooding, a project that ramped up significantly in the mid-19th century. Today, Louisiana’s Flood Protection Authority estimates there are roughly 1,000 miles of flood control structures along the entire length of the river and its tributaries.

Industry has also taken its toll. Since the early 20th century, tens of thousands of miles of wetlands have been dredged to build canals and lay oil and gas pipelines. The dredging changed the delicate hydrology of the wetlands and carved paths for saltwater intrusion, which kills the freshwater vegetation holding the land together. Some of the canals have naturally tripled in width since they were built, eroding their banks over time.
https://earther.com/tabasco-sauce-is-in-a-battle-for-its-very-survival-1825510123

:x

xouper

Postby xouper » Wed May 02, 2018 2:06 am

Witness wrote:
xouper wrote:That's a requirement […] hypocrisy.

Well aware of all that. Just irony. :wink:

Thanks for clarifying that. I was just guessing about your motive since you added no commentary of your own. And because I was guessing, I tried not to impugn any unsavory motives on your part.

I just wanted to make it clear that it was not the NRA that banned guns from their event, it was the Secret Service.

Which puts the lie to headlines like these from the liberal mainstream media:

And yet those media wonder why most people don't trust them anymore.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri May 04, 2018 11:29 pm

I can't tell what that is.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 04, 2018 11:39 pm

A bald eagle carrying off some prey.

Maybe a small dog?

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat May 05, 2018 2:32 am

:roll:

That's clearly some waterfowl (the prey, of course). The video is blurry and I don't know Murican birds, but to me it looks like a merganser:

Return to “Banter”