Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 am

Doctor X wrote:Including the edible baonzsai?

--J.D.

The bonsai is edible?

*checks*

No, as I suspected, read the story carefully:

Although the images on the menu made it look like the bonsai pine tree branches were inserted into the dessert, Mr Sato was happy to find that this wasn’t the case. Instead, the pine tree decoration sat gracefully on the side of the tray, creating patterns in the light, which became more and more pleasant to look at as he tasted the dessert.

Not so uncommon with Japanese food that it may come with some sort of decoration that is not to be eaten.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Instead, the pine tree decoration sat gracefully on the side of the tray, creating patterns in the light, which became more and more pleasant to look at as he tasted the dessert.

So you have bonsai that you can place next to your Hamby ice cream in order to create patterns in the light?

Not so uncommon with Japanese food that it may come with some sort of decoration that is not to be eaten.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:06 am

Well, it's probably high in fiber at least.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 am

"Hi. I'm Ewell Gibbons. Ever eat a pine cone? Many parts are edible. Of course, I'm fucking dead as a stone now, so ... carry on sinners."
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:51 am

Kind of historic cosplay:

Japanese nurse, Russo-Japanese war (1905).

Some more from the "Thousand Contemporary Figures" series of postcards: http://www.mfa.org/search?search_api_views_fulltext=thousand%20contemporary%20figures%20japanese&f%5B0%5D=type%3Aobject

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:09 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

shuize

Postby shuize » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:12 am

I'm going to say "Would have."

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:18 am

Hit on an old article:
The Telegraph wrote:How the Yakuza went nuclear

[snip]
Approximately 40 minutes after the shocks, the tsunami reached the power plant and knocked out the electrical systems. Japan’s Nuclear Industrial Safety Agency (Nisa) had warned Tepco about safety violations and problems at the plant days before the earthquake; they’d been warned about the possibility of a tsunami hitting the plant for years.

The denials began almost immediately. “There has been no meltdown,” government spokesman Yukio Edano intoned in the days after March 11. “It was an unforeseeable disaster,” Tepco’s then president Masataka Shimizu chimed in. As we now know, the meltdown was already taking place. And the disaster was far from unforeseeable.

Tepco has long been a scandal-ridden company, caught time and time again covering up data on safety lapses at their power plants, or doctoring film footage which showed fissures in pipes. How was the company able to get away with such long-standing behaviour? According to an explosive book recently published in Japan, they owe it to what the author, Tomohiko Suzuki, calls “Japan’s nuclear mafia… A conglomeration of corrupt politicians and bureaucrats, the shady nuclear industry, their lobbyists…” And at the centre of it all stands Japan’s actual mafia: the yakuza.

It might surprise the Western reader that gangsters are involved in Japan’s nuclear industry and even more that they would risk their lives in a nuclear crisis. But the yakuza roots in Japanese society are very deep. In fact, they were some of the first responders after the earthquake, providing food and supplies to the devastated area and patrolling the streets to make sure no looting occurred.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-in/9084151/How-the-Yakuza-went-nuclear.html

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 am

The author of Shingeki no Kyojin ran into another artist and quickly drew him a picture of Mikasa enjoying that artist's latest work.

No word on whether or not it is Eiren slash-fiction. . . .

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 am

The Great Walls of Japan

https://widerimage.reuters.com/story/af ... -walled-in

The 12.5-metre (41-ft) concrete wall replaced a 4-metre breakwater that was swamped in the March 11, 2011 disaster. The earthquake and tsunami, which reached as high as 30 metres in some areas, killed nearly 18,000 people across Japan and triggered a nuclear meltdown at the Fukushima power plant.

"It feels like we're in jail, even though we haven't done anything bad," the 52-year-old said.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:16 pm

The walls are kind of an eyesore and it may be 1000 years before there's another tsunami like that, or the next one might be farther south. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:31 pm

shuize

Postby shuize » Tue May 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Pyrrho wrote:The Great Walls of Japan

The 12.5-metre (41-ft) concrete wall replaced a 4-metre breakwater that was swamped in the March 11, 2011 disaster.

Why do I suspect that some local Japanese politician knew someone in the wall building business who somehow managed to forget a couple of bags of cash in his office on the way to the bank? It's not like that's the script for every single Japanese corruption scandal ever or anything.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue May 01, 2018 12:57 pm

shuize wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:The Great Walls of Japan

The 12.5-metre (41-ft) concrete wall replaced a 4-metre breakwater that was swamped in the March 11, 2011 disaster.

Why do I suspect that some local Japanese politician knew someone in the wall building business who somehow managed to forget a couple of bags of cash in his office on the way to the bank? It's not like that's the script for every single Japanese corruption scandal ever or anything.

Some 395km (245 miles) of walls have been built at a cost of 1.35 trillion yen ($12.74 billion).

That works out to about $10,000 per linear foot; $250 per square foot. How thick is it?

shuize

Postby shuize » Tue May 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Some 395km (245 miles) of walls have been built at a cost of 1.35 trillion yen ($12.74 billion).

Once upon a time, I had a rough idea of Japan's debt to GDP ratio. Then I realized a couple of things: First, I was happier not knowing. Second, since I have a (small) income stream overseas, if things ever got really bad here in Japan and the yen tanked, a skewed exchange rate could mean I wouldn't have to work anymore.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

shuize wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:Some 395km (245 miles) of walls have been built at a cost of 1.35 trillion yen ($12.74 billion).

Once upon a time, I had a rough idea of Japan's debt to GDP ratio. Then I realized a couple of things: First, I was happier not knowing. Second, since I have a (small) income stream overseas, if things ever got really bad here in Japan and the yen tanked, a skewed exchange rate could mean I wouldn't have to work anymore.

If those secondary income streams are based out of the U.S., please remember we too are building our own silly wall to stem the tide of a different type'. I suspect it too will have all sorts of windows.

shuize

Postby shuize » Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Rob Lister wrote:If those secondary income streams are based out of the U.S., please remember we too are building our own silly wall to stem the tide of a different type'. I suspect it too will have all sorts of windows.

I heard a podcast recently, I think it was Radiolab, that discussed how the Clinton administration changed how the US policed its border from a "defense in depth" approach (grabbing as many illegals inside the US as possible), to a "goal line defense" that purposely funneled them away from population centers to let the mountains and deserts do their work for them. Out of sight, out of mind, you see. Based on bodies recovered, they said around 10,000 have died since the policy change, but the show also spent a fair amount of time explaining that since the desert environment "disappears" bodies, the actual number may be much, much higher. It was obvious one goal of the program was to make listeners feel bad about this situation. But more than "sad," I found myself thinking, "You know, maybe we can take a page out of Slick Willie's playbook and get the job done without having to build the whole thing."

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 02, 2018 8:47 pm

You could, but it would be stuck to his other pages. . . .

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 am

@spectatorindex

JAPAN: Bus drivers in Okayama have gone on strike, by continuing to drive their routes while refusing to take fares from passengers.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am

While apologizing for it.

--J.D.

Return to “Banter”