200 Dead On Everest

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

200 Dead On Everest

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm

There are regular reminders in the news just how dangerous climbing Mt. Everest can be, but Smithsonian drives that point home with a look at some of the mountain's more tragic stories. More than 200 people have died on its frozen slopes, and many have ended up preserved in the ice where they fell. And, in a somewhat macabre revelation, the magazine notes that some are even used by climbers as landmarks. It specifically references "Green Boots," an Indian climber who froze to death near a mountain cave in 1996. His body is used as a marker for climbers to determine how far along they are.

Green Boots was joined by David Sharp a decade later. The English climber stopped at the cave where he actually froze in place, immobile but still alive. Some 40 climbers passed him, many possibly assuming he was Green Boots. When someone finally heard his faint moans, it was too later to save him. There's a full (and gruesome) gallery of many bodies on Everest at the website Altered Dimensions.
You really need to click the link for Altered Dimensions.

http://www.altereddimensions.net/places ... erest.aspx

Macabre but worth the click.

If I was a climber and I saw Mr. Greenboots, I'd turn around and head for the rock climbing wall at the local athletic store. I'd never get past that checkpoint. I might check him for jewelry though.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Re: 200 Dead On Everest

Post by Bruce » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:01 am

Francys Arseniev, an American women who fell while climbing with a group (that included her husband), pleaded with passerby's to save her. Climbing down the side of a steep section of the mountain, her husband noticed she was missing. Knowing that he did not have enough oxygen to reach her and return to base camp, he chose to turn back to find his wife anyway. He fell to his death in the attempt to climb down and reach his dying wife. Two other climbers did successfully reach her but knew carrying her out was not an option. They comforted her for a while before leaving her to die. Feeling great remorse, they returned eight years later vowing to find the body and enshrine it in an American flag.
Well, that's fucking depressing. :(
Such potential!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:25 am

Never understood the need to climb great big, fuck off rocks.

Why? I mean can't people stay at home and read a book instead?

It's not as though it hasn't been done before.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Ronin

Post by Ronin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:00 am

Read the book Into Thin Air, interesting subject and pretty fascinating.

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 am

Pretty brutal.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:17 pm

At 26,000 feet, in the “death zone”, necrosis sets in and their body begins to die. During their ascent, the climber is literally teetering on the brink of life and death and in a race to reach the summit (and back) before their bodies shut down and die. Should they fail in the attempt, their bodies become part of the mountain.
Necrosis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrosis
1. Coagulative necrosis is characterized by the formation of a gelatinous (gel-like) substance in dead tissues in which the architecture of the tissue is maintained,[4] and can be observed by light microscopy. Coagulation occurs as a result of protein denaturation, causing the albumin in protein to form a firm and opaque state.[3] This pattern of necrosis is typically seen in hypoxic (low-oxygen) environments, such as infarction. Coagulative necrosis occurs primarily in tissues such the kidney, heart and adrenal glands.[3] Severe ischemia most commonly causes necrosis of this form.[5]
So you literally become a walking zombie while you're in the death zone, until you either escape the death zone or.....stop.....forever.
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Bruce wrote:
At 26,000 feet, in the “death zone”, necrosis sets in and their body begins to die. During their ascent, the climber is literally teetering on the brink of life and death and in a race to reach the summit (and back) before their bodies shut down and die. Should they fail in the attempt, their bodies become part of the mountain.
Necrosis?

1. Coagulative necrosis is characterized by the formation of a gelatinous (gel-like) substance in dead tissues in which the architecture of the tissue is maintained,[4] and can be observed by light microscopy. Coagulation occurs as a result of protein denaturation, causing the albumin in protein to form a firm and opaque state.[3] This pattern of necrosis is typically seen in hypoxic (low-oxygen) environments, such as infarction. Coagulative necrosis occurs primarily in tissues such the kidney, heart and adrenal glands.[3] Severe ischemia most commonly causes necrosis of this form.[5]
So you literally become a walking zombie while you're in the death zone, until you either escape the death zone or.....stop.....forever.
I wonder if that explanation is scientifically accurate. The main dangers are the cold and the thin air (lack of oxygen), right? I suppose you could say that your body begins to die when it lacks sufficient oxygen so maybe there is some truth to that.

People really should not do this. Besides the risk of dying, I don't like the idea of my remains remaining up there like that. I suppose it shouldn't make any difference to you if you're dead, but the idea creeps me out nonetheless (not getting a proper burial or whatever).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Necrosis?

I wonder if that explanation is scientifically accurate. The main dangers are the cold and the thin air (lack of oxygen), right? I suppose you could say that your body begins to die when it lacks sufficient oxygen so maybe there is some truth to that.

People really should not do this. Besides the risk of dying, I don't like the idea of my remains remaining up there like that. I suppose it shouldn't make any difference to you if you're dead, but the idea creeps me out nonetheless (not getting a proper burial or whatever).
Yea, but in 15,000 years, some scientists will re-discover and study you for decades. Your body can add to the body of some future science. They'll talk about your Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava and the level of technology you must have possessed to hand-craft it from animal droppings. They'll academically deconstruct your entire culture based on the contents of your ipod; they'll no doubt conclude you were a dick.

You'll finally be famous.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Necrosis?

People will laugh at the small size of your privates. You will become famopus. People will say "his privates point out the trail" the rejoinder will be "that is why so many people get lost". Hahahahahahaha
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Then again, perhaps it is better than eternal obscurity. :cry:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Everest#Ascents

A pretty remarkable feat:
First ascent without supplemental oxygen

On 8 May 1978, Italian climber Reinhold Messner and Austrian climber Peter Habeler made the first ascent without supplemental oxygen, using the southeast ridge route.[32][51]

First solo ascent

On 20 August 1980, Messner became the first person to reach the summit of the mountain solo. In so doing, he was also the first to solo summit without supplementary oxygen or support, traveling the Northwest route. He climbed for three days entirely alone from his base camp at 6,500 metres (21,300 ft).[32]
So apparently is is possible to do it without oxygen.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:44 pm

A little more on the death zone:
Another significant threat to climbers is low atmospheric pressure. The atmospheric pressure at the top of Everest is about a third of sea level pressure or 0.333 standard atmospheres (337 mbar), resulting in the availability of only about a third as much oxygen to breathe.[97]

Debilitating effects of the death zone are so great that it takes most climbers up to 12 hours to walk the distance of 1.72 kilometres (1.07 mi)) from South Col to the summit.[98] Achieving even this level of performance requires prolonged altitude acclimatization, which takes 40–60 days for a typical expedition. A sea-level dweller exposed to the atmospheric conditions at the altitude above 28,000 feet (8,500 m) without acclimatization would likely lose consciousness within 2 to 3 minutes.[99]
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm

You know who tried it and didn't make it (yet)?

Brian Blessed

ed

Post by ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Blessed climbed Mont Blanc at the age of seventeen, and he has remained an active mountaineer throughout his life.[14] He has attempted to climb Mount Everest on three separate occasions and reached the summit once [15]. During his attempt in 1991,[citation needed] the then 55-year-old climbed higher without oxygen than any other man of his age[16] before having to turn back to save another climber's life at 29,000 ft;[citation needed] the height record was broken by Sir Ranulph Fiennes in 2009. Blessed has successfully climbed Aconcagua in Argentina as well as Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. He also holds the record for being the oldest man to trek on foot to the magnetic North Pole,[16] and has undertaken an expedition deep into the jungles of Venezuela.
wiki

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:40 pm

ed wrote:
Blessed climbed Mont Blanc at the age of seventeen, and he has remained an active mountaineer throughout his life.[14] He has attempted to climb Mount Everest on three separate occasions and reached the summit once [15]. During his attempt in 1991,[citation needed] the then 55-year-old climbed higher without oxygen than any other man of his age[16] before having to turn back to save another climber's life at 29,000 ft;[citation needed] the height record was broken by Sir Ranulph Fiennes in 2009. Blessed has successfully climbed Aconcagua in Argentina as well as Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. He also holds the record for being the oldest man to trek on foot to the magnetic North Pole,[16] and has undertaken an expedition deep into the jungles of Venezuela.
wiki
He had to turn back at 29,000 ft? That's practically the top. only 29 more feet to go.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 pm

Well, it says he was saving another climber.

Again, we are writing of a man who, naked and armed only with a paring knife, slaughtered 10,000 Turks.

--J. "FRESH HORSES!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Beanbag

Post by Beanbag » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 am

Doctor X wrote:Well, it says he was saving another climber.

Again, we are writing of a man who, naked and armed only with a paring knife, slaughtered 10,000 Turks.

--J. "FRESH HORSES!" D.
It was a fruit knife.

Beanbag
I fear no gods, because they don't exist, but I fear the fool that truly Believes.

I'm voting Romney this time around, because I've never settled for the lesser of two evils.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I was trying to be deferential to the Turks.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Only severely gay people post pictures of Brian Blessed.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:10 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:Only severely gay people post pictures of Brian Blessed.

Damnation. Is there something going on here of which I am blissfully ignorant (again)?